• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering whine/cavitation

2w091

After starting and running for a few minutes the power steering starts to whine noticeably, I've read that it may be cavitation through the pump when it's cold but it's doing it in all weather conditions. I also read the tech data a while ago and know there is a relationship between the power steering and the brake boost pump (not sure if that's the right term).
Is this something I should be concerned with as far as the pump going bad, or something else? I do have an new power steering pump as a spare.
Thoughts, suggestions?

Dock Rocker

This may sound stupid but have you checked the level of your power steering tank? Every time mine starts to whine I am a little low on PS fluid. I add just a little and it goes away.

I would start with googling for the document hummer_h1_manuel_utilisateur.pdf, then hit section 7-8.

There is also the document hmmwv_test-diagnostics.pdf section 9-1.

2w091

This may sound stupid but have you checked the level of your power steering tank? Every time mine starts to whine I am a little low on PS fluid. I add just a little and it goes away.
Nothing stupid about it at all, I do/did check the levels and they are fine. It doesn't start whining until after it warms up.
I'm learning this as I go, I have all the manuals and do most of the PMCS myself. I'm in the early walking stage, I started at the crawling stage................
Thanks for the reply!

2w091

Up as in bad?
I did what the -24-1 stated (thanks Snock :grin:) and it seems to be better for now anyway. I was lucky enough to get a CCA pump via the supply system as a spare, we'll see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks