• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post what is needed to Title an FMTV as an RV in YOUR state.

coachgeo

Figured it might be helpful to start a thread to benefit everyone. Others going thru this process please post what you have learned. Suggest posting reference, requirements and dates.

Ohio: According to call to BMV office... Must have "affixed" in the camper portion a Bed, Table, Stove, and Fridge. as of Dec. 2017

more detail from: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4501

(Q) "Recreational vehicle" means a vehicular portable structure that meets all of the following conditions:
(1) It is designed for the sole purpose of recreational travel.
(2) It is not used for the purpose of engaging in business for profit.
(3) It is not used for the purpose of engaging in intrastate commerce.
(4) It is not used for the purpose of commerce as defined in 49 C.F.R. 383.5, as amended.
(5) It is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4905., 4921., or 4923. of the Revised Code.
(6) It is classed as one of the following:
(a) "Travel trailer" or "house vehicle" means a nonself-propelled recreational vehicle that does not exceed an overall length of forty feet, exclusive of bumper and tongue or coupling. "Travel trailer" includes a tent-type fold-out camping trailer as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.
(b) "Motor home" means a self-propelled recreational vehicle that has no fifth wheel and is constructed with permanently installed facilities for cold storage, cooking and consuming of food, and for sleeping.
(c) "Truck camper" means a nonself-propelled recreational vehicle that does not have wheels for road use and is designed to be placed upon and attached to a motor vehicle. "Truck camper" does not include truck covers that consist of walls and a roof, but do not have floors and facilities enabling them to be used as a dwelling.
(d) "Fifth wheel trailer" means a vehicle that is of such size and weight as to be movable without a special highway permit, that is constructed with a raised forward section that allows a bi-level floor plan, and that is designed to be towed by a vehicle equipped with a fifth-wheel hitch ordinarily installed in the bed of a truck.
(e) "Park trailer" means a vehicle that is commonly known as a park model recreational vehicle, meets the American national standard institute standard A 119.5(1988 ) for park trailers, is built on a single chassis, has a gross trailer area of four hundred square feet or less when set up, is designed for seasonal or temporary living quarters, and may be connected to utilities necessary for the operation of installed features and appliances.

PS- thanks to those below whom pointed toward looking at the states Legal Definition(s) of RV vehicle types.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Kansas
An RV, according to Kansas law, is a vehicle or "vehicular-type unit" built on a chassis, that has been designed for use as temporary living quarters for camping, vacation, travel and general recreation. In addition, an RV must also have these basic features:

• Electrical system stronger than 12 volts.
  • Provisions for plumbing.
  • Wired for area heating.
Motor homes, campers, and recreational vehicles (RVs) that meet all the states criteria are registered with the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) under a separate type of RV title, though the registration process itself is the same as registering a passenger vehicle. Visit our page on Car Registration in Kansas for steps to register.

If the recreational vehicle meets ALL of the criteria listed in the statute, it will be registered as
a “RV-Titled” recreational vehicle. The following scale is used to calculate the taxes.
Age Prior to the Calendar Year of Registration
Tax Calculation
5 years or less
$70.00 plus $.90 per 100 pounds of weight
6 years to 10 years
$50.00 plus $.70 per 100 pounds of weight
11 years or more
$30.00 plus $.50 per 100 pounds of weight
RV-Titled vehicles, like taxed when tagged, have registration years which are based on parts of
two calendar years. When an RV changes age categories the calculation for taxes will be split
between two age categories for the registration period. The number of months in each calendar
year, will be determined by the primary owner’s name.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michigan is pretty basic.

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.32a “Motor home” defined.
Sec. 32a.
“Motor home” means a motor vehicle constructed or altered to provide living quarters, including permanently installed cooking and sleeping facilities, and is used for recreation, camping, or other noncommercial use.

History: Add. 1976, Act 26, Imd. Eff. Feb. 27, 1976

Sgthoffer

In WV

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/ChapterEntire.cfm?chap=17a

[h=1]WEST VIRGINIA CODE[/h]
‹ Back |
Print​
CHAPTER 17A. MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION, REGISTRATION, CERTIFICATE OF TITLE, AND ANTITHEFT PROVISIONS.
ARTICLE 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED.

§17A-1-1. Definitions.

(ll) "Motor home" means every vehicle, designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into an integral part of or permanently attached to a self-propelled motor vehicle, chassis or van including: (1) Type A motor home built on an incomplete truck chassis with the truck cab constructed by the second stage manufacturer; (2) Type B motor home consisting of a van-type vehicle which has been altered to provide temporary living quarters; and (3) Type C motor home built on an incomplete van or truck chassis with a cab constructed by the chassis manufacturer.

CMPPhil

Hi

Would add a comment if you vehicle is insured as an antigue, the same things that make it an RV may invalidate your antique vehicle insurance.

Just a thought.

Ran into this on my 3 ton CMP radio truck, when my antique insurer actually looked at my Web page. Saw that it was set up in the back with fold out double bed, shower hot water and toilet. In my case the accepted my explination that there was no cooking facilities, which was their chief concern and that all the other fitting were not permanently attached.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:

utahpow

UTAH

Link to site:

http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles/motor-homes

Description:

Every motor home operated in Utah must be titled and registered. Each motor home owner must pay a registration fee at the time of initial registration and annually thereafter. Uniform fees also apply.

Requirements for Titling:

Title:-
Form TC-656, Utah Title Application
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspections, if being titled in Utah for the first time. See Form TC-661, Certificate of Inspection. (New vehicles sold by a Utah dealer are exempt)- At least one person whose name will appear on new title

Requirements for Registration:
- Utah safety inspection certificate, if required
- Utah emission certificate, if required
- Payment of uniform fees- Payment of registration fees

Exemptions to Registration:
- Owned and operated by non-residents of Utah
- Owned and operated by the United States government

Montana requires an inspection by a police officer and submission of an Form MV-95. Vehicle must meet four of these five requirements:

1. Cooking, refrigerator or icebox
2. Potable water supply system, including a faucet and sink
3. Self-contained toilet
4. Heating or air conditioning, or both
5. Separate 110-volt or 125-volt electrical power supply or a liquefied petroleum gas supply, or both

Of note, FMTV's (RV's or not) 11 years or older can be registered (extremely inexpensively) with permanent license plates/registration in MT! No smog, VIN or equipment inspections. There are services online that will handle the entire transaction. There is an extremely high percentage of $1,000,000+ RV's, Ferraris, McLarens, Lamborghinis, etc. with Montana license plates around the country due to ridiculously low tax/registration rates...I see them all the time in Vegas and Socal.

Last edited:

Hermannator

A Montana LLC IS WORTH EVERY PENNY spent to establish. With my Montana LLC I never pay sales tax regardless of the state I purchase a truck, RV or race car or the value of the vehicle. My LMTV was easily registered as a truck in Montana and the folks at the registered agent, did all the work. After 10 years of age the tag becomes permanent with a single tag fee equivalent to registration. My registered agent charges about $500 total to register all vehicle regardless the value. The fee covers the tax, registration fees , the fee to go to the local court house to do the work and accomplish the registration. Each year, I just renew on line for vehicles less than 10 years of age (BMW, MAZDA, JEEP and RAM) my lmtv, RV, etc were one time cost at the same price. Trailers are a one time permanent registration , never have to renew.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Montana LLC IS WORTH EVERY PENNY spent to establish. With my Montana LLC I never pay sales tax regardless of the state I purchase a truck, RV or race car or the value of the vehicle. My LMTV was easily registered as a truck in Montana and the folks at the registered agent, did all the work. After 10 years of age the tag becomes permanent with a single tag fee equivalent to registration. My registered agent charges about $500 total to register all vehicle regardless the value. The fee covers the tax, registration fees , the fee to go to the local court house to do the work and accomplish the registration. Each year, I just renew on line for vehicles less than 10 years of age (BMW, MAZDA, JEEP and RAM) my lmtv, RV, etc were one time cost at the same price. Trailers are a one time permanent registration , never have to renew.
So is it a RV ?

Hermannator

The only vehicle I have ever had in Montana is my RV and that was for vacation travel. The registered agent takes care of every detail and I have NEVER had to bring a vehicle to Montana for an inspection or any reason related to registration or titling. It really couldn't be easier.

John-

Thanks for helping to pave our roads!! Unfortunately there's not enough money left in our budget to keep plowing them! We've gotten over 28 inches of snow in the last 2 weeks...We need more of you to register your trucks in MT!! :)

Merry Christmas!

coachgeo

John-

Thanks for helping to pave our roads!! Unfortunately there's not enough money left in our budget to keep plowing them! We've gotten over 28 inches of snow in the last 2 weeks...We need more of you to register your trucks in MT!! :)

Merry Christmas!
Maybe that is a side biz you might should consider. Contract with City, County, state.... to plow. Or heck encourage a Neighborhood leader (with % incentive?) to collect a plowing deposit. When it reaches % your comfortable with... plow it and bill rest?

Granted at 28" maybe you should start buying surplus military airfield? snow blowers to rebuild for the front of your trucks:p

Last edited:
Haha...I happen to have an LMTV with a snow plow!!...I assure you that I, my friends and my neighbors have EXCELLENT road access!

The rest of my fellow Montanans can use the registration taxes :)

20171203_134552.jpg

Hermannator

My LMTV M 1078 is listed as a truck weighing more than 12,000 lbs not an RV.

My 2004 Showhauler Freightliner Class 8 RV is registered as an RV over 10 years of age with permanent tag, never paid tax on the RV despite it being a high value property.

IMG_2280.jpg

Deer Creek sent me these cards with my 2015 RAM 3500 tags. I'm sharing these because I have no vested interest in the company and make nothing from sharing the info ( so I don't get flamed for sales) this is a simple FYI.

Hermannator

I have other vehicles registered in Texas so I'm paving roads in both places. I try not to make this a widely discussed topic to keep some politician from creating a law to prevent me from having a Montana based race team. I already spend enough money on my hobby without adding an additional tax burden.

Aernan

CALIFORNIA
this is the best information I can find.

362. A "house car" is a motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. A motor vehicle to which a camper has been temporarily attached is not a house car except that, for the purposes of Division 11 (commencing with Section 21000) and Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000), a motor vehicle equipped with a camper having an axle that is designed to support a portion of the weight of the camper unit shall be considered a three-axle house car regardless of the method of attachment or manner of registration. A house car shall not be deemed to be a motortruck.

As Tom wrote, the DMV generally wants to see some "permanent" modification for cooking and/or toilet facilities. But it will definitely depend on what inspector you get when you drive up -- there's really nothing you can point them to in writing. Note that in the judgment I quoted above, an extensively modified truck tractor was still required to register as a commercial vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks