• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Distribution Panel M1083A1 10/98

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M1083A1 that has some electrical problems that I assume involve relays. Now my problem is that I have a TM for M1078 and in comparing the picture of the PDP on the 1078 it is different from the 1083. I am trying to locate the Horn Relay and on the 1078 it is K32 and on the top part of the PDP. The 1083 doesn't even have a place for a Horn Relay. I am also looking for the Turn Signal/ Hazard light flasher. To me there has to be more than one Power Distribution Panel.
I also am wondering if there is a Tech Manual for the 1083. I have not found it on this site but I could be wrong. Please, I like to be wrong.
Thank you/ Lugnuts

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go back to main page 7th little humvee down Present day veh and give it a try !!! my horn relay is on the top row of relays but i cant remember which one at the moment

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M1083A1 that has some electrical problems that I assume involve relays. Now my problem is that I have a TM for M1078 and in comparing the picture of the PDP on the 1078 it is different from the 1083. I am trying to locate the Horn Relay and on the 1078 it is K32 and on the top part of the PDP. The 1083 doesn't even have a place for a Horn Relay. I am also looking for the Turn Signal/ Hazard light flasher. To me there has to be more than one Power Distribution Panel.
I also am wondering if there is a Tech Manual for the 1083. I have not found it on this site but I could be wrong. Please, I like to be wrong.
Thank you/ Lugnuts
Just to make sure you already checked, many of the trucks have a diagram on the inside of the cover that take off to access the panel. I didn't know it was there on mine for a while, because I always took it off and set it down in the same orientation.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to make sure you already checked, many of the trucks have a diagram on the inside of the cover that take off to access the panel. I didn't know it was there on mine for a while, because I always took it off and set it down in the same orientation.
Yes, not listed there. Thanks for the reply

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go back to main page 7th little humvee down Present day veh and give it a try !!! my horn relay is on the top row of relays but i cant remember which one at the moment
I did go back to the post and it didn't have the information for what I needed. Thank you for the reply

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is the board. Sure hope you can help me. Do you have the Tech Manual, especially electrical schematics, that go with that truck?
Thank you
You are quite correct, there are 3 versions of the PDP (power distribution panel) that were used on the FMTVs, this is the second generation, and is considered the worst due to the soldered connections being lead free. The manuals for the FMTVs uploaded to this site do not cover this PDP as far as I know.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The circuit board pdp as pictured can develop bad solder joints over time. And you get intermittent issues. I have pulled relay sockets right off the board trying to just pull the relay out. Some of them the military used eco friendly less lead solder.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are quite correct, there are 3 versions of the PDP (power distribution panel) that were used on the FMTVs, this is the second generation, and is considered the worst due to the soldered connections being lead free. The manuals for the FMTVs uploaded to this site do not cover this PDP as far as I know.
Where then sir, are the other boards located? And the solder issue? Was that at the connections on the printed Circuit Board or just wherever they us solder? Thank you for your time and information.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The circuit board pdp as pictured can develop bad solder joints over time. And you get intermittent issues. I have pulled relay sockets right off the board trying to just pull the relay out. Some of them the military used eco friendly less lead solder.
The remedy then is clean and resolder? The other question, what is the location of the other boards? Thank you

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They dont all have bad joints. Only some. The board pictured is the only one. Bad solder joints will usually present as intermittent issues. The board is multilayer so its not easy to resolder.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The remedy then is clean and resolder? The other question, what is the location of the other boards? Thank you
I don't understand your question. Each FMTV only has one "PDP" Power Distribution Panel. Year models 1994-mid 1998? (M1078/1081 etc) had the "Blox" style; the late 1998-2002? M1078A1/1081A1 etc had the printed circuit board type (pictured), and the final version is the "Bussman" type which has the cubes.

I encourage others to correct the years above as I am not sure when the production changes occurred.

Repairing electrical issues is the usual headache of putting the circuit under load, and measuring with a voltmeter from the non-functioning device all the way back to the battery.

Last edited:

coachgeo

I don't understand your question. Each FMTV only has one "PDP" Power Distribution Panel. Year models 1994-1998? (M1078/1081 etc) had the "Blox" style; the early 1999?-2002? M1078A1/1081A1 etc had the printed circuit board type (pictured), and the final version is the "Bussman" type which has the cubes.

I encourage others to correct the years above as I am not sure when the production changes occurred.

Repairing electrical issues is the usual headache of putting the circuit under load, and measuring with a voltmeter from the non-functioning device all the way back to the battery.
Could it be there were two iterations of one of the same board layout for A1. AKA same layout etc.... but different construction process or something like that between the two iterations. Maybe even different manufacture??? or would it have been issued different number if that was the case? I know Will has posted this issue on several occasions.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand your question. Each FMTV only has one "PDP" Power Distribution Panel. Year models 1994-1998? (M1078/1081 etc) had the "Blox" style; the early 1999?-2002? M1078A1/1081A1 etc had the printed circuit board type (pictured), and the final version is the "Bussman" type which has the cubes.

To clarify my question. If there is only one board where are the components on the truck. Those components at this time are the horn relay and the turn signal flasher?

coachgeo

To clarify my question. If there is only one board where are the components on the truck. Those components at this time are the horn relay and the turn signal flasher?
don't think turn signal flasher is on the board. Well it was not in A0 if I recall right reading that. Thus probably not on A1 either. Thus, well could be horn is not either.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a flasher module behind the passenger kick panel. There should be a breaker for each circuit on the board though. That is the only breaker panel on the truck. There are 2 large relays on the underside but if your truck starts then they are working. Do you have a panel cover there is a diagram showing what relay/breaker does what.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks