• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly buying a M1008 this week

TheFiganator

Hey guys. There is a 1986 CUCV m1008 for sale on base here, and I'm thinking about going for it. It wont be a daily driver. It will be a project/SHTF/toy for me. When I say "toy" I wont be abusing it. Just get a little muddy sometimes. Anyways, my issue is that he has a banks sidewinder turbo installed on it already. I'm still getting information from him about that. He's also asking A LOT of money for it. $7000 OBO. The truck seems to be in nice shape. No rust from what I saw. Haven't started it up yet. I wanted to come do a little research first. It's got 66K original miles. Any info would be great.

danoscooter

Ask if he has any maintenance records, any known issues, and how long he has owned it. Take it for a test drive and look it over really good. If its got a turbo and is in good shape he not asking a lot of money especially if it has been maintained and is roadworthy.

Skinny

Body looks pretty clean, I would hunt around looking for repairs either way.

At that price point I personally would want a fairly turn key rig only needing minor work. Also inspect the suspension since it has been modified. You do not want to find any hokey stuff like huge lift blocks or steering arms. The turbo adds some value and certainly makes it more enjoyable to drive.

I understand that someone may have purchased a CUCV at auction for $5k, doesn't make it right though. They could have been complete suckers if the trucks were in poor condition. I think a lot of people buying these on Ebay and such at that price point are either getting really good deals on runners or just got taken because it is a "bug out" vehicle or "prepper truck". At $5k, it should be a fairly rust free running truck that may need an injection pump or some maintenance but should be ready to drive and not an auction trailer it home because the transmission is missing deal in my opinion.

TheFiganator

I just took it out for a drive and looked over everything. It runs great. I'm actually surprised at how easy it cranked up, and idled. It also drove and shifted really well. I know next to nothing about these kind's of trucks, or any diesel for that matter. There was VERY little rust anywhere on the truck. The current owner is a Marine helo pilot. He said he's done all the maintenance on it himself sense he got it. I'm not a fan of the lift, or big tires. I'm not sure what I want to do with it.

Skinny

You will be a big fan of those sized tires when you put the stockers back on and realize 55mph is your new cruise speed :)

TheFiganator

Talked to the bank, and insurance company. Talked the guy down to $5800. Should find out tomorrow if the bank will give me the loan. I'm pretty excited. I've been wanting a project truck for a long time. I feel like this will be a good one.

TheFiganator

Here are a few pics I snapped. Does anyone know what the bolts are on the side of the bed? The guy I'm getting it from claims they were there when he bought it. 20150322_124938.jpg20150322_140613.jpg20150322_124953.jpg20150322_140449.jpg20150322_140550.jpg20150322_140601.jpg20150322_140606.jpg

cucvrus

I agree. It is a nice truck. Lose the lift kit and big tires and it will be a nicer truck. You will have no issues at highway speed. Take my word for it. I drove the same M1028A1 170K miles with the the whole truck stock. I always ran LT23585/R16 e range tires on it. I sold it last Saturday to another member on this site. After 19 years it still went on the interstate at 70+ with no problems.

MarcusOReallyus

I see two big fat screaming red flags.

Talked to the bank, .... Should find out tomorrow if the bank will give me the loan. I'm pretty excited. I've been wanting a project truck for a long time. I feel like this will be a good one.

If going into debt for a 30 year old truck makes any kind of sense to you, you have bought into the lie that we can live on debt and be prosperous. Expect to spend your life in debt, a slave to the lender, never truly free.

Our nation used to understand that. We used to understand that debt is slavery, and debt is shameful. Then the bankers sold us on the wonders of having it all NOW through the magic of debt, and now most of us spend our lives in debt and our nation is ruinously deeply in debt.

It's a stupid way to live. It only seems to make sense because most don't know any other way.

Wow the rear tie downs sure are twisted all to ****.
Yeah. The front bumper is pretty bent up too. From what I could see, the frame was fine.
That truck has probably been abused. Get it to a frame shop or at least a really good mechanic before you go into debt for it.

TheFiganator

I have the cash to buy the truck. But I don't want to do it that way. I'm taking the loan out in my wifes name, then I'll pay it back pretty quick to build her credit. As for taking it to a mechanic, I will. After I buy it. If it ends up having damage, I'll use the truck for parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks