• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering pump

trooper632

My M998's power steering pump is toast I believe. Its noisy and it overflows out of the cap, gets foamy. its a 1987 model but it has a 6.5 in it. Are the pumps just plain GM pump or are they special for the military, I think I need to replace it, didn't know if I could get it at NAPA before I pull it off, Thanks

papakb

HMMWV PS pump

It's easy to bleed the system. Put the front end up on jackstands, make sure the reservoir is full and turn the steering from lock to lock and hold it at each end for a few seconds. Make sure the reservoir stays full or you'll just be sucking more air into the system. You may have to do this 10 or 20 times to get all the air out.

The pumps are just Saginaw pumps off of Chevies. Pick one up at a wrecking yard or bite the bullet and drop $20 off at O'Reillys.

Kurt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks