• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly No More Trucks from DLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro, Did you go to the link above? Not only did they stop on GL but they stopped giving them to the forestry services.

:-(

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
One of the GL reps at the MVPA Convention gave the same canned "It's an EPA issue" response when I asked her about it. She was "confident" the issue would be favorably resolved soon.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any background information on the types/models of trucks that would not meet EPA emissions requirements? I thought older trucks were exempt due to age, and as time rolls on less and less of the older vehicles are on the road, so time ensures that the older trucks that are non-compliant would be removed from service eventually. I also find it hard to believe that M939 series trucks are affected, they are powered by engines that are commonplace in the commercial fleets of the country, same for HET, M35A3, FMTV, etc.

Now, if any military vehicle would be considered non-compliant based on emissions, the M35A2 would definitely fit the bill, I believe that's the reason multifuel engines are no longer made, mainly due to the fact that they can't pass emissions.

I don't think this will continue for long, multiple government agencies require these older trucks for their everyday operations (Forestry is one). Now, whether or not this continues for people like US, I don't know. It's a hat-toss whether or not the days of surplus truck auctions are over, but if we put enough pressure on our reps, maybe it will change for the better. It's not like we're asking the Govt. to not enforce the law, because it's not law from what I gather, but rather an informal agreement, and those can be influenced a little more easily.

EPA is stepping WAY over the bounds of what they were intended to do as a government agency. Rant off, because I know if I continue I'll bring politics into it, and I like being here.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the GL reps at the MVPA Convention gave the same canned "It's an EPA issue" response when I asked her about it. She was "confident" the issue would be favorably resolved soon.
Sounds like we need to put Swiss and Zout on another mission .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know that to be a fact in the last 11 days? Not taken delivery of but actually processing a new request.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any background information on the types/models of trucks that would not meet EPA emissions requirements?
If only we had such a list, such as the one posted on SS yesterday but quickly deleted. I know the list contained all NSNs with Detriot Diesel power. No FMTVs though.

corvette9

I don't buy the EPA story. Diesel trucks back in the 90's did not fall under EPA rules. I have a 99 and a 2000 civi. flatbed and wrecker. There is no EPA decals on either one. Even as new as 2003 there where no cats on diesel trucks. Not even my old 03 dually Chevy. But I could be wrong. If anyone here is good at research. Look up the Patiot act. Back when that was passed I read the section that stated civi's could no longer own Mil spec vehicles. Looks like they never enforced it but it was there. Or maybe they are now. There was also and section on mil spec. uniforms.

zout

I understand the EPA involvement but do not agree with it for my own reasons I wish not to expound on. There are other issues behind this driving it - not going to expound on that either.

Kind of like watching a magic show - what you think you see might not be what your really missing.

Sitting back and just going to watch info coming in on this that are more involved directly just to see what plays out.
Good thread and I for one do not want to throw it off track. But I see reppercussions in other area's that kind of play in hand with that OK notice above. Tid bits here and there - just like watching a magic show.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If only we had such a list, such as the one posted on SS yesterday but quickly deleted. I know the list contained all NSNs with Detriot Diesel power. No FMTVs though.
You mean like post 115 in this thread?

(I merged it.)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
At this point, the following needs to happen:

A. It appears that some sort of understanding exists or existed between TACOM & EPA that is at the heart of the matter. We need a to wait a few days and see what the "final" decision is. You can be assured that people like TNJ and Memphis and exerting what pull they may have along with who knows how many states and their users (rural fire departments, etc.).

B. Once the "final" decision is made, if it's not to our liking, then we will need to organize a calm and intelligent counter response. The MVPA, SEMA, ATHS, etc. will need to mobilize and get their members behind a push to correct this. We will need to create as large a coalition as possible, in order to maximize our voice and try and make it heard.

C. Once a coalition has been created and a course of action decided upon, there will be directives regarding contact of political representatives.

If we can not create a unified coalition with positive talking points, then we will not be successful. Calling or emailing your representatives and expounding on how much you hate the govt. or EPA is counter productive.

Remember, this is not the first time we have faced this sort of thing: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ruction-of-all-End-Use-items-(end-of-trucks-)

Gunzy

I have personally inspected the engine ID plates on the NHC250 and the 8.3 6CTA Cummins engines and both stated that these engine were compliant with EPA regulations for date of manufacture. Now I can't say about the Detroit diesels or the Cat engines. How about someone get eyes on those ID tags and chime in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, we opened this up for meaningful discussion. If you have something meaningful and factual to add, please do so. If all you have is speculation and anger, please find another outlet to vent your frustrations. If you have info you don't want to add, keep it to yourself. Taunting people here with it only fuels the fire. I have no problem locking this down if folks can't follow these basic directives. Bag the emotions for right now.

I just hope it's not locked again by the time my day is over. There is allot of info to be determined, as with all conversations theres always mis informations to sort through to get to the truth. I just hope our members and Mods can keep this important info open and flowing. Why can't the Mods give out vacation time for the big fudge stirrers? Delete there post and give them a day off.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hope it's not locked again by the time my day is over. There is allot of info to be determined, as with all conversations theres always mis informations to sort through to get to the truth. I just hope our members and Mods can keep this important info open and flowing. Why can't the Mods give out vacation time for the big fudge stirrers? Delete there post and give them a day off.

Someone just got a point in this thread in the last half hour. Eventually that leads to banning by the system. Close enough?

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
The EPA fought this battle with the US Army, and the US Army lost. Hence the death of the multifuel engine....
I'm wondering if the current situation isn't related to the issues in California and requiring all diesel trucks to be retrofitted with 2010 or newer engines. With a very limited exception list, every diesel truck in CA has to meet that requirement or be taken permanently off the road. Other states appear to be considering similar legislation. There's a lot of pressure from various environmentalist groups to get older vehicles out of service, and as a group we're a pretty big and easy to hit target.

Perhaps the EPA is trying to force a similar regulation across the board under federal auspices, and is starting with the DOD and excessed mlitary vehicles? Granted, considering the relatively small number of these trucks, and their very limited overall impact on the environment, it's a pretty ridiculous idea. But since when has anything the EPA has done actually made sense from anything but a purely bureaucratic perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks