• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post HMMWV influx: aftermarket or OEM canvas parts?

kestrelnh

With luck, in about 10 weeks I'll collect my new-to-me HMMWV. I'm so excited! :jumpin: Like many on the forum, I'm a new HMWMV owner, and like many, have some work to do to bring my V back into condition. I've been pleasantly surprised at the availability of hard parts (hubs, glow plugs, seals, etc.), but the soft (canvas) parts seem to be pretty hard and dear to come by, probably caused by the increase in the demand of ~2000 somewhat ragged Vs coming on the market.

I'm not sure what the uncovered lifespan expectation of a canvas top or doors is, but with so many new Vs needing new fabric, have any of our suppliers started to go through the process of getting the companies that make doors and tops for the military to make some for us, or are they out there already? Searching for the NSNs on google gets me to a couple of firms that say they make these, but my guess is there needs to be a good sized production run.

I'm thinking about converting mine to a two-man pickup for both utility, and because there seems to be better parts availability on the two-man configurations. GovLiquidation has a bunch of NOS 2-man canvas kits coming up, but they're in Barstow, CA (I'm in NH) and come in lots of 4. If anyone near NH is interested in trading some 2 man parts for 4 man parts when I get mine in, or if you have some 4-man doors in workable condition you could part with, please PM me! I might just try to have two different configurations available to me.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to owning mine, and hope to be a good custodian of it. I've learned so much from SS already, and expect to learn a lot more as I get my hands dirty.

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

Saw a 2 man kit for $575 on the big auction site. I don't think GMA or anyone can start making and selling them for less than that. Check the price on Wrangler tops, etc!

kestrelnh

I agree, the two man kits look pretty reasonable right now, which is one of the reasons I may go that way. Another reason is that here in NH, the less canvas I have trying to support snow load, the better!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. The prices will be what supply and demand dictate. I'm just curious what those supply/demand curves are doing with the population of publicly owned HMMWVs increasing so fast.

KansasBobcat

I agree, the two man kits look pretty reasonable right now, which is one of the reasons I may go that way. Another reason is that here in NH, the less canvas I have trying to support snow load, the better!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. The prices will be what supply and demand dictate. I'm just curious what those supply/demand curves are doing with the population of publicly owned HMMWVs increasing so fast.
I would anticipate continued strong demand as most of the ones auctioned have been soft tops and have been outside for years. There is always a possibility that the government may dump thousands of soft tops and doors and they again become cheap. May be better to buy now before thousands of more HMMWVs are auctioned Just my conjecture...

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If you ever get up near Colchester VT I think I've got a few tops for HMMWVs, not exactly sure what's there but there is a nice set of front x-doors, a few soft doors, I think a new 2 man soft top (not sure which color) and a 2 man cargo cover as well as some other stuff.
Welcome to the site.

kestrelnh

If you ever get up near Colchester VT I think I've got a few tops for HMMWVs, not exactly sure what's there but there is a nice set of front x-doors, a few soft doors, I think a new 2 man soft top (not sure which color) and a 2 man cargo cover as well as some other stuff.
Welcome to the site.
Thank you!

Last edited:

hummer4x4guy

Kest, when you say canvas you are referring to the vinyl top and doors right? Taken care of there is no reason they shouldn't last a long long time.

kestrelnh

Kest, when you say canvas you are referring to the vinyl top and doors right? Taken care of there is no reason they shouldn't last a long long time.
That's good to hear. I've so far collected three NOS soft doors for prices that in this market aren't ruinous (around $90 a piece). My hope is the top and curtain are in OK condition when I receive the vehicle.

I contacted Breton industries in upstate NY, one of the suppliers of canvas parts for the military, and they got back to me: "Yes we do sell the doors and tops to the public but currently we are committed to the Government on many releases for doors so we will not be able to quote or ship until next May/June due to our backlog of orders. Kindly try again next April."

They're by no means the only ones who stepped in for GMA, so there is hope for increased supply. This article ( http://www.army.mil/article/128737 from summer 2014) suggests the military was paying between $65-$90 for a new door, depending on color. One surplus vendor offered me new doors at $400/each, and tracking ebay prices suggests we're in the middle of an extraordinarily strong seller's market, with prices skyrocketing as we type. The 2 man soft top kit for $575 which is a good deal was $345 from the same seller two months ago.

My current plan is cobble together enough canvas on the V to keep the weather out, and when this price storm eventually passes, figure out how I want to proceed for a final configuration.

Many thanks for all your input :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks