• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Pump Pics

crazywelder72

A few weeks back my power steering belt popped and must have tweaked the bracket holding the pump. Its been throwing belts ever since. I am getting ready to rip out the radiator to have access to the front of the motor to get accurate measurements to mount it inline again.

I am looking for insight, pics about brackets or how others mounted the pump.

Thanks...

and in case your wondering what its like driving the truck when the power steering goes out with full hydraulic steering..... its somewhere between manageable and a struggle. (manageable just driving and a struggle making 90˚ turn)

shannondeese

Maybe I missed it but, you are able to steer your fully hydraulic steering system with no pump providing pressure. Are you using a single or double ended ram. I am still trying to decide what steering system I want to use. Any info about your system would be really helpful and your experiences with it. I drive a lot on the street and dirt too. Thanks.

crazywelder72

i have 2 single ended rams... i didn't install the system... it was this way when i bought the truck. yes when the belt fails i can still turn the wheels but only when i am rolling. 90˚ intersections become more like a 2 point turn because i can only muscle so much. its not fun at all but it gets you home. I would think you would be screwed if it happened on the trails. If you go full hydro i would definatly carry a spare belt and whatever tools needed to install it. If i were building it.... from what i have learned I would probably use a single, double sided ram. it would be a easier and cleaner install with 50% less failure points. (just my opinion) but none of my pistons or hoses have failed yet. 1 ram would provide more symmetrical pressure i would think.

deuce and plow 005.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of pressure and volume is your pump putting out? I have a LDS power steering pump that I was planning on using with a normal hydraulic assisted steering box, but if it can handle moving a full hydro steering system, I may be inclined to go that direction.

crazywelder72

I dont know the answer to your questions. I didn't source out the pump and never had any reason to mess with it to verify pressures. Here is a pic from the back of the pump.Screen shot 2012-12-23 at 10.50.18 AM.jpg

anthonyamato4

i have a double sided steering ram i used on my duece rears when i had my wheeling truck.... i got rid of the truck but still have an extra unused ram.....would this be something someone would be interested in? i wouldnt mind selling it...i dont have a use for it anymore because i dont want to go full hydro steering on my m35a2

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the issue i see is what happens if / when a hose fails? and don't say it probably won't happen. there is always a possibility. if you are going this route, at least keep the original box and add a reaction valve for the steering assist cylinder.

Tom, is there some type of valve that could be ponied on to the stock steering setup to control the hydraulics? I haven't researched this route at all yet but if someone could make a hydo-assist like the air-assist, that would be an easy upgrade for a lot more people.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
every system has its advantages and disadvantages. the air assist system does make it easier to steer, but uses lots of air and the system cannot keep up, and it is only an assist. several of my kits have gone to A3's to replace it. the kia system that boyce has uses a belt driven pump and is very pricey. the hyd system that eastern sells is a reaction valve in the upper column and i believe has a belt driven pump. the system that clint sells uses a torque multiplier that simply forces the steering box to turn and i believe uses a belt driven pump. the system that memphis sells is the one i make and i give a HUGE discount to ss and mvpa members. it uses a proven hyd steering box and the gear driven pump from a 5 ton. the steering box generates 25,000 in lbs of torque so there is up to 2600 lbs of power available at the drag link. at worst it is only marginably harder to install than any other, and the horn button stayes in wheel, unlike most others.

crazywelder72

I agree that keeping the mechanical aspect of the steering with the hydro muscle is the best idea. M-35tom seems to have way more knowledge and xperience than i do with this. my kit was in when i got the truck. (I AM NO HYDRAULIC GURU BY ANY MEANS)

what i did find is that c-c equp sells a kit that the pump bracket looked like it would be what i need. They sold me just the bracket and even tho i could fabricate it, it would have been a massive hassle to do so. trying to get accurate dimensions in a cramped space and figuring out how long to make the bracket, and tripping over all the crap in my garage. i figure buying the bracket saved me overall about 10hrs of BS. I was planning on removing my radiator and bumper/winch to have access. i should be able to install the bracket from underneath as it attaches to the front of the Injection pump.

also their pump goes inline in the steering column. This would allow you to keep the mechanical part of the steering also. (i think)

Screen shot 2012-12-28 at 1.41.16 PM.jpg

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Are you using something other than a multifuel engine? Just wondering why you wouldn't use a gear-driven pump setup like they did in the 5-ton trucks.
i have 2 single ended rams... i didn't install the system... it was this way when i bought the truck. yes when the belt fails i can still turn the wheels but only when i am rolling. 90˚ intersections become more like a 2 point turn because i can only muscle so much. its not fun at all but it gets you home. I would think you would be screwed if it happened on the trails. If you go full hydro i would definatly carry a spare belt and whatever tools needed to install it. If i were building it.... from what i have learned I would probably use a single, double sided ram. it would be a easier and cleaner install with 50% less failure points. (just my opinion) but none of my pistons or hoses have failed yet. 1 ram would provide more symmetrical pressure i would think.

View attachment 400035
The main advantage to using two single-ended rams like your setup is the fact that there's still a one-piece tie-rod connecting the two front wheels. With a center-mounted double-ended ram, you have two short tie-rod links. It's not really the extra linkage that's the problem though, it's the fact that those two short tie-rod ends are swinging in really small arcs, and it can put side-loads on the ram and affects the steering geometry (ackerman). I decided to use a single center-mounted double-ended ram on mine, but it's a compromise, like anything.

Tom makes a nice looking hydraulic conversion upgrade, and if I wasn't trying to eliminate the stock drag-link I'd probably have done something like that. But the whole 'maintaining mechanical linkage' argument against full-hydro steering doesn't make much sense once you understand that, a) like you've already found out, you can steer the vehicle without hydraulic power/pressure, and b) mechanical linkage is no more/less safe or prone to failure than properly designed/installed/maintained hydraulic components and lines. But this has all been beat-to-death in previous threads, so I'll just provide you with some links and you can do your own research:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?54804-fail-proofing-full-hydro-steering
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?65810-Building-full-hydro-steering
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?34311-Full-hydro-help-needed-smart-math-people!

crazywelder72

if i knew about them AND if i was building the kit, it would have been a option i would have considered. I am just trying to keep what i have working with improvements. Based on my setup and the current problem, ordering the bracket made the most sense.

crazywelder72

i found out some info on my pump today... kind of surprised. The pump is easily found as the power steering pump found in a 1989 chevy 3500. (but that is a serpentine belt pully on it). you need to look at the 1986 for the vbelt pulley. the pump has a few different configurations depending on the reservoir can on the back. i found it at napa for about $50 (NSP 811411) but the

any that had the resivior can attached didnt have the same port configurations but its a starting point (NSP 818474F)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks