• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pre-Buy jitters, Reliability nightmare horror stories... Please Help.

Desert Spectre

Hey guys, I realize that I may get some pretty bias answers here but I figure if anyone can set it straight, it would be you all. I am trolling Govplanet for a soft-top 4-door truck body, not too sure beyond that what model. I basically only heard recently about the hmmwv auctions and my inner-5 year old went insane at the news. However over the last month, He has been roundly silenced by memories and new testimonies of literally EVERY veteran friend I have ever known telling me of the nightmares and horrid reliability of these "piles of sh!t" and the scoffing at the idea that I could be considering owning one. Much of my online research seems to confirm this... I discovered this forum only today.

I want this truck as an open-air capable overland adventure vehicle... multi-day excursions into the back country with atleast one other rig, but possibly shorter solo runs as well. Also as a shooting rig, to get me and my gear out to the desert for all that fun. As such, I need it to be reasonably reliable... They all tell me it is a fool's errand.

So please, Set the record straight... Should I settle for some boring, drab, and dull jeep wrangler, or can my Inner-5 year old really make the surplus truck of his dreams work for this role? How expensive and extensive is the maintenance typically? Can they be made trustworthy? Is there specific models or years I should be gunning for?

The thought of giving up on the dreams of a HMMWV adventure/expedition vehicle really bummed me out tonight and I couldn't sit and silently ponder anymore.

Thank you all for your time,
Cory

Edit: I am an O/O truck Driver, and am very familiar with VERY expensive maintenance.

Last edited:

tanhmmwv

they are great trucks, if maintained properly and often.and not to be negative....
however, if you want an honest answer. they are not meant for daily drivers and they should not sit for long periods of time.
they must be driven at least once a week. otherwise, when you go to use it, there will likely be issues that need to be fixed immediately.
if you have allot of money. if you like to do weekly (PM)checks and maintenance. if you like oil leaks, loud road and engine noise while driving. if you like a max speed of 60-65 while shaking the teeth out of your head. if you like the smell of diesel while driving and on you after you exit the truck.... if you think kids will like these thing too.... then buy one.
HMMWV = High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle

Mario

What moron told you that HMMVW is unreliable?
It's built like a tank, sans few small concerns on some like grounding issues or wheel hubs coming off.
Remember that you'll be looking for 20+ year old vehicle, so maintenance is to be expected.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Desert Spectre

I edited my post above a bit, as I am an O/O truck driver... im used to PMs and fairly high maintenance vehicles. Dont mind oil leaks, all about the road noise and I know they are slow. Very familiar with reeking of diesel... no kids nor any plans for having them, lol. Sofar it doesnt seem too bad!

Desert Spectre

What moron told you that HMMVW is unreliable?
It's built like a tank, sans few small concerns on some like grounding issues or wheel hubs coming off.
Remember that you'll be looking for 20+ year old vehicle, so maintenance is to be expected.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Indeed, I mean besides my semi, my other vehicle is an '85 ford F-250... I know that old vehicles have their aches and pains... those "morons"... which were numerious, have me believing an HMMWV will leave me hopelessly stranded in the back country.

Augdog1964

I mean NO disrespect, but opinions are like... you know what...
Also remember these vehicles were serviced by motor pools and sat for long periods... yours won't be.

ari

Hey guys, I realize that I may get some pretty bias answers here but I figure if anyone can set it straight, it would be you all. I am trolling Govplanet for a soft-top 4-door truck body, not too sure beyond that what model. I basically only heard recently about the hmmwv auctions and my inner-5 year old went insane at the news. However over the last month, He has been roundly silenced by memories and new testimonies of literally EVERY veteran friend I have ever known telling me of the nightmares and horrid reliability of these "piles of sh!t" and the scoffing at the idea that I could be considering owning one. Much of my online research seems to confirm this... I discovered this forum only today.

I want this truck as an open-air capable overland adventure vehicle... multi-day excursions into the back country with atleast one other rig, but possibly shorter solo runs as well. Also as a shooting rig, to get me and my gear out to the desert for all that fun. As such, I need it to be reasonably reliable... They all tell me it is a fool's errand.

So please, Set the record straight... Should I settle for some boring, drab, and dull jeep wrangler, or can my Inner-5 year old really make the surplus truck of his dreams work for this role? How expensive and extensive is the maintenance typically? Can they be made trustworthy? Is there specific models or years I should be gunning for?

The thought of giving up on the dreams of a HMMWV adventure/expedition vehicle really bummed me out tonight and I couldn't sit and silently ponder anymore.

Thank you all for your time,
Cory

Edit: I am an O/O truck Driver, and am very familiar with VERY expensive maintenance.
The nightmares horrid reliability problems your vet buddies tell you about Mainly stem from a crappy maintenance team and more importantly weather or not the private working on the truck cares or not. im sure you would care for it many times more than a fresh 18 year old "mechanic".

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military learned there are some sure-fire ways to deadline a HMMWV:

Fording through deep water such that water gets splashed on the hood and sucked into the engine through the air precleaner

Neglect to lock the differentials with brake throttle modulation, get a wheel spinning in the air and then rapidly regain traction will break a halfshaft every time

Smashing into everything and anything especially cars will quickly ruin the NP218 transfer case

Fording without disabling the engine fan will break the fan blades every time

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience YMMV. My truck was in awesome shape, looked pampered. and has been dependable. It is very roadworthy and I sometimes go to a friends house one hour each way interstate. With Baja tires and 6.2l, I run 69mph on Interstate.

I had 2 dead batteries and a inoperative windshield washer pump. I have changed oil and full grease job. Coolant was crudy so a full flush for an hour of repeated flush/fills. Everything else look and feels tight.

I even picked it up very reasonable price and actually drove it home.

Go for it. Do your research and learn as much as you can. I read zillions of posts and read the tm's. I literally looked at hundreds of gp postings ( with all the pics and videos) so I could tell more about what I was looking at so I was better informed.

Last edited:

jeffy777

I do not think the HMMWV should be considered 'horrid reliability of these "piles of sh!t"'. So when well maintained they operate well for the environment they were designed.

They were not designed to be a commuter vehicles. They are designed for back country things like you are talking about. But they demand a careful eye and attention to maintenance.

You when buying one you have to know: you do not know who and how they beat and abused the vehicle. When they were turning them in for sale, they are selling them for a reason, even the military with some of there stupid decision making does not get rid of things that are valuable to them. You will be getting a truck they do not want to spend money on repairing. So you may have $0-$8,000(I am swagging the top side cost) in parts and if you are industrious enough (or dumb enough) you will have a great vehicle. Which if you take some care and time as you use and maintain will last a very long time.

I think you will find it easier to find it is easier to find a running and capable M998's(or M1038's) because they are simply pulling out of service for age. M998A1, A2, M1123's, or M1045 probably have some issue that you will have to fix but you will be fixing something so if that is a worry, I would go buy brand new 4 door Jeep's and you will get a couple years before having to start putting money in them. Though it is my opinion that dollar for dollar you having a properly maintained working HMMWV will cost mile over mile less over 10 years. They are just so basic a vehicle no major electronics. Pretty simple.

If you have major worries, I might go with a guy on this board who is a vendor (retired war horses) comes to mind but there are others to provide me with a good well running HMMWV.

Good luck!

I love my HMMWV!

Wire Fox

I've personally heard the same stories you've heard from people that I know. These things aren't hopeless by any stretch, you just have to compare it to what's similar out there. You've got a 6.2L (or 6.5L) GM Detroit Diesel-based engine, a 3L80/THM400 or 4L80E transmission, an NP218 or NP242 transfer case, and Torsen type 1 differentials. What makes it different? You have 4 wheel independent suspension, which isn't abnormal in itself, but it's abnormal for vehicles built for a vaguely similar environment, and also means you're not using solid axles. You have 4 geared hubs, which add additional maintenance items and also gear down your transmission's output (meaning, you're turning the transmission faster than a comparable vehicle to maintain the same speed). Also, are you ready to change your transmission and transfer case fluid every 12,000 miles? Your brakes are also inboard, which means when a wheel free spins and you suddenly apply your brakes, the weight of the spinning wheel is all exerted on the half shaft. Your engine is hindered by its cooling system, due to the semi-horizontal cooling stack instead of the traditional vertical stack. In extremely hot environments or extremely tasking situations for your engines, you are likely to encounter temperature management issues which you will need to get creative to mitigate.

I'm certain you could find a vehicle that can do the same role as the HMMWV in civilian hands that has a far less-demanding maintenance plan and would be a similar entry cost. If you needed to cover extremely long distances with no maintenance along the way, finding that alternative would probably be a better idea. Now, if you want to do shorter excursions (say, 2,000 miles at the most), the HMMWV will be within its major interval limits and you can have a **** of a good time embracing your inner 5 year old. I chose to embrace the 5 year old, because I don't need to do any cross-country hauls and can deal with having to do daily/weekly/monthly extensive inspections and massive lubrication orders every 3000 miles.

Desert Spectre

Thank you all very much for your input and time! These maintenance requirements all sound fairly reasonable to be honest, especially to truck drivers ears... I will continue to watch the auctions as well as look into Retired War Horses and the like. I know I could get a less intensive vehicle for the job but I do believe I would be the most passionate about one of these.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just go buy a new Ford Raptor
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/f-150/2017/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-first-test-velocity-raptor/

I do not know how much money it is...
If the wife hit the lottery it is first on my list
Right now I can't afford the sales tax on it
But I can dream ...................
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150raptor/

Or..... get a Deuce like I did./.....
OK, I going away now

but but ......... it is guaranteed!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/7-cool-facts-2017-ford-f-150-raptor/

Last edited:

DatGuyC

I've put a little over 10k miles on mine since I bought it 2 years ago, driven at least once a week. I did do thorough maintenance when I first got it like replace all the half shafts and all the seals in each geared hub and change all the liquids. Has stuff broken in that time, sure, but nothing major like the engine or transmission. Actually the only major problems I've had were with the electrical stuff and I installed a ground harness when I first got it, so you never know. Overall I wouldn't say its much more work than a normal older truck, just with some parts you cant get from the local parts place.

M1097A2NUT

I'll put it in trucker perspective for you. If you are comfortable with the maintenance costs of say a mid 80's Pete 379 then maintaining a HMMWV won't be an issue for you. As for extended length off road excursions I would recommend bringing a spare GPC/TSU and PCB with you. Other than that, if you do a full service of the vehicle and follow the PMCS correctly you will have a dependable vehicle. Now my personal opinion and recommendation is to look for one with the 6.5/4L80E combination as it is the better engine and overdrive transmission. You could comfortably maintain 70 mph with that setup.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
they are great trucks, if maintained properly and often.and not to be negative....
however, if you want an honest answer. they are not meant for daily drivers and they should not sit for long periods of time.
they must be driven at least once a week. otherwise, when you go to use it, there will likely be issues that need to be fixed immediately.
if you have allot of money. if you like to do weekly (PM)checks and maintenance. if you like oil leaks, loud road and engine noise while driving. if you like a max speed of 60-65 while shaking the teeth out of your head. if you like the smell of diesel while driving and on you after you exit the truck.... if you think kids will like these thing too.... then buy one.
HMMWV = High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle
Your truck must be in bad shape;)

I have owned and still own Variuous military vehicles from tanks to hand carts . I have had a HMMWV since 1999. The HMMWV is no more unreliable than any of them. When you get a truck it may have a few issues. They were all surplused for a reason. Once you fix these issues if done correctly I doubt you have problems that would not arise from any vehicle of the time period. My HMMWV is my favorite military vehicle. Easy to drive, not to big, almost as iconic as the WWII jeep, and if you have to easy to work on.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks