• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering vs not????

coastalconstruction

Im looking at a few trucks and having never driven a deuce before ,Id like to here some feedback on air assist vs manual steering .It sounds like its adds a couple of thousand dollars to the truck if it has it .It also sounds like the manufactor of these airomatics have stoped making them for purchase. my needs for the truck will require getting in and out of some tight spots at times and Im concerned about the manual steering will get to be quite a work out after a while.
Thanks for ANY feedback.
Lance :?:

jwaller

the assist is only that an assist. you still dont want to turn the wheels without moving. that being said you can easily turn the wheels while moving. I would spend the $ on another more useful accessory.

sermis

I added the air assist to my truck. I have some shoulder issues and after a day of driving the truck I just hurt. I am running 395/85/20's. I would say it is 70% better but there is a lot of rubber on the ground. I think with 9.00 or 11.00 20 it would help more. I wish I would have fabed up hydro power steering.

Flea

I've got the Air-o-Matic...

After owning a deuce for a little over a month, I gotta say I'll never own another one without it! Steering is about like my old F-150 (98) at speed. I agree on the turning while stopped, though. Little tough, but it doesn't take much movement to get those wheels turned.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having never had an assist on mine, can't say which is better, but, I don't have an issue with the way it is in stock form. Sure, it can be a bit tough to turn in a tight spot, but never got into a place I couldn't get out of. Look at it this way, you'll add 2" to your chest if you drive it alot! :lol:

nattieleather

I had my duce for a year and then put on the air assist....I loved it. Before I had a work out driving the truck and after it was a pleasure to drive.

It is not a must have thing and if your young the work out might even feel good, but when you start getting up in age the help is greatly appreciated.

OD_Coyote

Re: RE: power steering vs not????

jwaller said:
the assist is only that an assist. you still dont want to turn the wheels without moving. that being said you can easily turn the wheels while moving. I would spend the $ on another more useful accessory.
:ditto: Also, if you keep about 3 tons loaded in the bed you can turn the steering wheel with very little effort. :mrgreen:

emr

RE: Re: RE: power steering vs not????

I have driven the air assist in a deuce, its an easier steer.more money than easyness in my eyes , and i have a 5 tonner with power steering, i say this because i would not even go the distance for a 5 ton power steer unit, i understand its been done but cutting is involved, the 5 tonners is a better or a real i guess power steering, i say this for a reason i think?, now the deuces i have owned without power sterring have been noticably an easier steer when properly greased, my deuces steer pretty well, i can one hand em well on flat pavement, raise the wheels when greasing anything and steer em, grease is cheap, I LOVE all the conversions i see, and really think it is cool to see what alot of guys do to these deuces, totaly awesome ability, and amazing trucks that can handle all of it, BUT I for one ..for me anyway say a deuce is a deuce and I love mine just they way they came, no power steering is dont get mad at me but a real truck, But when i jump in the 800 i say OH MY that is just so nice, so go figure, I do use a suicide knob on my tan deuce... not on my 24087 though just doesnt seem right, BUT they are awesome, as for is it leagal? its an antique , it is not a daily driver, and it works better then the power assist in my eyes.for under 10 bucks. Randy

emr

I need to ad, that every guy i know that has it loves it, and I understand the only place to get them is a top notch place,I have heard ALOT of good things about it and them, And would like to point out if U want one, in another thread there was concern about some part or something, and Arhtur was all over it ,so i would buy anything from Him. but thats the nice part of these things i guess, we are all different and so are our trucks, Randy

sermis

Install of the air assist is really simple. No welding or fabricating. Replace the drag link. Simple with impact and wide slotted driver socket. Replace U bolts and lower spring plate, install cylinder, add “T” in airline, slip on air lines and drive. I think the instructions indicate 4 hour install. I think mine took about 2.5 hours.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
pros-
safer
reduces fatigue(try off roading/city in 95*F/100%humidity)
helps guest drivers learn to drive
backing trailer easier (usually done below 5mph)
better control both on road and off
adds resale value
may make resale easier
a mod that some may consider mil appropriate
adds a personal touch for those that need to fuss
easy install
can be removed/ moved to another vehicle
low cost

cons:
high cost
service parts availability ?
slower to re center(at low speeds you may have to crank it back to center)
air cylinder location another concern for rock hounds/off roaders
extended unassisted steering a good low impact, free, workout - builds upper body stength. May help you find a hot date.

with air assist-
I'd say there is little or no difference(effort) above, say, 10mph.

At 0mph you can turn the wheel, with some effort, with one finger(aka: a huge difference). JimK

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
at the high cost of air o matic i could make up hyd kits, but i am not willing to deal with the liability. yes there is some welding and some holes to drill and you have to remove the radiator, but you end up with something you will love. stopped with 14.5r20 tires you can easily steer with palm or just one finger on any surface. driving, it is easier than my subaru outback. the 3 upgrades i make to any deuce i own are hyd steering, dual power brakes, and overdrive.

jasonjc

I got lucky and got a M109A3 with the air asst. and I love it but unless I just had alot of $$, Idon't think I would put one on. My other trucks still have hand power and I still drive them. If you have such tight spaces you mite want to rethink a deuce, they are not vere nimble.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: MODIFICATION

I have been practicing parallel parking with my deuce and it DOES NOT have air assist. I happen to like the workout I'm getting from it :lol:

I also think it's fine without once you are moving. I think power steering is great but also recommend you spend the $$ elsewhere.

coastalconstruction

Thanks to all for the reply on this subject. Ive been driving old trucks all my life and just havnt had the pleasure of driving the deuce yet. my useual aproach is to dive head first into things but I thought I do a little reserch first for a change -thanks again too all
Lance - Ill be driving a duece soon. I just need to get my hands on one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks