• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering from a pickup and general questions?

frankthetank15

Hello, I just bought my first deuce and a half after many years of waiting. It is a 1969 Kaiser n/a with 30,xxx miles. It needs some work like both windshields with frames and a new front end wiring harness ( all the wires are dry rotted and some of the wires have shorts like the wire going to the buzzer, it either wont shut off or go on. Being that this is my first I have a few questions. It has the air shift transfer case in it so I locked in the front axle and the light came on but when i took it out the switch started leaked air and it wont stop unless the switch is engaged. Would that be a bad switch or is that supposed to happen. Also my air gauge is always on 120psi even with the tanks open. I assume that it is a bad gauge but could it have anything to do with wiring (I didn't get a chance to look into it yet)? This last question is gonna sound really stupid probably but I was just curious on your guys' opinion of taking the power steering setup from a Silverado 1500 and adapting it to the deuce. I'm not asking about how to do but do you think it would work/last (I have a wrecked Silverado in my drive weigh so if it could work it would be very convinient)? Thank you.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A power steering unit from a vehicle with a gross weight of 8000 pounds being used in a vehicle with an empty weight of 13,500, and a fully loaded weight of almost 24,000 pounds. What could possibly go wrong? The tire and wheel also weigh three times what the poor Silverado had to get to turn, plus the weight of the front steering components that have to be turned by the 'power steering'. In my book, the PS components would have to come out of at least a 5500 series truck, preferably larger. Then comes the question of how to plumb it.

red

The output from the pump (not the pickups steering box) should work with the stock 9x20" s if you ran the correct steering box, but its output will be pretty close to max.

Imagine hanging about 2k pounds of extra weight on the front bumper of a pickup that's rolling on 38" tires. That's roughly what your asking of the steering.

Cheapest route is to find an hf54 box from an old ford 2 ton truck and a power steering pump.

JasonS

The power steering gear are rated by front end weight (at least the ones that I have seen). The 2-port HF54 is rated for a 5k, 5.5k, 6k, and 7k lb axles. When combined with a slave cylinder, the 4-port HF54 is usable with a 9k lb axle.

welldigger

I forget what thread it was but a guy used a one ton steering box way a 2 way steering ram on the tie rod. Of course he also bagged the front axle. It was a very nice set up.

frankthetank15

So I pretty much assumed it would not work but i figured it could not hurt to ask. I've been looking into the hf54 and it appears to be relatively straight forward but some people say that there are other steering boxes better suited for the conversion. For now I am going to keeping researching power steering for deuces and put it n the back burner for now while I make my truck street legal. I have to get my blinkers to work, replace some bulbs, fix the horn, and get a new air pressure gauge and fix the buzzer. I am assuming the best way to do this is to replace the entire front wiring harness especially since mine it dry rotted. Do you guys think this is the best course of action to take? Also how are N.O.S. harnesses, I am not sure if it is worth it to save money on that or if i should get a new/make a new one?

AZDeuce

Make sure the new wiring harness is for the A2 and just not for the M35, as those are for gas engined trucks with no turn signals. All the NOS harnesses I have bought at various shows have been good to go. I HIGHLY recommend this be the first thing you do to a truck with a rotted wiring harness.....it beats watching it burn to the ground!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks