• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Powering inverter off deuce

47to70

Could powering an inverter off the slave cable receptacle for an extended period of time mess up my electrical system? I would like to use it as a backup for power outages. My concern is that the vehicle batteries could over charge or do other damage to the electrical system. Am not much of a mechanic and even less of an electrician.

DaneGer21

Could powering an inverter off the slave cable receptacle for an extended period of time mess up my electrical system? I would like to use it as a backup for power outages. My concern is that the vehicle batteries could over charge or do other damage to the electrical system. Am not much of a mechanic and even less of an electrician.
Theoretically, no damage other than drain batteries.

What size inverter? Seems like a big task. Why not a generator?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1000 watt 24-120 volt inverter, when loaded with 1000 watts of 120 volt devices such as lights, fans etc will draw 40-50 amps of 24 volts DC. The truck's batteries can handle that for about 5 minutes, then the voltage will droop and you will have to start the truck to let the alternator supply the energy. That is where the problem begins. The MIL 60 amp alternator cannot handle production of 60 amps all day long as one might suspect, being mil spec and all. It will overheat and fail.

fleetmech

inverters are cool in theory, until you do the math and realize how inefficient voltage conversion is.

Another consideration is temperature and load on the trucks engine. Big diesel/ MF engines like heat and hard work, running for hours on end with very little overall load might not get you up to temperature. Running at low temp burns fuel inefficiently and at best will cause condensation buildup which isnt good. Continuous use under temp will result in incomplete combustion and the attendant wet stacking, oil dilution, cylinder wall washing etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks