• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Potential Transmission Issue

dodgemain

Hi,

I have a 1985 M998 with potential transmission issues. I say potential because maybe it is fine as I have limit experience with these trucks. My main complaint is shifting is very weak to the point not even sure if it is shifting.

I installed a tachometer to better monitor the shifts. It seems to stay around 1500 to 2000 RPM's. At 35 MPH the engine is well over 2000 RPM's. Does this sound right? What are the typical shift points?

The modulator cable that was on it would not return to a neutral position. So, I replace it with a new one it does the same thing. It works fine when the cable is straight. Once it is routed to the engine the bends in the cable will not let it return.

I have changed the fluid and filter. The fluid did not smell burnt and there was little to no junk in the pan. Also, checked the governor and it looked good.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does putting it under load change the shifting characteristics? Like towing something or pulling up a hill?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't feel mine shift at all either but I know it's not running crazy RPM, well otherwise than wound out where it should be at 55mph.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks