• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preamble to yet another WC brought back to life

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Gurantee before that rim gets hung in the rafters that stinkin lock ring WILL be removed one way or the other.

PB - wait till ya see your new studs and nuts coming for the drums so they are not all odd ball ones like the ones that were on there.
Lefties and Righties. Wishfull thinkin gets me nowhere - thinkin the last of the parts might make it here before the weekend - then you'll see some finishing stuff - most likely they will be here first of next week.
Work on getting some tires mounted up.
No worries my Brother just take your time.:beer:
That truck is about 6 months ahead of schedule by my calculations!!:papabear:

zout

Pintle hitch completed with grade 8 hardware for bolts - pull anything ya want PB.

I was not happy after doing the fender front area's as there seemed to be a lot of allowable flex that was unecessary - therefore leading to breaking and rusting again. I cut out two reinforcement plates - now I will drill out the attachment holes for mounting and securing the steps to the fronts of each fenders - its only a guess but I hope this helps in longevity of the build. NO it was not original but it will help in adding support to this area.

Whomever removed the spindle nuts beat and chiseled the living chit out of them (to those without proper tooling - (GO BUY IT AND STOP F-ING THINGS UP FOR THE REST OF US) how you set bearing tolerance with a chisel beats the crap out of me - proper tools are the KEY - get it.

I was kinda involved with a mission before getting to the garage so I was a slacker in getting much done tonight.
Photo2042.jpgPhoto2043.jpgPhoto2044.jpgPhoto2045.jpgPhoto2046.jpgPhoto2047.jpgPhoto2048.jpg those TIRES are cool.

o1951

PB - all I can say is you are one lucky ****. You are getting a concours restoration. From what I have seen, if you enter this in any shows, it is a sure first prize winner. Z does some of the finest work I have seen. Started with a butchered and possibly sabotaged pile of bear excrement. Pintle hitch bolt heads cut off, so if you tried to pull, would have dropped the load underway. Wrong wheel studs, brake backing plate torched up, hub whacked down, axle messed up, spindle nuts chewed, even a tire filled with water. As there is no way these things improved or extended the life of the vehicle, I fail to understand why anyone would do this.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
o1951 You're right...and I knew what I would get from the start as I have seen Zout's work up close.[thumbzup]

As far as the "modifications" there's no way to tell why they were done...or who did them but Zout has pretty much taken care of that so it should not be an issue.

As for "shows" etc...that won't happen other than maybe the few car shows around here put on to support Veterans and possibly local Christian organizations.

Zout and I are not out to win trophys or prizes, we just want the truck to represent those who used it or one like it serving our country.:beer:
:papabear:

zout

AMEN BRO - just like I had spoken that myself and well stated.

Those spindle nuts damage are more common than you could believe - just almost normal seeing them like this than taken off properly - I just had to get that burr off my arse about folks doing it is all.

Backing plate - probably had brakes totally frozen on and it was the only way they had to get them off - by looking at the locations of the cuts - again - do what ya had to do at the time.

Wack em and Hack em - then give them to me after you can get them cheap and make them look CHERRY is CAMO motto.

o1951

PB - my thought was to enter it into shows and donate the prize money to the hospice or other veteran causes. You know I believe Vietnam vets got shafted, and do what I can to help.

zout

Talk about going nowhere fast - that was me.
Got the speedo cable routed and hooked up that had been dangling since who knows when - ahhhh yea - when I took the cab off.

Still gotta fill the trans w/lube - ya all do not let me forget that.
Started picking away on one tire and has 45 lbs air up-side-down with a good seal on the lock ring - let it sit overnight and see if I have a hole in my garage roof in the morning or not.

Some of ya know how to widen a U bolt right !!!!!!!!! or narrow the space on a U bolt right ??????????? same as a lock ring.
Let me state first of all: Let all your lock ring tires get done by a professional no matter what it cost you - PERIOD.
DO not pay attention to anything I mention I have done as I will not be responsible - Period

personally - for myself only remembering U bolt correction - to widen the gap - tape it on an anvil on the U shape exterior
to narrow the gap - tap the closest threaded area together
I find the lock ring no different - its just a different monster waiting to take your head off - or arms - or chest.
I take due caution every step and I trust nothing and triple check everything - and when I do that - that is the only thing on my mind and chore list - Basically it has my total undivided attention.
Here are some pics.
Photo2052.jpgPhoto2053.jpg 3 more to go

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout I have NEVER let my own folks...Troy/Tony or anyone else, mess with lock ring wheels/tires and I have an inflation cage...EVER!!
For the upteenth time...take the tires/rims to a truck shop and get them mounted!! PLEASE!!!

When I was just maybe 8-10yrs old I saw a split ring pop and take a friend of my Dad's head off about eye level in front of his wife and 3 kids. I will NEVER forget that...nor will I ever trust a split ring rim outside an inflation cage.

The tires/rims or even the entire WC22 is not worth you getting hurt to save a few bucks.
If you can't show me an invoice where you had them tires mounted I'm gonna burn your friggin M43B1 to the ground, then I'm headin north and chit will get bad quick!!
:papabear:

zout

PB - your already like 4 months ahead of me of burning down the 43 :popcorn: I am just catching up. I will have an invoice made from the squirrels written in crayon ready for ya. Trans gets filled tomorrow when I get out of prison for my weekend off leave - and see about cleaning up the pig sty garage. I see a 5th tire burning in my near future in the driveway tomorrow.

o1951

Z - Remember those, locking ring wheels are over 1/2 century old, and you do not know their history. Not as bad as split rims, but- If you don't have access to at least a good tire cage- reconsider.

zout

I remember I did work on the WC with what stuff I had for a short time - then I had to mess with PB a bit and christen the windshield.
Those tires look sweet up against the WC.

Photo2057.jpgPhoto2058.jpgPhoto2059.jpg

Got everything disconnected off the 109 except the ground for the box for the marker lights - 4 mount pads each side still bolted up as well (I am not that nuts).

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Where you been PB. That rascal has been looking sweet ever since Zout's BBQ. [thumbzup]
That's true TWM. I'm just running out of words to describe my excitement and appreciation for what I see taking place in a pretty darn short time!!

I asked MB if she would like to ride to church in the WC on nice days. My right eye is not swollen TOO bad and I can still see...
\

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked Mrs EMD if she would ride in the M37 to go get groceries when I bring it home from Ferro's. She stated no way. So, I guess I go grocery shopping alone..........:naner::mrgreen: