• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering

ranchhopper

I used this steering box from a ford F700 in my bobbed truck its powered from the pump on the 3208 cat thats in the truck now. The vickers pump in that powers the steering in that five ton will bolt to your deuce multifuel but I have recentered HEMTT rims on the truck the backspacing on the rims is perfect no rubbing anywhere with the 1400X20s on the truck.

Attachments

tm america

I'm sure it would go on the and turn the right way but that shaft running from the box to the pivot would hit the tire when flexed.My tires hit the inner fenders when flexed out i'm sure having that sticking out another two or three inches would be not such a good thing

I used this steering box from a ford F700 in my bobbed truck its powered from the pump on the 3208 cat thats in the truck now. The vickers pump in that powers the steering in that five ton will bolt to your deuce multifuel but I have recentered HEMTT rims on the truck the backspacing on the rims is perfect no rubbing anywhere with the 1400X20s on the truck.
I was trying to stay away from running a box on the outside of the frame rail but that box looks pretty narrow. I'll have to look around and see if I can find a F700 box.
How far does yours stick out from the frame ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kevin, got any pics of the steering shaft? Been thinking more about power steering as a safety aspect with these big tires.

I'm sure it would go on the and turn the right way but that shaft running from the box to the pivot would hit the tire when flexed.My tires hit the inner fenders when flexed out i'm sure having that sticking out another two or three inches would be not such a good thing
That shaft is less than 5 inches from the frame. ranchhopper's box sticks out 8 to 10 inches and he claims the tire doesn't hit it.

tm america

i'm sure recentered hemmit rims like has is alot different than the stock rims i am using...also where his box is mounted makes a diff.The tires get closer to the inner fender when flexing .The front of the tire only gets closer when turning.But i am thinking it wouldn.t be much of a problem or guys with 5 tons would be talking about it

Trango

Ranch hopper's setup reminds me of the Ross Hydrapower box I used for my own 3208 steering - well, the LAST setup I used on that truck (I had tried a manual box and another power box before finding the HFB52).

Even though we cut up that truck (because I can't leave well enough alone), my friend still has that box. The advantage to the out-of-the-rails box is that you can put whatever engine you want between the framerails - the disadvantages are tire clearance and the need to create a custom steering linkage.

LMK if you want me to see how much my friend wants for that box. It's all ready to go for a deuce framerail, and I even made the correct draglink for it.

Best,
Bob

ranchhopper

I can get better pics tomorrow I used a steering shaft from an 818 as they telescope I had to shorten it and get a splined U-joint to go onto the input shaft on the steering gear.I used the original deuce draglink I had to cut a section out then bevel the ends slide a piece of solid stock inside then sleeve the outside and weld it all together 180 degrees end to end as the tie rod end piece went into the steering gear arm from the backside in its original configuration..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks