• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Potential new member (M818 questions)

KRAKMT

I have a line on a 5ton but it comes with a dilemma. Depending on the value the county may not be able to sell by simple sealed bid. and I am obligated to point out the legal issue. I have read and deciphered as much as I can of this great forum but I think I need to seek a few expert opinions.So... ball park and is it an m52 or a m818?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

KRAKMT

I found this post by NickAir
Good Question.

Price range is approximately:
$5000 and under for a poor example that has several issues needing repair to start and operate properly.
$5000 - 8000 for an example that is operational, but ugly, needing paint and a few issues repaired, but will drive.
$8000 - 12000 for a good example with little to no issues and few rebuilt components, straight body and upgraded tires.
$12000 and up for a great example with no issues and a striaght body, good mechanical condition, W/W, hardtop, modified, bobed, new paint and upgraded tires.

Parts avialibility is excellent. Filters and belts at NAPA. Most all parts on internet. Several large surplus vendors.

I love my 818. It is my favorite of 4 different trucks.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it runs as good as it looks, yes, it is worth every penny, even if minor issues exist the can be repaired. The prices you posted reflect
the high end of the commercial market for these trucks, except for the bobbed version. (that is like neutering your prize bull). No commercial value of a bobbed M818. Collectors values are much lower.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So anyone disagree that it's value is reasonably more than $2500?
GP sold one at auction recently for $2800. Theirs had a winch. A PTO winch is worth $1000....

Auction value on the truck in the pic is $1500-$3500. My opinion based on comparable trucks sold. Sometimes there's outliers, like John's $600 truck...

KRAKMT

So an update on the m818.
The commissioners got an appraisal from Boyce Equipment that stated the value at $5000. So they pulled it from the auction and will resubmit for sale in the spring.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's laughable honestly. That's full retail for a known good M818 that has been gone through.

Appraisals carry more credibility if they're accompanied by an offer to buy.

I'm frequently asked for values on items. I give it as a range - I tell them what I'd be willing to pay, and what I'd be looking for if I was selling it.

PM sent

Jeepsinker

That is laughable. Forget that. Buy one that is a known good truck from one of us. Let them sit on that sucker until it rots, or they get real.

I'll bet they can't sell it, then they call Boyce back, and Boyce will offer them $500.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry that I'm a late arrival to this thread.

Thank you Warthog for mentioning the XM818 we just recently got from the Midland (Texas) County Sheriff's Office.

From the most recent post by the OP of this thread, it seems the Commissioners are NOT very anxious to actually liquidate this truck. If they were, they would subscribe to the most simplistic premise of auctions..... It boils down to what a WILLING BUYER will pay a WILLING SELLER. Hence, if they place a minimum reserve bid requirement too high, they will have a hard time mustering the attention of any of those WILLING BUYERS.

Please keep us posted in THIS thread on the progress of this potential sale.
Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks