• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering whine when hot

RayGunSlayer

I just noticed last week that my power steering started whining only whenever the fluid was fully warmed up. Now I will be changing it as I see that I should be using dextrin but right now there is power steering fluid in there. I did a full flush about 500 miles ago when I got my M1097A2. It worked perfectly fine up until just last week. Anyone else have this problem? I’ve seen some people say that the screen in the reservoir could be clogged up but wouldn’t that cause it to whine all the time rather than just when warm?

RayGunSlayer

Maybe the fluid is losing viscosity and is too thin? 🤷‍♂️
That was something that I had thought about but I just found it to be odd since the fluid was only 500 miles old. And when I said a flushed the power steering fluid I mean like I completely cleaned everything out that I could and replaced all of the power steering hoses including the high pressure lines.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just noticed last week that my power steering started whining only whenever the fluid was fully warmed up. Now I will be changing it as I see that I should be using dextrin but right now there is power steering fluid in there. I did a full flush about 500 miles ago when I got my M1097A2. It worked perfectly fine up until just last week. Anyone else have this problem? I’ve seen some people say that the screen in the reservoir could be clogged up but wouldn’t that cause it to whine all the time rather than just when warm?
Is is possible that the low pressure (suction) hose has a crack in it and is possibly sucking air?
That could make a whining sound...

You could wiggle the hose with a "Soldier B" at the controls to turn the truck OFF while you wiggle the hoses.

It isn't quite like searching for a vacuum leak with ether where the motor speeds up, but another idea is spraying
WD40 or something like it on the suction hose to see if it suddenly gets quiet. It won't last long, but at least you
will know where to look if the whine changes pitch.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
then why did you flush out dexron and put in power steering fluid? All fluids are listed in the operator’s manual. TM 9-2320-280-10.
Action is 1000%.Our vehicles don’t use power steering fluid IIRC.

We also use DOT 5 brake fluid, not DOT 3 or 4 or 5.1, in case you made that mistake also.

Last edited:

RayGunSlayer

then why did you flush out dexron and put in power steering fluid? All fluids are listed in the operator’s manual. TM 9-2320-280-10.
Sorry I actually completely read that wrong. Whenever I first bought it, I only drove it for just a couple of minutes and I literally mean like 3 minutes around my block and that was honestly out of pure excitement of having a hmmwv. It never got warm at all that first test drive before I started tearing every nut and bolt off the truck and rebuilding it from the ground up. This morning just to double check I did the full procedure of bleeding the system just to see if it would help out some since this is still my daily driver. This weekend though I will fully flush the system and put dexron 3 in there

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I think the "excitement" is putting a damper on the "new" HumV ride. A few system NEED to be checked out before hitting the road. Even a new car goes thur some sort of delivery checks and sometimes Opps... loose bolt, low fluid or none. 30 year old truck and I don't care what Uncle Sam say's... I'am doing more than a walk-around, - tire kick, unless I stole it. Old HMMWV and things are not going to be working right.

While waiting for the EUC to clear... read, read and read some more,. At least look at the pictures. Ask questions. Just like you did 40 years ago. OK 60... maybe 15 when you spied that COOL TOY in the comic books. Those X-ray glasses didn't work either. More research needed. Ask the guys here on SS like your big brother.

A few hours on the front end will save time, frustration and money. Reading over some of the post here, I got to say " We have been down this road before" Like last week... LOL. It's a life experience, exchange of skills, brotherhood, a hobby, then a COOL truck.

Santa, the swim googles and snorkel worked great, CAMO

Can I get my money back on the X-Ray's?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use power steering fluid and for serious Off roading, it’s actually recommended.
ATF has the habit of cavitation, this causes air, this in turn causes issues in the steering when you need it the
most. You can replace your ATF with PS fluid as along as you do a good flush.
The Same applies to brakes, you can flush all the dot 5 out and run Dot 3/4 with no issues....just done mix it.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military trucks tend to run the fewest number of different fluids as possible, so it's not usually what's the best fluid for an application, it's what fluid is already being used that can also be used elsewhere.
To my understanding civi H1s used power steering fluid not atf. Not sure what they used for brake fluid, but it's not like the brake system on these is anything exotic that requires something special, it's all standard brake system components hooked together in a standard way, so no reason why any standard brake fluid type shouldn't work, provided you're not mixing/contaminating them (so flush thoroughly before changing type)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Military trucks tend to run the fewest number of different fluids as possible, so it's not usually what's the best fluid for an application, it's what fluid is already being used that can also be used elsewhere.
To my understanding civi H1s used power steering fluid not atf. Not sure what they used for brake fluid, but it's not like the brake system on these is anything exotic that requires something special, it's all standard brake system components hooked together in a standard way, so no reason why any standard brake fluid type shouldn't work, provided you're not mixing/contaminating them (so flush thoroughly before changing type)

All true. But with all those brakes to maintain coupled with the DOT 3-4 sucking up moisture, IMO it would be a major headache. DOT 5 is in all of my trailers and HumV. Pryor to my switching always something rusted, crudded up, leaking, blowing out seals in the fleet. LOL Car collector buddy has 20 plus cars all set up on DOT 5. Never a in 40 years a problem and swears by DOT 5. Your results may vary.

Don't have any scoop on ATF / PS fluid. I get the stocking issue. Flush, fill and give it a go. Wonder if hydro winch trucks would be OK ?? Something to google, lol.

Stopped messing with DOT 3, DOT 5 4 ME, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks