• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Practical uses for a Deuce

HowlingMad

Howdy,
I've been dreaming of one of these for 20 years and now in a better place to own one, except for the married part, naturally. Anyway, I was hoping you all could help me find a practical reason to own one, tell me what you do with yours.

I'm looking at a M35A2 with a heater, hard top and winch and about 18k miles @$4200.

I already have a M105, M101 and F350 that gets most Harry homeower jobs done. We do heat our house entirely with wood, but it seems somewhat impractical to think I could hoist too many logs 4' in the body without getting old pretty quick.

There are lot's of other noob posts, but I haven't been able to find many "at work" pictures (besides house moving and fire fighting). Sorry if this has been answered before, please point me to the posts.

Is there anyone that actually regrets buying one?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Here's a picture of the M105 (before I modified the tongue).

Attachments

msmith304

I love mine :) I just got mine to toy around with but its become my metal best friend- its a great head turner and a good workhorse. I've been hauling logs with it and of course its a blast to take down trails. just my 2cents

rtl434

The only regret I have about buying one is I had an opportunity to buy two:-D I now own five and "need" more. Each has some small practical use but mostly they are for fun, luckily I don't have to justify my toys.

DMgunn

Regret?? Are you kidding me? I only regret that I don't have a shop big enough to work on mine close to home. As far as practical uses, they are perfect for:

-hauling out grass clippings
-checking the mail
-hauling sandbags during natural disasters - speaking of disasters, it would be time well spent to find and read the excellent story about helping out after hurricane Katrina written by a true hero that goes by "Sarge" around here.
-did I mention hauling branches after a windstorm?
-do you really need to justify it? If so, I am in trouble..:oops:

DMgunn

BTW, the reason I originally clicked on this thread is 'cause I thought someone had actually come up with a practical use for my truck (even though it isn't technically a Deuce)

Oh well, I'll think of something......

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, welcome aboard! If you do a search for "uses", you should be able to come up with some good threads. I do not have a practical use for mine, so I bought a second truck that was bobbed, that is more practical to me. I just think the trucks are cool and I like the history.

Sumoman

I bought one without an actual use beyond parades, rallys, and starting a new hobby. Like you I have the trailers already, and heat with wood. I find the trailers are great but cannot haul a winters worth of wood all at once. The deuce can do that saving me gas money and trips to the farm:-D

Seriously I got it for FUN, for parades, Haspin, and to have everyone without one asking how they can get their own:twisted:

kurtkds

I use mine all the time... Get to work and back, haul wood, scrap, parades, static display @ the local Grange fair.... And also to get looks while driving through town.. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

And Hauling the kids to go sledding..

Attachments

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about your question. It seems to me that I don't have to justify my desires to myself. I have to do it for others: to explain to someone else why I buy trucks.

It all got easier with my wife when I started telling the truth. I had been trying to create "reasons" for justifying a purchase. Finally one day, in a moment of frustration, I blurted out: "I just want to play!"

When she finally heard the truth, she smiled and said: I get it! Of course you should buy one!

Rick

Militoy

You NEED a Deuce to properly tow your military trailers. Sorry - but they will look silly behind a Ford F350. And BTW - nothing will tow your Deuce as well as a Deuce...

One important word of advice - Never line up your military toys all in a row - they will always look to your wife exactly like a burning pile for $100 bills :roll:

dburt

1) Cheaper then a psychiatrist for that feel good mental therapy it brings.
2) For some it is better and cheaper then hanging out at the bar or chasing wild women. (I know I will catch plenty of heat from some of you southern boys and northwest loggers for saying that!)
3) If you live somewhere near the woods and you can get and haul firewood, it sounds like something a boy scout would do. And who doesn't love a well meaning boy scout?
4) You will have a tall vehicle in case it floods and you have to evacuate quickly and your other rigs are under water, and your boat drifted off.
5) Think of the fuel you will save by having to go to Costco only once every 6 months and hauling all that good loot home in one trip.
Come on- get creative!

Lex_Ordo

People asked me the same question. "What are you going to do with that?"

Now if it was me that someone said to, "I'm buying a military truck." I would have replied, "Very cool, enjoy it. How did you get it?"

But that is because I have really great hobbies, and appreciate something different.

When someone asks me that dopey question above, it tells me one thing. They don't have any great hobbies, and can't appreciate someone elses interest.
Sucks to be them!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm only going to add one thing since there are just too many to list. If you heat with wood send a PM to Stretch! He uses his to haul, guess its scraps, from the sawmill. Apparently it's a pretty good way to get fuel for a woodfire cheap. Since most of us don't have a crane, I'd lay a chain or strap in the bed before loading and use it to make a slip knot so you can tie the wood to a tree and drive the truck out from under it. Stretch has posted pics in the past

Edit, here's the link.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/29931-m35-m108-moving-wood.html

Last edited:

zak

There was a potato chip commercial about not being able to eat just one. The deuce is the same, buy one and you got to have more. But then your started in the right direction with the trailers.:-D