• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Powder Coat Q?

knattrass

Had the head surfaced and baked. Guy said to have the exh manifold powder coated. Does it hold up? Worth $70? Should I stick with silver since my engine is silver? Oh, the guy also recommended baking the int & exh to clean them? Good idea? Said to use a wire brush on the valves & piston tops to knock off the carbon. Any suggestions on cleaning would be appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The person to ask would be Devilman96. Half his truck is powdercoated. If you do ask him, be patient. He's busier than a 1 legged man winnin an arse kickin contest. Finally! It's so refreshing to see someone else who says Deetroit the same way I do!

dma251

I have had a lot of powdercoating done over the years, and am currnetly in the process of powdercoating the cab of my hemtt restoration project.

Powdercoating is basically taking a polyester plastic colored powder and using electrical forces to cause it to temporarily "stick" to a part and then moving it into an oven and baking it at approx 300-400 degrees F. for 15-30 minutes. heat and time vary, but that is the general range. The powder melts down and forms a shell over the part you are powdercoating. Because heat is what melts the powder, heat is what will also burn it off.

I would strongly recommend that you consider using Jet-Hot Coating http://www.jet-hot.com/ They will sandblast the inside and outside of your exhaust parts, and then coat them with a very high-tech ceramic material that is made specifically to hold up to high exhaust temps, and looks great for a very long time.

There are other companies out there that offer the same thing, but Jet-Hot has been around longest, and has a proven history of truly exceptional customer service and great work. I had them coat a motorcycle header I accidentally damamged a couple years ago, and they really impressed me with their work, and service. It really wasn't that expensive.

If you go ahead and powdercoat your exhaust, it will burn off in short-order.

I'm going to have Jet-Hot do my entire exhaust system from the turbo housing, manifolds, muffler, and all the clamps, pipes, etc. Should have it on in a couple months.

devilman96

Ditto on Jet Hot for exhaust... You CAN powder your pipes etc but like DMA says it will not stay for long. I did mine in PC when I was doing the truck and about 4K later you can see where its already wearing thin on the J pipe. When it goes out I will go with stainless...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Jet Hot is the bomb. I've had Chrysler small block, big block and Hemi headers done and it was by far the best looking and longest lasting coating.

knattrass

It seemed like they were fast to want my money and I recalled that it was a polyester which has a short life under temp. I'll track down Jet Hot. Aside what Lane has to say about you guys, I am starting to like it here.

Jones

Ceramic coatings are the way to go for any hot areas; exhaust, turbo, etc.
Another thing to remember about powder-coating is that, since it's a bake-on plastic, it makes a wonderful insulator. I did a show car Model T frame once... then had to go back and grind down to bare metal everywhere I needed a ground, or for conductivity. Once I decided that the frame should have just been painted I found out the next "powder-coating fun fact"; Properly applied, it's practically impossible to remove.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks