• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Powersteering and 395/85R20s rub issue

army70deuce

Has anyone used the Waterloo power steering system with the saginaw 710 steering box. If so have they also upgraded to super singles. I have had the powersteering for a long time and it works great. However, having just swapped to 395/85R20's with the MRAP adapter plates I now get tire rub against the pitman arm when turning right. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what was the fix. I have tried shortening and lengthening the linkage that connects to the pitman arm and it gave me a slight increase before rubbing. I was going to try moving the entire setup back towards the axle to put it inside the turning radius of the tire but the hose from the pump is not long enough and that is a last resort because I'd have to remove, drill new holes and remount the entire setup. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

0821161505.jpg0821161505a.jpg0905161031.jpg

It might be hard to tell from the pictures but the inside edge of the tread is what is rubbing against the pitman arm.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone used the Waterloo power steering system with the saginaw 710 steering box. If so have they also upgraded to super singles. I have had the powersteering for a long time and it works great. However, having just swapped to 395/85R20's with the MRAP adapter plates I now get tire rub against the pitman arm when turning right. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what was the fix. I have tried shortening and lengthening the linkage that connects to the pitman arm and it gave me a slight increase before rubbing. I was going to try moving the entire setup back towards the axle to put it inside the turning radius of the tire but the hose from the pump is not long enough and that is a last resort because I'd have to remove, drill new holes and remount the entire setup. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 644540View attachment 644539View attachment 644541

It might be hard to tell from the pictures but the inside edge of the tread is what is rubbing against the pitman arm.
You might need to find rims with a different off-set.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 644540View attachment 644539View attachment 644541

Been there, doing that. I'm running 365-85 20's with a Waterloo kit. Had some rub with 11.00's. I smoothed the pitman arm nut and adjusted the R knuckle steering stop by welding a nut on the end of it. Cuts my R turning radius, but just clears now. Sorry for the one sideways pic, wasn't like that when I uploaded it.

Attachments

army70deuce

I'm going to show my ignorance of steering components but where are the steering stops located. I might be fine with the steering I have if I can stop the wheel from turning before it rubs.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to show my ignorance of steering components but where are the steering stops located. I might be fine with the steering I have if I can stop the wheel from turning before it rubs.
They are located on the steering knuckle behind the axle. Turn the wheels all of the way one way or the other, in your case to the left, then look behind the wheel on the left side, you will see what looks like a large bolt contacting or nearly contacting the axle housing. That is the left side steering stop. Your right side stop won't quite touch, as the tire hits the pitman arm first. The stop bolt has a nut welded to it, so it can't be adjusted. That is why I welded a large nut to the head of the bolt on the right side stop. That one is the side to limit your tire rub when fully turned to the right.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are located on the steering knuckle behind the axle. Turn the wheels all of the way one way or the other, in your case to the left, then look behind the wheel on the left side, you will see what looks like a large bolt contacting or nearly contacting the axle housing. That is the left side steering stop. Your right side stop won't quite touch, as the tire hits the pitman arm first. The stop bolt has a nut welded to it, so it can't be adjusted. That is why I welded a large nut to the head of the bolt on the right side stop. That one is the side to limit your tire rub when fully turned to the right.

Just took a quick pic. Here is the modified one on my truck.

Attachments

army70deuce

As recommended by Quadjeeper I welded a nut on the end of the stop and it has fixed the problem. Stops the wheel like 1/8" before rubbing, only issue would be if I aired down the tires but that would be offroad only and I'd probably not be making a hard turn like on city streets. Now the next problem, does anyone know where to get the break line that runs just above the stop? It seems the spring that holds it up out of the way came loose and allowed it to sag and get squashed by the wheel stop.DSCN2179.jpg

tobyS

Isn't this where some people have put a 1/4" or 3/8" spacer (between wheel and hub) to give more clearance when using the MRAP wheels (backspacing).

Re the stop bolt; Looks like a good time to replace the bolt and get a lock-nut.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks