• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering bracket

Bobert

My power steering pump bracket broke.
I've read past posts that this is not uncommon, but I'm not sure if it is the same on the civilian blazers?

If so, does it have to be from a diesel? Or maybe the parts store can get them.

I'm also wondering if I can just weld it...

Other than that, my m1009 has been running great.

JohnFire

If I remember right doesn't the second alternator tie into it? I could be wrong and it's cold outside. I do know that you will have to partially pull the pully off to get one of the bolts out. I found my bracket broken and the pump just barely in place cause both the top bolt sections had broken. I got mine from saturn supply. I stopped in asked about it, and he had it right there. I tend to think they have more stock than what their website lists. The part # in TM9-2320-289-20P is 14033879 pg104 in the toc

Bobert

Mine is still on pretty good, It is loose enough to let the belt hit the upper radiator hose and squeak whenever I give it throttle.

I can't remember if gen2 is connected or not, sounds familiar.

I've never dealt with saturn but it seems like they want a premium for some of their parts. Maybe as a last resort.

So would welding be a good idea?

JohnFire

You could try it, but I would pull the bracket off so you can get a good bead on it. I think that is what I did when I first got the truck, but a friend did the work. Can't remember if it was the alternator or the power steering since the was 9 year ago.

Bobert

I guess two of the mounting points are broken.

I might as well get a new one considering my welding skills. and if I have to take it off anyway.

They new part at the dealer was only $28. I haven't figured out, is it the same as on the civilian trucks?

If not I may have to take my business to the CCATLETT store :wink:

Bobert

I got the bracket, It sure looks like the right one. I will put up the part number for future reference if it indeed works.

Now I am trying to figure out how to get the darn pulley off. I got a puller from the auto parts store on loan, but it didnt fit right in the hole. :roll:

There are 3 bolts behind it. I got one out, but 2 are stuck by the pulley. If I could move the pulley out maybe 3/8th in., I could get the bolts in and out.

Can't wait to get it on the road so I can test fit some 35s I got. :grd:

CCATLETT1984

you should be able to get the ps pump to come off. there are two adjusting bolts and one pivot bolt. there is a adjusting bolt on the forward face of the ps pump on the front of the engine tucked in-between the pulleys, you can get to it, I know its a pain. there is also the adjuster on the back side of the pump just below the alternator. Pull those two and you can rotate it enough to pull the ps pump off and get to the rest of the bolts.

Bobert

I can get the pump out, but I am having problems separating it from the bracket.

I even thought about cutting the bolts out from behind the pulley, luckily, I couldn't find the sawzall. I figure maybe I can just get slightly shorter bolts in there with the pulley in place.

Of course, if I could just get the opulley off, It would be a piece of cake.

Any tricks out there? Maybe I was just using the wrong puller.

JohnFire

You might have the wrong puller. Mine came off fairly easy. The puller I had let me back thread one way and that took the pulley off, thread it the other way and it put it on. You don't have to take it all the way off, just enough to get the bolt off, I think it was like a 1/4 inch. Sorry I can't remember what puller it was or how it exactly went. It was last year and CRS just hit me as I tried to think about it. Mind like a steel sive.

kentuckycucv

I just changed my Power steering pump. I could not get the pully wheel off with my 3 armed puller tool. So I took it up to pep boys and paid a mechanic $20 bucks to pull it. His puller was a round metal piece that slide over the groves on the wheel hub.... His puller and had a bolt that as it tightened it pulled the hub off the pulley wheel.

My bracket was broken also, but I put it back on thinking I could weld it later. Unfortunately the cracked piece fell off, now I need to find a new one. Any suggestions would be help full. email jpsco@insightbb.com

Bobert

I think I've been using the round ones with the bolts.

This time I'm using the one from the autozone after trying two other parts stores ones.

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan_a_tool/pullers_specialized/power_steering_pulley.htm

I even heated it up with a propane torch but still no luck.

If I can wrestle it out of there, I'll probably just bring it in to some guy with a paper bag over my head.

For fun, I asked the chevy dealer what they would charge to do it in the vehicle. a little over $200.

Bobert

I just wanted to updare this.

I got it replaced without taking the pulley off. I'm sure I broke at least two laws of physics in the process.

I managed to accidentally bend part of the outer lip of the pulley a tiny bit, which allowed me to slip the rest of the bolts out. and in.

The Bracket from the cheby dealy works.

Bobert

Oh yeah, the curse continues... Every time I fix something, something else breaks.

This time, when I turned the key, half of the battery terminal vaporized. Fixed that by tightening the battery cables.

When it was warming up, I noticed a pinhole leak spraying out of the heater hose. fixed that by cutting it off and plugging it back in a little shorter.

Since I had two I think I will be spared for a while.

Oh the joy of owning a cucv. :driver:

kentuckycucv

My bracket was broken also, but I put it back on thinking I could weld it later. Unfortunately the cracked piece fell off, now I need to find a new one. Any suggestions would be help full. email jpsco@insightbb.com (this was from a few weeks ago)

Well I never fixed it and was driving tonight and then a GEN light came on and the steering went out...and the breaks got real hard....
Guess what?? The one pivot bolt holding the power steering unit broke off and my steering unit was just hanging down boltless with the belts .....And I drove it home like that. 1mile at 25mph... amazingly I made it without the steering unit crunching up in my fan or anything else.
Not only do I need a power steering bracket, now I need an easy out. Oh andI used Lock tight on that bolt.

Oh the joy of owning a cucv.

CCATLETT1984

try to get a left hand twist drill bit, it may free that up better than an easy out. if your lucky it wont have snapped flush with the block, you may be able to get a set of vise grips on whats left of the bolt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks