• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Powder Coating a M101A1 Frame and Bed?

0352Marine

Anybody ever Powder Coat the frame of a M101A1 or Powder Coat the Bed or powder coat anything? I put pictures in my Photo Album on the M101A1 Project. It is slow going with removing the paint and grime for my new M101A1 and I do not want to have to wait that long to use it. I got an estimate for Sandblasting and Powder Coating the Frame for under $200.00. I have always heard that powder coating is tougher then paint, but I do not think they can do it in Desert Tan. Although they said they can send out a sample to match the color and they can do it in flat and a choice of textures, but not sure if it will look the same. Could I use the Powder Coating as a primer and paint over it with Desert Tan after or will it not stick to the powder coating? Any experience shared on powder coating would be a great help. Thank you.

ryker725

I had a set of home made bumpers for my Suzuki Samuray blasted and powdercoated in a flat black textured finish a few years ago for $250. That was me doing ALL of the prep work and they simply blasted and coated. $200 for doing a M101 frame is a steal.

By the way here are the bumpers I built..

Attachments

0352Marine

Sandblast and Powder Coat

Thank you twa@ezdn.net and ryker725 for your responses. Hopefully the $200 price will hold up. They gave this to me over the phone from my description of the work to be done, but I have to take it over there for a firm price. Any experience with how powder coated paint matches regular paint or painting over the top of a powder coat job? ryker725 - :ditto:on the nice bumpers. Thank you for your pictures. twa@ezdn.net - I really like the set up on your M1009 Photo Album. It looks perfect for camping.

AMX

Many power coats will fade in uv light. You can scuff and shoot right over powder coat with no problems. I have done it several times.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Brother's neighbor has a powder coating business and built a new oven big enough to do the Deuce.

Oh yeah baby.

:)

0352Marine

Hilarious Tag Line

swbradley1 - Not on subject, but your tag line is hilarious.

You can use anything as a Suppository as long as it has at least one rounded edge. - Haspin '11 :funny:

quickfarms

Who did you get that quote from?

I have used PSC in the past, they were in santa fe springs but move to chino or chino hills.

One thing to think about powder coating is it does not like it when the part that is powder coated flexes.

The second thing is you can not touch it up. you have to use a mathing paint.

The advantage is that is does not scratch like paint.

I have thought about using the bedliner stuff on the inside of the tud for durability.

Wolf.Dose

Liquid technical plastic will do it as well, which you can spray paint. The sicrets is that ALL rust must be propperly removed. And a first class primer. Else after several years the brown gold will come up again!
Wolf

paradeduty

I bought a new 14K equipment trailer about 3 yrs ago and the company that makes them (PJ Trailers) switched all of their new trailers to powdercoating claiming that it held up better. I have to say that overall they are right. I would have to guess that most of the rust spots/lines on the trailer are probably from abuse (chains/binders) and probably some from the previously mentioned flexing. But as far as the vast majority of the 30' long trailer holding up to the snow and salt in Michigan - it has done well. Dave.

paradeduty

As an afterthought, you might want to give Stalwart a message on here - if I remember correctly, Damon who began the rebuilding of his HEMTT had the entire cab powdercoated. Although not the same as the frame of a trailer, the cab is a full 8' wide and might have taken some flexing on that 8x8. He might be able to let you know how it is holding up. Actually, now that I think more about it, I think Damon powdercoated the whole cab inside and out and then painted the outside OD. Just a thought. Dave.

Nonotagain

I've had some dealing on powder coating some military items and for small items it works well, though it is thick.

The issue is that some items coated exhibit small pin holes which will rust.

A friend purchased a rotisserie for a car restoration and paid extra for the powder coating. After removing the body from the frame the rotisserie was moved outside and got rained on. A couple of hours later rust spots started to appear as small orange weep holes.

Powders need to be heated to melt which will require you to remove the wiring harness. Also and oils inside the frame will come out once heated.

IMO, wire wheel the frame and coat it with POR15 and call it a day.

0352Marine

Thanks quickfarms. I was born in Covina. I contacted ARC Sandblasting in Azusa at 626-334-1516 and described what I wanted done and the closest thing they could compare to it was a sandrail frame and they said they would sanblast and powder coat a sandrail for $200. I figure a M101 Frame has a similiar amount of surface area as a sandrail frame approximately. I will post something when I get a firm price. I sent about 10 pictures over to Ron at PSC Powdercoatings (Thank you for the recommendation) and gave him the dimmensions of the frame and bed and I will post something when I get the estimate on the sandblasting and powdercoating. I am also considering the Bedliner option and I looked at Herculiner and Monstaliner and it would cost about $200 (Herculiner had the lower price) for two gallons and that would probably do the inside of the bed and the underside of the bed - not sure if I could then spray the Gillespie 686 Tan over the bedliner to have it all match - do you think it would stick?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be very leary of a $200 trailer powdercoat job. I'll say that if you can get your trailer done for $200.00 you are either:

1. Brother In Law
2. Someone who is new to the business
3. Getting exactly what you pay for

I have a friend that has been commercially powder coating for the past 10 years and has 3 ovens. He has coated just about anything you can think of, including sandrails and mechanical stuff. On old stuff that is greasy or oily they actually torch (oxy acet) the frame and blast it again. Thats the only way you would get a good job that will last for some time. My guess is that $100 would cover not much more than the material, so that leaves you $100 for the blasting, prep, etc..

Not trying to discourage you, just let you know of the costs that I have seen in front of my own eyes. We used him on numerous occasions (big commercial jobs) and my best guess would be $5-700 for a 101, with you removing all the lights, etc..

2cents.

0352Marine

Powder Coating Price to Good to be True

I agree with you 4x4 Forever. Your 2 Cents has held up well against inflation. I may just stick with having them sandblast it and then spray it with the help of my brother-in-law (He has all the equipment and some experience for automotive painting) with Gillespie Red Oxide and then the 686 Tan. I will post something on the outcome. Still waiting on another quote for sandblasting and powder coating and will post that as well - it may be more realistic on the cost. Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks