• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering leak

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. Not normal. HMMWVs are not supposed to have qds anywhere. Get rid of it.

EDIT: I have been corrected on this, later model HMMWVs DID have this qd from the factory. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter

08hmmwv

I bought this one and replaced mine. It worked fine.
thank you, i will be ordering that tonight.
How did you work in there with the awkward location? would you suggest also changing the male end?

Last edited:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a PIA but I reached from underneath, unplugged it and replaced it down there. I ordered the male also but ended up not using it.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick disconnects are used by some for ease of maintenance of the fan clutch ad and steering assembly (since they both run off the steering pump). The recommended, and most common location is NOT there. No good reason to need one there as far as I can say. That hasn't been a point of failure that I've seen or heard of. I agree with replacing it.
BDGR

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
We all know are HumV have some built-in idiosyncrasies or just plain dumb not well thought out design IMO.

After a new to me, first time going over, what stood out was "How the heck do you change the belts (easily) with that darn hose in the way (hard). Who thinks this stuff UP!

More of a pain in the butt messing with a threaded coupling and as stated one needs to be a contortionist, double jointed monkeycanic. Yes, thats a word. Try doing that out on the trail / road and the in your eye, taste of the red vampire fluid ATF. Guaranteed you are going to be late to the date or emergency room.

Asking around "86humv" to the rescue with the Quick Disconnect PN > 12342947. This made the MOST sense, since buttered popcorn.

One of the best, simple two words, piece of mind upgrades, IMO.

Quick Disconnect, CAMO

IMG_8231.jpgIMG_8232.jpg

Keep it clean, take it off, wipe it off inside and out at PM"s. It will be your new best friend.

Last edited:

DREDnot

Mine came without the disconnect.
I was not looking forward to having to fool with that hose to get my belts changed due to not being able to reach through the fan blades.

The thing that helped me the most was making a radiator protector/work platform to be able to lay out over all the pokey stuff and reach through the blades at a good working angle from the passenger side. Made it a non-issue.
Got the idea from the PS magazine article and added legs to it to make it level.

DSCN1507.JPG

It made it easy to get in there with a wrench or two.

Id change both halves for best chance at being leakproof.

DSCN1452.JPG

While you are cutting plywood, make one of these to go with it...It can be used on either side.

DSCN9533.JPG

DSCN9534.JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea, thanks for bringing that to everyone's attention!
Are the PS articles available for download?

08hmmwv

Mine came without the disconnect.
I was not looking forward to having to fool with that hose to get my belts changed due to not being able to reach through the fan blades.

The thing that helped me the most was making a radiator protector/work platform to be able to lay out over all the pokey stuff and reach through the blades at a good working angle from the passenger side. Made it a non-issue.
Got the idea from the PS magazine article and added legs to it to make it level.

View attachment 793589

It made it easy to get in there with a wrench or two.

Id change both halves for best chance at being leakproof.

View attachment 793588

While you are cutting plywood, make one of these to go with it...It can be used on either side.

View attachment 793590

View attachment 793591
wow, these are awesome, im makin those tomorrow, something to do while in mandatory stay in home order. I laid on the bottom and barely got my hand in there to barely disconnect the house. it took me long time to get it back on. thanks for the great idea!!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The QD is OEM on all A2 truck on up...it’s on there because its next too if not impossible to use the old style
hose connecto as used on the A0/A1 v-belt setup. The fan blade is different and not nearly as accessibl.
IMO, it’s just as needed on an early truck as the fan clutch hose has to come off to install new belts, this is not required for serpintine belt.
As far as leaking goes...yes, ive had several from the auction leak. When you replace it, pay attention to the color of the
QD, gold color or the silver color, all the M1123’s use the gold color, I prefer the silver color as I’ve had No leaking issues.
Most importantly is that the gold and silver color units are not cross compatible On the QD fitting side.
They can be replaced with patience and torn up forearms...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks