• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power limitations of a 250 Cummins?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The NTC 250 is tougher than woodpecker lips and in a 5 ton will pull ells half acre in low range if you can chain up to it.

That being said it is never going to be a super powerful engine....it has a lot of torque and that is what it is built for.

The big problem in the 5 tons is the transmission due to the ratio between 3rd and 4th......I hated that in my wrecker.....you would be pulling good and then upshift and it would fall flat on it's face. On a hill you either had to keep it wound up against the governor in third or upshift and lug the ell out of it.aua

You can't gold plate a turd.

emr

wreckerman i also appreciate your use of the english language :) I hope u do not mind I used the possum line in a thread a few days ago, it just fit i thought.. :) I also think a 250 is as tough as woodpecker lips and would paint that on my truck :) its so true... I actually love that tranny so low, but know where U are coming from. :driver:

wreckerman i also appreciate your use of the english language :) I hope u do not mind I used the possum line in a thread a few days ago, it just fit i thought.. :) I also think a 250 is as tough as woodpecker lips and would paint that on my truck :) its so true... I actually love that tranny so low, but know where U are coming from. :driver:
I agree. I was pulling a heavy boat (33,000# plus 10,000# trailer up the ramp two years ago, when the boat slid back 4' on the trailer, which lost me all of my tongue weight. I was super glad that I had that low geared transmission and all wheel drive. That truck spun everything the whole way to the top, but it got to the top. Something the OTR International that we had gotten rid of would have never done. So, back to the original poster, wrong engine, wrong transmission, wrong truck (for what he wants), but I wouldn't change a thing.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the factory OE 855 with turbo and fuel set for it is a 290. the only thing wrong with the 5Ts (54,809 series) is the @##%^^%$#%^&* trans, there are many 5t change trans threads

Stalwart

I had one of those 290's, what a dog! The turbo only seemed to clean up any smoke. The old 1150 cu.in. Cummins I used to drive with 600 hp, they'd do an 11 mile grade at 6-7% at 60 mph with an 80K load. A 250 needs more than 5 gears!

dozer1

So NHC 250 buffs,
I am getting my injectors and pump checked out for my M817 as I rebuild the engine in it. How much can I saftely get the pump set at in say HP terms. 275, 290, more?
OK I talked to the technician who is going to rework the pump and he said a "short 300" HP is about what you could take it up to on a non turbo 855. I asked and he didnt think a pyrometer would be needed at that level. Soo the M817 will be around 290 if all works out well

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry you can't just drop the bigger motor inplace of the 250 as the harmonic bal. is bigger and you must rework the front motor mount.
I guess I was misleading a little when I said it was a "drop in". I know there would be some minor modifications but the engine is basicly they same platform as the higher hp engines. You would also have to find a place to stuff a intercooler and wire the electronics if you wanted to go with a late model high hp 855. :wink:

I guess my main point was that people with 250s usually don't try to "hop up" their engine because Cummins has already done it with their higher hp models. It's usually easier to just drop a 400 in than it is to get 400hp out of a 250.

Last edited:

197thhhc

Get a deuce, put a pyrometer on it and start cranking up the fuel. Then single out the rear tires and put 46' tires on it . You will be able to run 70mph and cut your 0 to 60 times by a third. Our "test mule" is a daily driver and runs easily with interstate traffic. Plus using WMO is costs about 10 cents a gallon to drive. Thats what makes these trucks awesome. Just watch your Exhaust gas temps when you start cranking up the fuel.

emr

Hope u never have to do an emergency stop, U will be all over the road , imagine hitting the brakes hard on one of these trucks at 70 ? and with singles yet, just sayin I have at 50 and man that was alot of work , and thankful I have as much trucker experience that I do, even then it was iffy. good luck. i think most guys here think these trucks are what they are, hope u do not mind the input , just think these types of things are accidents waiting to happen.I really mean good luck...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BLOW a steer tire ONE time and it will change your outlook on a speedy MV

Last edited:

coffinator6

****, I did that on my dads m37 last summer doing 45mph. That was scary **** and I have been driving military vehicles all my life. I can't imagine having that problem with a deuce.

Machinist22

Yeah, I checked that thread out. That's what I'm talking about!! This guys did a really nice job. I can't wait to see some pics and videos of the finished project. I'd also be really interested in seeing some stats once finished.

I had one of those 290's, what a dog! The turbo only seemed to clean up any smoke. The old 1150 cu.in. Cummins I used to drive with 600 hp, they'd do an 11 mile grade at 6-7% at 60 mph with an 80K load. A 250 needs more than 5 gears!
Does anyone know of a tranny that would swap in to these Deuces that would bolt up to everything with minimal mods and would also give you several more gears?

I hope you addressed those 45 MPH brakes while you were at it.:roll:
I definitely plan on doing a disk brake conversion! Wouldn't think of going faster without being able to stop. Well . . . okay I've thought about it, but wouldn't actually do it!:grin: Mudguppy did a good job with his! See the link in augiedoggy's quote above. Nice job, Mudguppy!

Actually, doing a hydro steer conversion would dramatically reduce the danger if that were to happen. This guy did a lot of really good mods to his Deuce and while the hydro kit he used is spendy (for me), it worked out really well. Here's the link:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...5511-all-stuff-i-did-my-deuce-right-here.html

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Actually, doing a hydro steer conversion would dramatically reduce the danger if that were to happen. This guy did a lot of really good mods to his Deuce and while the hydro kit he used is spendy (for me), it worked out really well. Here's the link:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...5511-all-stuff-i-did-my-deuce-right-here.html[/QUOTE]

The m819 HAS POWER STEERING, Letting you know that P/S DOES NOT reduce the pucker factor one little bit nor the damage & mayhem that can follow.

MV SPEED KILLS, This is the headline in the news, Do we in the MV world really went/need to READ THIS ??????

:soapbox::rant:

Last edited:

Machinist22

Holy Cow!!! I read the article and I was impressed to say the least! Anyone who thinks you shouldn't build an engine for more power, should read this article. Over 800 HP out of a 855cid Diesel engine? With no change in mileage? I'm not looking for that much HP but it shouldn't be hard to get a significant increase in HP (and of course TQ) while increasing your mileage at the same time. Think about it, the less the engine works, the less fuel it burns, to a certain extent. If the pedal is always to the floor because it's all the engine will do, your mileage will suffer. This is why you can push over 600 HP/1000 ft lb TQ out of a 5.9 commonrail and still knock back over 20 mpg if you drive it like granny. Of course we're talking about computer controlled and everything but that's beside the point.:deadhorse:

And for those of you who are thinking, "It's really not very smart to go that fast in a Deuce." I'm not talking about doing 100+ mph (although . . . that would be interesting to say the least), however if you could get to 60 in a quarter of the time (or less), and didn't have to go down to 2nd gear and 15 mph when a hill looks at you the wrong way, that would really be something fun to drive. In addition to this, the Deuce only weighs, what, 13,200 lbs or so? This article is talking about a fully loaded rig (over 80,000 lbs) hitting the top of a hill at 80+ mph? Obviously this is with an upgraded braking system but I'm just sayin'!:deadhorse:

Now imagine, just imagine this. Your all loaded up with your camping gear and trailer and you're heading down the road on your way to your ultimate M35A2 camping excursion. You get to a mountain pass and instead of filing in line with all the semi's working for a living, you get in the left lane and keep your speed of 60 or so without even breakin' a sweat. :driver: That makes the camping trip that much funner and one more story to tell around the campfire.:mrgreen:

Now, a dose of reality. I love the idea of talking about all this stuff, but I probably won't actually do anything unless I win the lottery. If that happens you all will definitely know about it! Anyway, it's all in good fun.rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks