• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump pulley puller

brokedown

I know most of this information can be found if you search long enough, but I'm hoping that this post makes it easier for the next guy who experiences the joy of how I've just spent my morning!

There are a few reasons to end up needing to remove your power steering pump pulley, and they all revolve around that darn bracket. The pump bolts to the bracket in 3 places. You might need to remove the pulley because your bracket broke and you either repaired or replaced it, or maybe because the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket came lose, broke, or just flat disappeared. Maybe, like me, it was both reasons.

I used the Harbor Freight pulley tool. It's HF part #40749, and I spent $13 on it. It is relatively easy to use, although the documentation isn't exactly reassuring, and it can remove and install the pulley. To use it, I used a 1/2 drive 1/2 inch socket, and a crescent wrench. A 13/16 inch wrench would have replaced the crescent wrench.

The key to using the tool successfully appears to be lubrication. I've read reports of people breaking the tools in use after not lubricating them. I used silicon lubricant liberally on the tool, as well as on the pulley and pulley shaft.

This is the 3rd time I've had to mess with the power steering pump in the last 2 months, and I went to great lengths to avoid removing the pulley, expecting it to be difficult and/or expensive. Now I feel dumb for not doing it right the first time. Taking the pulley off gives you plenty of room to properly tighten, thread-lock, and for good measure even spot weld those bolts in place.

Keith_J

Yes, that tool for pulling Saginaw power steering pump pulleys works great, also at installing them. Except for certain GM front wheel drive vehicles, you have to get a shorter bolt to pull the pulley back on. Or shift the engine-transaxle to get space. But we don't care about front drive GMs here, do we?:deadhorse:

On lubrication, I use a moly grease which has worked great on all my threaded tools. From spring compressors to pullers, it just works. I needed an axle press the other day and rented it from the place I got the half shaft as it was free. Rentals get beat to death, this one was a bit gimpy in the threads. I polished the first thread off with a fine wheel, then lubed with moly grease and chased the threads. Worked like a champ, brand new performance.

The only down side to moly grease is the mess. But I get dirty anyway aua

glaser06

Word to the wise: Be careful with the HF tool. I had mine come apart on me and take a piece of the pulley with it. Had to go to Autozone and get a better quality puller ($42 with tax but refunded when you return the tool) and now my pulley is shot from pieces being pulled off it. Use plenty of grease when using the tool.