• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Whine/ PN for 6.5 Pump?

Kevin Donahue

Hello all,

I noticed recently that my PS was getting noisy especially while off roading as well as becoming hard to turn at full lock or when in a jam on the trail. Upon inspection I noticed that my steering box was leaking out of the cover and possibly near the output shaft.

Long story but I eventually just replaced the box entirely. Steering seems significantly better now and actually re-centers like a normal car when pulling out onto the road.
However.... noise is still there and will really pipe up when driving aggressively. Truck is also difficult to get to full lock when stationary.

I more or less followed the bleed procedure but I am going to try again tomorrow and follow it exactly.
Keep in mind this is an A2 truck with the remote reservoir. Assuming this doesn't fix the two issues I am having, I will likely replace the pump.

1. Does anyone have a link or the PN for the Humvee 6.5 PS pump? I am finding ones from the H1 for sale which I assume will work but want to be sure.
2. Do the A2 trucks normally have these problems naturally? Obviously I want everything to work flawlessly but I understand why something that weighs over 6000lbs with 37 inch tires might have some trouble getting to full lock sometimes while parked. I am thinking the noise is almost certainly remaining air in the system but the truck has done this since I bought it, even before the PS pump started leaking.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
power steering pump with remote reservoir (you might be able to find it elsewhere cheaper/faster, but beware of chinese import parts as this operates at a higher pressure than most civilian PS pumps)

I have the older style pump (reservoir is part of pump) and it whined and whined when I first replaced it. Finally just filled it to overflowing and kept it filled to overflowing, turned the wheels a few times, topped up to overflowing again, and haven't had any issues since.

If it's whining and you can't see any air in the system (bubbles/foam in the reservoir), then it likely does need replaced.

Just to be clear though, you said that the steering box was leaking so you replaced it, but also the power steering pump is leaking now as well?

Action

Kevin, how full do you kerp the reservoir? There was another member on here that was having leaks at top of reservoir. When i pointed out that it was almost impossible to do if at proper level, they didnt reply.

Kevin Donahue

Kevin, how full do you kerp the reservoir? There was another member on here that was having leaks at top of reservoir. When I pointed out that it was almost impossible to do if at proper level, they didnt reply.
Hello, I keep it in the site glass. I do have some spillage at the top of the reservoir where the rotating vent cap connects to the large bolt. Its a bit annoying but since this is not a pressurized part of the system I know its not contributing to my issues. Also take into account that I off road my Humvee a lot, so it regularly gets put at some very extreme angles which is probably why I am experiencing spill whereas most people do not from that reservoir.

Kevin Donahue

power steering pump with remote reservoir (you might be able to find it elsewhere cheaper/faster, but beware of chinese import parts as this operates at a higher pressure than most civilian PS pumps)

I have the older style pump (reservoir is part of pump) and it whined and whined when I first replaced it. Finally just filled it to overflowing and kept it filled to overflowing, turned the wheels a few times, topped up to overflowing again, and haven't had any issues since.

If it's whining and you can't see any air in the system (bubbles/foam in the reservoir), then it likely does need replaced.

Just to be clear though, you said that the steering box was leaking so you replaced it, but also the power steering pump is leaking now as well?
Hi Coug, fortunately I don't think the pump is leaking, just a bit noisy and kind of weak. Effectively having the remote reservoir setup is probably already doing the same process you described since the pump must be constantly be getting a supply of fluid from the big container on top of the engine.

Fluid is not foamy anymore but I did only bleed it once so I probably need to do it a few more times before I rush out and buy a new pump. Thank you very much for the PN as well!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks