• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal

AnEyeL8

I did a search and couldn't find anything in the forums, or the rest of the interwebs...so here it goes. I never post in forums and usually only use them for research, but I'm hoping someone has a trick up their sleeve that will help me out. The following is in reference to an M1097A2 (6.5L NA).

Today I started what I thought was going to be a very simple power steering pump swap. I followed the TM to the "T" and I couldn't get the pump out from behind the mounting bracket. I'm assuming that the TM is wrong and I should have removed the pulley first, which I actually tried and failed at doing. So here I am, frustrated, with a power steering pump loose in my engine bay, stuck. The pulley seems to be seized on the shaft and I don't have room to do much with it. I have a pulley removal tool (I actually have three different types) and none of them are compatible with this type of pulley.

So here I am, looking for suggestions. How do I get this dag-gone thing out?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the SS forums!!
I always remove the complete ass so I can fight it on the bench.

AnEyeL8

Welcome to the SS forums!!
I always remove the complete ass so I can fight it on the bench.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Unfortunately, that's exactly what I was trying to do, and no matter which way I turn/tilt/rotate/curse, it refuses to come out. If I can get the pulley off, then I think I'll be smooth sailing...if I can find a removal tool that's compatible.

tgejesse

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Unfortunately, that's exactly what I was trying to do, and no matter which way I turn/tilt/rotate/curse, it refuses to come out. If I can get the pulley off, then I think I'll be smooth sailing...if I can find a removal tool that's compatible.
I just dealt with this on my 1165.
I first removed the belt, then took the bolt off the front of the pulley. Then the fun…. HAMMER turn, HAMMER turn, until she comes loose one millimeter at a time. I beat the crap out of my pully and when it finally came lose I washed it down, used a dremmel to clean up where it was seized up… went back on my new pump like new. Hard to hurt that OEM pully. Good luck.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there are two different serp setups for A2 trucks, and that means you have one two different PS pumps…a pic of you serp setup will
determine what method you use to R&R the pump.

AnEyeL8

I just dealt with this on my 1165.
I first removed the belt, then took the bolt off the front of the pulley. Then the fun…. HAMMER turn, HAMMER turn, until she comes loose one millimeter at a time. I beat the crap out of my pully and when it finally came lose I washed it down, used a dremmel to clean up where it was seized up… went back on my new pump like new. Hard to hurt that OEM pully. Good luck.
This sounds like so much fun! lol I guess I'll be trying that tomorrow.

I also found this guy, which looks like it would work great.
1701045349938.png
I'm just not sure I wanna drop $100 on a tool that I'll need for less than 10 min.

AnEyeL8

there are two different serp setups for A2 trucks, and that means you have one two different PS pumps…a pic of you serp setup will
determine what method you use to R&R the pump.
It's the "SERIAL NUMBER 196900 AND BELOW" setup. I don't have a pic on hand at the moment. It's the one with the reservoir attached to the back of the pump.

tgejesse

This sounds like so much fun! lol I guess I'll be trying that tomorrow.

I also found this guy, which looks like it would work great.
View attachment 911531
I'm just not sure I wanna drop $100 on a tool that I'll need for less than 10 min.
My dad had a puller but we didn’t have the clearance to use it. This looks more low profile. Might work. Hammers work for sure! Ha

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the "SERIAL NUMBER 196900 AND BELOW" setup. I don't have a pic on hand at the moment. It's the one with the reservoir attached to the back of the pump.
so you have an early serp, pump is an RCSK18330, you need to remove the upper radiator hose and take the pump out the top With the pulley still attached, removal and installation are done on a bench.

AnEyeL8

so you have an early serp, pump is an RCSK18330, you need to remove the upper radiator hose and take the pump out the top With the pulley still attached, removal and installation are done on a bench.
I'm not sure what the hang-up is under my hood. I removed the upper radiator hose, which gave me more room to reach in with my hands, but I still couldn't get the PS pump out.

AnEyeL8

Final follow-up in case somebody needs or wants to hear it in the future. I removed the thermostat housing, which gave me enough clearance to easily remove the power steering pump and reservoir with the pulley still attached. So, I'll have to order and replace the thermostat gasket, but it was a very simple step that made things easy.

On a side note, the pulley was a PITA to get off, even with a bench vice to hold it while I used a puller. Either way, I'm one step closer to getting this all back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks