• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering GPM

Hey guys this is my first post. I am building an M35a2 Crew Cab. I have the cabs ready to be grafted just need the time to do it. What I am also doing is installing the m54 steering pump to make my own power steering. While I have the steering pump, I might as well do a hydro boost brake system which I may run off an aux belt pump, I will have to see what pressures I have first. I'm swapping to 4 wheel disc, and the weight that the deuce is, is no more than what an F350 can haul, so I got a junk yard brake system for $50 bucks. The steering box I got came off a big rig and it was $50 also. I am budget building this but not in a shady way. I've built plenty of custom crawlers and such and sometimes buying an off the shelf kit is just too much money, if you have the knowledge to fabricate. I have a set of MRAP wheels and tires for it as well as an m105 trailer already. It should be kind of neat when done.

My question is does anyone have an M54 TM for that pump? I can't locate it and I need to see how many GPM that pump actually produces. Thanks for your help guys. I'm located on the Oregon Coast.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys this is my first post. I am building an M35a2 Crew Cab. I have the cabs ready to be grafted just need the time to do it. What I am also doing is installing the m54 steering pump to make my own power steering. While I have the steering pump, I might as well do a hydro boost brake system which I may run off an aux belt pump, I will have to see what pressures I have first. I'm swapping to 4 wheel disc, and the weight that the deuce is, is no more than what an F350 can haul, so I got a junk yard brake system for $50 bucks. The steering box I got came off a big rig and it was $50 also. I am budget building this but not in a shady way. I've built plenty of custom crawlers and such and sometimes buying an off the shelf kit is just too much money, if you have the knowledge to fabricate. I have a set of MRAP wheels and tires for it as well as an m105 trailer already. It should be kind of neat when done.

My question is does anyone have an M54 TM for that pump? I can't locate it and I need to see how many GPM that pump actually produces. Thanks for your help guys. I'm located on the Oregon Coast.
I don't know jack squat about how to do what you are planning - but we have another member here with a very recently acquired Deuce. He is fairly certain that he wants to come into the later half of the 20th century for braking. Disc Brakes in particular... Sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the parts. Have you had any success finding the actual rotors? And, if so wouldn't they need to be a larger diameter than the F350?

I know nothing. Just asking questions - and will your truck still be able to be street worthy?

Hey! So the brake kit is the only thing that I'm going to buy off shelf. I will get those from Boyce. I have scored on some parts for sure! I picked up 2 cabs, extra battery box, extra tool box, a bobber spring kit (front springs with hangers) and a rear hard top window for super cheap. I then got a set of 6 mrap wheels and tires for 1500 bucks in town which was a bonus. I found an M105 trailer box on a custom trailer and got it for 500. I then sold that trailer for 1500 so that extra went to wheel adapters. If you aren't in a rush you can find good deals.

The brakes are 15" I think. A company called Red Rock Fab used to make a kit but I think they closed up shop. As far as "knowing" what I'm doing is more of learning the tweaks as I go. There isn't a perfect equation for doing what I want to do to my deuce. As far as the F350 goes the rotors may be bigger but the calipers are close to the same size. If I don't get the braking I need I'll have to re-think it. Street worthy is yes, street legal is a maybe. I think that I am making it safer but IDK what the DOT would think. I'm doing pinion brakes as well that will be on a separate system. Those are going to be handles like a steering brake on a sand rail. That will become my emergency brake with a line lock on one or both. If I loose brakes I can always reach down and yank those up to stop, at least in my head that is how that will play out.

Projects like this are fun because there are so many unknowns. I am a full time student going into nursing so this is a project I work on when I can. I'm a 100% VA and used to own a survival store so that's how I started this project. I had the money and the means to do it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey! So the brake kit is the only thing that I'm going to buy off shelf. I will get those from Boyce. I have scored on some parts for sure! I picked up 2 cabs, extra battery box, extra tool box, a bobber spring kit (front springs with hangers) and a rear hard top window for super cheap. I then got a set of 6 mrap wheels and tires for 1500 bucks in town which was a bonus. I found an M105 trailer box on a custom trailer and got it for 500. I then sold that trailer for 1500 so that extra went to wheel adapters. If you aren't in a rush you can find good deals.

The brakes are 15" I think. A company called Red Rock Fab used to make a kit but I think they closed up shop. As far as "knowing" what I'm doing is more of learning the tweaks as I go. There isn't a perfect equation for doing what I want to do to my deuce. As far as the F350 goes the rotors may be bigger but the calipers are close to the same size. If I don't get the braking I need I'll have to re-think it. Street worthy is yes, street legal is a maybe. I think that I am making it safer but IDK what the DOT would think. I'm doing pinion brakes as well that will be on a separate system. Those are going to be handles like a steering brake on a sand rail. That will become my emergency brake with a line lock on one or both. If I loose brakes I can always reach down and yank those up to stop, at least in my head that is how that will play out.

Projects like this are fun because there are so many unknowns. I am a full time student going into nursing so this is a project I work on when I can. I'm a 100% VA and used to own a survival store so that's how I started this project. I had the money and the means to do it.
Well thanks! That is good information. Helps me understand a little more too. The idea you have about the crew cab is
really cool. Guy up in Winston has one started and then it ran out of steam somewhere along the way. :-(

I appreciate the time you spent doing time for Uncle as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Jail time? Tad bit extreme don't you think? Hot rods do what I'm doing all the time. Jail time..thanks for the laugh on this one!
When something goes wrong on the highway, we get a lot more attention in these trucks than a hot rod car. The DOT folks pull out the rule book and start looking for a reason. The hot rod gets picked up and put on a rollback and is driven away. The highway man and DOT inspectors start looking for anything "not to spec".

Lead Farmer 5.56

What vehicle did you source the master cylinder and hydro-boost assembly from? I was looking to use a Chevy top kick assembly as the bolt pattern looks to be the same as the factory singe circuit master.

rustystud

When something goes wrong on the highway, we get a lot more attention in these trucks than a hot rod car. The DOT folks pull out the rule book and start looking for a reason. The hot rod gets picked up and put on a rollback and is driven away. The highway man and DOT inspectors start looking for anything "not to spec".
Didn't see your post when you originally posted it, so I'm responding now.

Yes. Whenever one of our "military" vehicles get in an accident the Feds get all upset. Then there's the usual nuts asking why military vehicles are even allowed in civilian hands. The crash is usually posted all over the internet because it is such a horrible thing ! The local media usually does a story on it too.
If you don't think the government will do anything about it just look at Canada. We cannot allow that to happen here. So with modifying the brakes on the Deuce or any military vehicle, think extra heavy duty. Leave them no reason to question them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks