• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering and brake noise

firestomper

Have a 1998 M998, the problem I'm having is the power steering is intermittent and when you step on the brake pedal the power steering pump makes a god awful noise. I have checked the fluid and belts all seems to be good there . Any help would be great.

how old is the pump and belts...and did you crawl under the eng to see if any of the places the pump is secured are missing. have the same engine in a cucv...it has 3 spots where the brackets bolt together to secure the tightness of the belts and on my 6.5 engine truck one of those spots fell off completely.

firestomper

The pump looks like it is fairly new, I'm not sure about the belts. I will have change out the belts and I have not looked at the mounting bracket for the power steering pump. Will have to do that tomorrow. Thanks for the reply

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pump, hydro boost, low fluids...or more common, air in the system....possibly even a bad stearing gear.
first add the correct fluid...that would be DOT5...very common to see them mixed with 5 and 3...5 this would not be good and needs to be flushed all the way through. One is silicone, the other is not.
next easiest is the PS Pump.