• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering

davik

I just bought a 92 HMMV and the first thing I noticed when I drove it was power steering fluid coming out of the cap. I bought a new cap and it still came out. Then I bought a new O-ring and that seemed to stop the fluid from bubbling out. I'm noticing it still makes a lot of screeching when I turn and it doesn't feel like it handles very well. Very difficult to turn the wheel when not driving. Any suggestions?

davik

Also is there a list of things I should do to a new to me HMMV. It runs, but I don't know what type of stuff I should look for or maintain before it becomes a problem. I'm not much of a car guy but have taken to youtube to figure out how to fix some stuff on my own.

Wire Fox

Also is there a list of things I should do to a new to me HMMV. It runs, but I don't know what type of stuff I should look for or maintain before it becomes a problem. I'm not much of a car guy but have taken to youtube to figure out how to fix some stuff on my own.
It will be difficult to turn when not moving, and nearly impossible without the engine running. Screeching is either the belt slipping, lack of proper fluid level, or air in the lines. If you haven't already bled the power steering system exactly per the manual's instructions, go back and do that. I had a tremendous difference in my pump from completing a bleed procedure.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Wire Fox

And you said you're new to working on cars... do be very careful with two things especially:

Do not reach to the power steering system with the engine running. Way too much danger of touching rotating belts. They'll take a finger off much easier than you'd think possible.

Do not go under any part of your HMMWV while it's lifted off the ground, unless supported by a sturdy and rigid device designed to hold it indefinitely and any wheels on the ground are securely chocked. A hydraulic jack can never be used on its own when getting under a vehicle, always use appropriately rated and secured stands.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest checking the orings at each hose connection. I suspect you are sucking in air somewhere. Which o ring did you change? the one at the hose fitting on the pump? If so duplicate your efforts at all the fitting ends.

Several members have had this issue due to orings.

orgnal

I just bought a 92 HMMV and the first thing I noticed when I drove it was power steering fluid coming out of the cap. I bought a new cap and it still came out. Then I bought a new O-ring and that seemed to stop the fluid from bubbling out. I'm noticing it still makes a lot of screeching when I turn and it doesn't feel like it handles very well. Very difficult to turn the wheel when not driving. Any suggestions?
When not running, the steering wheel is VERY hard to turn. That part is normal.

McReddy

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are if it's already bubbling up, the pump is shot and needs replacing...these pumps are not very forgiving.
could be air getting in somewhere, but if bleeding don't do it, I don't waste my time and just put in a new pump.
part number rcsk18330

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks