• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering

N1265

I currently have the same thing going on with my truck , Here is a link where this problem is being talked about. the boxes are rebuildable. but I am not sure where to get a kit.

I have adjusted the The screw on the oppisite side of the pitman arm. I turned mine in 3/4 turn and ran it 25 miles. it has been sitting the last three days without leaking.... But it is to early to claim success.

There is a procedure to adjust the lash in the gears and the pre-load on the bearings, but it requires taking the box out and using a in./lbs. torque wrench. It is in a hanys manual for the 1977 W200 dodge trucks.

Some have thought their box was junk because of to much play in the wheel, But got it working properly by doing both adjustments, If just turning the screw does not work on my leak I will pull the box and do both adjustments the right way. Then if I don't get any joy, I will get a new box ( or a rebuild kit )

P/s box rebuild '77 - Power Wagon Advertiser Forums

Let us know how you make out...

N1265

On mine there are two seperate plates on the front of the pump, the one with the adjustment slot bolts to the bottom of the P/S pump and goes on the outside of the other one ( a triangle shape one ) the second plate bolts to the engine ( water pump I think ) to give the lower pivit bolt some support...

you can sorta make it out in Pick # 6 from the above post...

Last edited:

Hotrod1340

HEy thank again for all the help, I can see both plates now, I was just viewing your pictures on a 8" screen....I have both plates i just was unsure how they worked together.

The hoses get here tomorrow or wednesday, I should have it mounted tonight or tomorrow so we should know something by this weekend....

I will keep you posted.

M725

I currently have the same thing going on with my truck , Here is a link where this problem is being talked about. the boxes are rebuildable. but I am not sure where to get a kit.

I have adjusted the The screw on the oppisite side of the pitman arm. I turned mine in 3/4 turn and ran it 25 miles. it has been sitting the last three days without leaking.... But it is to early to claim success.

There is a procedure to adjust the lash in the gears and the pre-load on the bearings, but it requires taking the box out and using a in./lbs. torque wrench. It is in a hanys manual for the 1977 W200 dodge trucks.

Some have thought their box was junk because of to much play in the wheel, But got it working properly by doing both adjustments, If just turning the screw does not work on my leak I will pull the box and do both adjustments the right way. Then if I don't get any joy, I will get a new box ( or a rebuild kit )

P/s box rebuild '77 - Power Wagon Advertiser Forums

Let us know how you make out...
Check out: www.agrperformance.com
All they do is power steering boxs and pumps. I sent two boxs for rebuilt so far. It's been great I can turn the wheel with one finger. I would say it has been the best thing I have done to the trucks.
Don't forget to add PS cooler , overheating of the fulid is the major cause of leaks.
If you do use AGR call first and let them know what you want done.
Also check out there Tech section it might help you with your power steering project.

Hotrod1340

OK big problems! 1977 dodge trail duster steering box has a flared end.
the 84 ram charger has a flare end with a center thing sticking out with a O ring.....

What our my options here
Get custom Hose?
get different PS pump or steering box.

Do i have any other options.

Hotrod1340

I am claiming VICTORY!!!!! I am going to upload pictures later to show the differences in the hoses. So this is what i had to do:
I was able to cut off the funky end then re-flare it and put a small bend and boom it was on.. I fired it up and it works! I cant believe i was able to find junk yard parts, put them on, and it works!!!!

Also the front drive shaft is on to.....
Power steering and 4-wheel drive all in the same trip. This was a good day!!!!!!

Last edited:

Hotrod1340

Well it has been a few weeks, everything is still working BUT its is still leaking around the pittman shaft not bad but it leaks.

Also when its parked (not moving) and i try to turn the wheels it "screems" it make the same noise when you turn all the way and it hits the stops? fluid is full not to full belt is tight...any ideas?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks