• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering

jag7720

My M1009 just started to make noise from the power steering pump when it is under a load (turning while siting in one place)

If I am rolling it doesn't do it... I put on a new belt (the shorter one for better fitting) and it still does it.

The fluid it correct.

Is this a sign of the pump going bad or is there something that I can do to resolve this?

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any excessive play in the steering wheel at speed? Does it make a growling noise? Have you checked the tire pressure? If your tires are low, they put extra strain on the steering components when the truck isn't rolling. Do you feel anything binding anywhere in the wheel as you turn it? Check the steering linkages, tie rod ends, etc to make sure nothing is excessively worn. If everything on the front end is original from GM, it might not be a bad idea to do some Preventative Maintenance on it.

I hope my 2cents helps!

Ken_86gt

As long as the fluid level is good- I have found that pump noise usually means that it is starting to fail. Now that noisy pump will likely run a very, very long time before it actually fails to the point it does not function.

jag7720

As long as the fluid level is good- I have found that pump noise usually means that it is starting to fail. Now that noisy pump will likely run a very, very long time before it actually fails to the point it does not function.
That is what I am thinking... I put on all new ball joints and u-joints in the front. I'm putting on a new steering damper tonight.

Nothing is bent or out of alignment...it just started making this noise and it gets kinda "jerky" or seems to miss a beat when the noise starts.

Rebuilt pumps are about $55.... are they hard to replace?

Ken_86gt

Not to bad, you probably will need to swap the pulley to the new pump- so you may need to borrow the puller if you don't have one. I would swap the complete unit with the tank rather than just the pump.

jag7720

Ok I got the pump out. Does the pully just "pull" off? I looked at the TM and it just says "Remove power steering pump pulley (14)."

I don't see anything "holding" it in place. I have a puller but I don't want to bend it if there is something that I am missing that is holding it in place.

thanks

jag7720

Well the noises back... new pumps new belt new steering damper... it doesn't happen all the time when I'm sitting still wanna try to go lock to lock it makes the noise.

Thoughts?

Ken_86gt

Is the steering still feel jerky at times?

I have heard about hoses that can collapse internally, not necessarily on CUCVs, but a collapsed hose would could a loss of fluid flow and some noise from the pump.

The steering box? I never had one fail to point of causing pump noise.

ryan77

Might be the hydroboost going bad! Mine on my blazer went out was leaking in the cab and the power steering wouldn't work at all!!!

jag7720

It feels jerky when I am stopped or moving slowly and turning.

I don't think the hydro-boost is going bad but I have no proof of that.

I haven't changed the lines but it seems that a collapsed line would inflate with pressure.

Thoughts?

chevyCUCV

Have you jacked up the front and and turned lock to lock?
Your axle shaft ujoint are in good shape?

What did the fluid look like that came out?
And i would have installed a filter when replacing the pump, most require it to uphold warranty.

jag7720

Have you jacked up the front and and turned lock to lock?
Your axle shaft ujoint are in good shape?

What did the fluid look like that came out?
And i would have installed a filter when replacing the pump, most require it to uphold warranty.
I jacked it up and did the lock to lock... No issues and no squealing.

The fluid was red so someone prolly used atf. It was not burnt or flu cloudy. I replaced it with power steering fluid.

The new pump didn't mention a filter.

My u-joints are new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks