• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Powder coating oven????

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have just been given a ceramic kiln that was taking up space in a friends shop.

Could it be used to bake small powder coated metal items?

Minimum temp is around 1000 degrees.

Is that too hot???

Might be some way to adjust it lower.

Any ideas???

dogkiller

most powdercoating equip for the diy crowd just uses a home oven..
I think the kiln would be way too hot
eastwood.com should have info..

sloryd

I do alot of powder coating for motorcycles in my shop. The working temp for powder coating is 375 to 400 degree F. For small items I use and old electric oven. For larger items I have a Propane oven.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I say put a high speed conveyor belt on that sucker and let BamaLady flood the market with her most excellent cookies...forget powder coating:wink:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1000deg is way too hot. there might be a way to reduce the temps though.
look in the kiln and see if the elements are coiled wire, if so, you can reduce the nember of elements in the sides. you can also add a rheostat if you want. there should be 'gloryholes' in the sides as well, leaving them out will help reduce the temps. Make sure you have an accurate thermo, going from a good temp to burning stuff up is a small window.

my mom fires clay pottery and such, one of the first kilns she got had to have all of the nickle chrome elements replaced, very expensive. BTW, the elements brcome brittle with age.

hope this helps.

trog

An electric kiln wired for 220 volt power could be fed 115 volts instead, and then it will use one fourth of the kilowatts. Example: A school type, floor standing kiln draws 40 amps at 230 volts. The power consumption will be 9.2 kilowatts (V x A). If connected to 115 volts, it will draw 20 amps, and the power will be 2.3 KW. Then MAYBE the temperature would be right for powder coating without needing a temperature controller.

(But don't try that trick with an electric motor! Motors don't handle low voltage well.)

bkwudzhom

POSSUM COOKER!! Hot dang! Saw one for road kill this mornin'. Think it'll keep if I mail it to ya this afternoon??

Engine5

WM,
It might be a pc board cooker. I used to work at a factory that made pc boards and a 2 part epoxy and catalyst was mixed and pourd over the boards circuts. Then they were put in the oven like you descibed to (cook) cure the mix. The mix when hardend protected the PC boards. I used it to cook my baked potatoes in for lunch.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It was in a ceramic studio so logic tells me that is what it was used for.
Can't give the freaking molds away either.
All that stuff is still holding down the back of my pickup truck.
I need to get rid of it......next stop dumpster.

MitchG

Well I would have to agree with you. I must admit to an advanced case of packratitus, but I have an alterior motive working here. Since I just sorta, kinda, oh by the way bought an MKT trailer and the wife is really into the craft type stuff...... Are you following me?