• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Pulley Question

chicagodiesel

Hey All,

New to the forum and have a bit of an issue. My harmonic balancer (1984 M1009) was completely shot (evident by the shaking at idle) which I went ahead and replaced along with the crank front oil seal. As I was putting it all back together, I noticed some problems with my power steering mount--the far driver side bracket (adjustable) was snapped probably from previous owner over tightening. On top of that the back side stud was not attached to the mount leaving only the two passenger side bolts holding the pump on.

Well, I decided to put it all back together rigging up a new adjustable bracket and putting in a rear stud to see how the new harmonic balancer performed. Everything started up great, ran great, no shakes, just one problem...the power steering pulley is bent. I imagine this is due to the unattached mounts, bad balancer, and the fact that I got the truck with two belts instead of three. Probably a lot of undue stress and vibrations in the end.

So, my question: I have been looking everywhere for a proper two grooved (small in back and large in front) pulley but am having fairly little luck. I did find a replacement at rock auto, but wanted to know if anyone has ordered this part and if it is in fact the same pulley. If it's not, I would just have to play around with belt sizes, but we all know how much fun that is for a whole weekend. Also, wondering if anyone has a line on parts source for the power steering mount? I'd hate to put undue stress on a newly rebuilt pump and harmonic balancer.

My question is not really about getting parts, but if rock auto's actually fit in line with originals on the M1009 because they're just a mouse click away (not nearly as much fun as the junk yard). Thanks so much.

Doug J.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always your best bet is to look the parts up in the Parts Manual. You do have a free copy don't you?

The parts manual has all of the GM part numbers. Take that number and google it. Rock Auto is usually one of the links.

I just check the part number and it isn't listed on any of the GM parts websites. It has been discontinued. Looks like used is your solution.

And welcome to Steel Soldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

You need to download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

www.jatonkam35s.com
www.liberatedmanuals.com

The wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the -20 and -34 manuals.

Also checkout the CUCV stickys. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:
Digital Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

Last edited:

glaser06

Hate to resurrect an old thread but I didn't see the need to start a new one on the same topic. Did the Rockauto pulley work? I have found the GM P/N 14084343 in the TM but this # crossed to a 2 groove with two equal diameters, as opposed to my original pulley with different sizes...I don't believe that would work as the belts wouldn't be moving at the same speed and this would cause slippage.

I suppose I could just use the new pulley and not run the belt to the PS-Crank groove, instead using only the PS-Alt-Crank.

Keith_J

The reason for two groove sheave on power steering is redundancy as the hydraulics are used for brakes and steering.

And I suspect the reason for the difference in sheave sizes on the same pulley has to do with the ability to tighten the belts and have them have the same degree of tightness and to be able to run at one rpm on the same system.I experienced a fun time when I deleted the drivers alt when doing a roscommon 12v conversion on one of my M1028's but the psp still needed the 2nd belt to operate the psp for the hydroboost and power steering...Soloution was a shorter belt that tightened at the same time, went thru several belts till I found the correct one Ill post it later if anyone is interested when I get back to the shop.Ok the front belt is a napa 25-7480 and the rear is a napa 25-7455Below is a pic of the belt and pumps.What your M1028 dont have two psp's?
The reason for two groove sheave on power steering is redundancy as the hydraulics are used for brakes and steering.

Last edited: