• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible Transportation/ Pickup In Idaho?

TheShaman

The short version of my story is that I have located an M1009 that is in great condition and I have been working on the logistics specifically on how to get it from Boise, ID to anywhere near Baton Rouge, LA. I have been working with the seller since the moment I saw his listing and I have asked all the extremely important questions, reviewed pictures, and videos of the vehicle, and covered all my bases with insurance down to even having 2 separate people who are willing to make the drive out there with me. The vehicle is in extremely great mechanical condition. I have been working on the collective logistics focused on the sole goal of getting that truck from point A to just over 2021 miles ( or so ) to point B.

In sort, just the round trip drive non-stop would be roughly 64 hours ( a bit more driving the truck back at a top cruising speed of 65mph) and the man hours alone to make such a drive, pit stops, and being honest about such an undertaking would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 to maybe 2 weeks easily. I generally don't drive more than 10 hours solid a day by myself if I can help it.

With 2 drivers going up, in 1 vehicle 10 hours a day ( maybe more if we switch out going up) we could make it in 3 or so days. A day or 2 in order to link up with the seller, take the truck out for a good drive and give it one final once over plus the paperwork Then it would be advisable to have brand-new tires put on the truck (prior to making any such drive), as well as I also have to locate and either bring with me or ship up there some core items for general driving.

In a perfect world, from there, it's cruising at 65 for roughly 2021 miles back.

This IS the truck I have been hunting for in the mechanical operational condition I have been searching for a very long time.
  • When Logistics and Reality cross paths results in you asking yourself the really hard questions. Even harder is reaching out and asking for help, but after discussing my situation with a local and fellow member of SS. He shared what it took to get his Uni-Mog in hand, the shipper he used, and the cost... and then he told his good buddy ( me ) that I should check SS and reach out to see what options might be available.

So here I am. Reaching out to any and all who might have advice, knowledge, wisdom and provide any assistance towards relocating the truck just over 2000 miles. I am open to suggestions, and coordinating with individuals or a group of people to get this truck as close to BR, LA as possible. I know everyone's time is valuable and what I am asking and even trying to do may be over the top for such a truck. However, when you know " she's the one "...you fight for her.

• This is something that has been a long time coming and with the various challenges and changes personally over the past 8 or so months, I don't believe I have ever been so laser-focused and felt that this was The One so wholeheartedly.

No matter the outcome, I appreciate anyone within the SS family who even takes the time to read this.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The short version of my story is that I have located an M1009 that is in great condition and I have been working on the logistics specifically on how to get it from Boise, ID to anywhere near Baton Rouge, LA. I have been working with the seller since the moment I saw his listing and I have asked all the extremely important questions, reviewed pictures, and videos of the vehicle, and covered all my bases with insurance down to even having 2 separate people who are willing to make the drive out there with me. The vehicle is in extremely great mechanical condition. I have been working on the collective logistics focused on the sole goal of getting that truck from point A to just over 2021 miles ( or so ) to point B.

In sort, just the round trip drive non-stop would be roughly 64 hours ( a bit more driving the truck back at a top cruising speed of 65mph) and the man hours alone to make such a drive, pit stops, and being honest about such an undertaking would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 to maybe 2 weeks easily. I generally don't drive more than 10 hours solid a day by myself if I can help it.

With 2 drivers going up, in 1 vehicle 10 hours a day ( maybe more if we switch out going up) we could make it in 3 or so days. A day or 2 in order to link up with the seller, take the truck out for a good drive and give it one final once over plus the paperwork Then it would be advisable to have brand-new tires put on the truck (prior to making any such drive), as well as I also have to locate and either bring with me or ship up there some core items for general driving.

In a perfect world, from there, it's cruising at 65 for roughly 2021 miles back.

This IS the truck I have been hunting for in the mechanical operational condition I have been searching for a very long time.
  • When Logistics and Reality cross paths results in you asking yourself the really hard questions. Even harder is reaching out and asking for help, but after discussing my situation with a local and fellow member of SS. He shared what it took to get his Uni-Mog in hand, the shipper he used, and the cost... and then he told his good buddy ( me ) that I should check SS and reach out to see what options might be available.

So here I am. Reaching out to any and all who might have advice, knowledge, wisdom and provide any assistance towards relocating the truck just over 2000 miles. I am open to suggestions, and coordinating with individuals or a group of people to get this truck as close to BR, LA as possible. I know everyone's time is valuable and what I am asking and even trying to do may be over the top for such a truck. However, when you know " she's the one "...you fight for her.

• This is something that has been a long time coming and with the various challenges and changes personally over the past 8 or so months, I don't believe I have ever been so laser-focused and felt that this was The One so wholeheartedly.

No matter the outcome, I appreciate anyone within the SS family who even takes the time to read this.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Well, here goes. The M1009 is a Chevy Blazer. At least if something goes wrong it won't cost you an arm and a leg to have it hauled to the local Chevrolet Dealership. Many more people know how to work on these than a "Hummmer" for example. All going in your favor so far...

Me personally, tires would be near the top of the list. ANY sort of cracking or checkering would cause me to get new tires for a two thousand mile trip. Guessing that its current owner drives it regularly - more than a trip to the store? What about the rubber under the hood? Belts and hoses should look and feel new. Might even be worth buying a spare set of belts to take with you.

I'm sure there is more and hopefully some of the other guys will chime in. Another option would be to take a trailer with you. It could be an empty trailer down -- and even an empty trailer back home. AND if it all goes wrong on the way home you will have a cheap way to get your new-to-you M1009 home.

Last edited:

TheShaman

Much appreciated. Sage advise. While reviewing the service manual and remembering my days as a 78' Bronco Owner and working on Trucks from that era with my dad, belts have been on my mind as well. Everything overall looks really good. The one collective thing that kinda got me was that I came out of the gate with the most direct of questions ( can it make it back?). Through going down my checklist, it was determined that there is no spare ( he actually did go look around for one in his shop), no jack, and no tire iron. Tires definitely, especially if is good to drive back. The long drive and summer heat that is starting to roll in would pose a serious potential for failure along the 2021-mile stretch.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've got a chase vehicle and a credit card. Parts are readily available and not hideously expensive.

Personally, I'd inspect it all and replace anything that looks like it's about to let go and then make a run for it. Any tire shop will have tires that fit. Tractor supply has bottle jacks and jackstands. Belts and hoses are off the shelf. The starter bolts can be had from a Chevy dealer.

And any small trailer and pickup truck will move it.

Anything not obvious that actually lets go can be replaced when it does. I've done it this way more times than I can count, and up to a month ago it hadn't bit me more than a few trivial delays and some roadside mechanic work...

But don't listen to me. I've got a 5ton truck emergently in a shop 501 miles from destination with $4263 and counting in repair bills. And it's been there almost a month, with a (very patient and pleasant) customer waiting for it. My whole green iron activity is financed on a shoestring and this one is now seriously negative and ferociously burning capital.

Attachments

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to be a downer, but if you do drive it home, don't count on averaging 65MPH in the M1009. The naturally aspirated 6.2 was never known for its power climbing grades. I have an M1028 and I can tell you hills are 45 MPH (as long as they are not steep) and if you're maxing out the pedal to try and maintain 60-65 MPH, that engine will be screaming. I know the 3:08 gears will be better than the 4:56 in the pick ups, but nowhere near modern trucks for climbing. I would also suggest towing it on a trailer or a car tow dolly from s rental company (rent one up there for a one-way trip home and you won't be towing anything up there, it will save a few $$ in fuel). And if its unmolested M1009 , no AC so if the temps rise..........

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks