• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post auction deuce inspection Camp dodge

rat4spd

I met up with Scott this morning at Camp Dodge. I really wanted to come preview but just couldn't make it.

The good news:

The engine was rebuilt in 1981, the generator rebuilt in Sept 2000.
It has a spring seat (is this air ride?), heater, air shift front diff, and a brand new vinyl cargo cover (albeit tan). It also has some tools, fire extinguisher, and -10 in a binder. The back has troop seats folded up.

The body looks clean, and relatively rust free, no puddles underneath the chassis. The radiator had a smidge of pressure in it and was almost full.

The engine fired right up in about 2 seconds. I can't tell the difference in the turbos so I'm not sure which it has. I'd have let it warm up an revved it a little but there is a problem that prevented me from doing that.

The bad news:

The tires are maybe 20% in the back, there is no spare. The air compressor is locked up, hence me not wanting to hear the turbo because the buzzer was screaming in my ear.

So I NEED a compressor, and a belt, in somewhat of a hurry depending on how quickly battlecreek is.

If anyone has a lead on a good compressor, PLEASE shoot me a price. Scott said there'd be no issue wrenching in the lot, and it looks to be an easy swap.

gonorth

I don't really know anything about those compressors but I would think they could be rebuilt.

How do you know it is locked up? It may just be missing the belt. But if it is I might suspect there was a reason for removing the belt, like it was rattling or a severe air leak in the system somewhere.

This is also just a guess, but maybe, just maybe you could bring along a gas powered compressor and run an air hose hooked up to the rear air outlet to supply air pressure for the ride home. You would need to borrow the fitting that hooks on the back from someone if there wasn't one in your truck.

rat4spd

I tried turning it. It's locked up. I thought about putting a compressor in the back. ranchopper has a compressor. It's a matter of shipping it. If all else fails, I will put air in the back.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EUC cleared, ready to pick up! BC in 6 business days.:p:-D

FU! I mean congrats bro! Maybe by the end of the week for me. I'm off work all next week anyways.

Still, it sucks (for me) that you win a WEEK after me and just because you get super Brandi and I get Danial, I get lapped.

Next time I stumble on to something kewl, I'll wait until it's in the driveway before I tell you about it. "0

You going to go get it in the morning?

It's not a competetion - but it is. :)

50shooter

Awesome to hear your "booty" was still in the tool box. I made out well on one too but the others were stripped post auction. I also had a -10 in the glove box which is much nicer than sitting on the puter to read it.

They don't mind the wrenching in the parking lot most of the time. I suspect that is why so much "stuff" dissapears from trucks. It's like having a Napa in the parking lot... just to much temptation for some people.

Good luck on the compressor, at least it is really easy to get to.

Green_gator

Rat,
Give a shout to my brother, he goes by Garlstedt on the site. We had a compressor implode on us coming back from Kansas. Hooked up a quick disconnect to the air line that is in the cab. Used a 12V air compressor to feed air to the system that way. Not an ideal fix but it got us over the Rockies so it should work for Iowa. He should be able to shoot you some pictures of the set up. The tanks do not hold air for long but it is comforting to have when you are getting close to a town or large, steep hill. The quick disconnect you can get at any hardware store alogn with a length of hose with the male adapter on each end. I would suggest as large a compressor as you can take if you already have one or as large as you can afford. We worked the small one hard during our trip. We are headed to Camp Dodge on April 16 to pick up his new deuce. Maybe they can use another vehicle to fill up the air in your tires. I can tell you that it takes forever at a gas station to fill up ten deuce tires that are in the 30 PSI range.

50shooter

Rat, being that you bought this truck, maybe you know what the camo paint job is called on your truck? I won one with the same paint job and one w/the "normal" camo paint job. I've heard reference to Viet Nam camo and woodland which is more of the normal version similar to our old BDU's.

Thanks
Jason

Gastrap

I saw your machine,rat, sitting across the lot from me today as I winched mine up on the trailer, pretty easy to spot with the tan! I got lucky with tool box contents too, as I posted in my intro thread. Didn't even notice 'till I got home.

Good news- There were several more Deuces being turned in today. the lot is filling back up a bit:-D

rat4spd

I saw your machine,rat, sitting across the lot from me today as I winched mine up on the trailer, pretty easy to spot with the tan! I got lucky with tool box contents too, as I posted in my intro thread. Didn't even notice 'till I got home.

Good news- There were several more Deuces being turned in today. the lot is filling back up a bit:-D

I got out there on Wednesday. Sgt Birkenholtz was pretty good to deal with.

Gastrap

Yes, Sgt. Birkenholz was great to talk to. When I was in his office he had a dozen padlocks on his desk for the fresh drop-offs. He was cruising around in a just turned in 113CAV deuce W/W, turret ring & whistler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks