• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preamble to yet another WC brought back to life

zout

So what ya saying Swiss - you should have seen my M109 build thread that I had removed - when I last saw it it was over 40,000 views - no chit just ask DH.

Anyhow water under the bridge so to speak.
The bucket behind the beer are the lug nuts soaking in EvapoRust solution
The battery is a new one I just got the acid in for Dinger65 Jeep - he shorted out his other on (good reason why I did not put both in at the same time when I did it so I would have the spare).

Front hubs get done tonight and finish the horn button install so CAMO will have the wire accesible to them when they wire it - same as I did for the fuel sender wiring under the bed.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I sell tickets to the spit swapping event?:mrgreen:

Looking good Zout. I know PB will take great pride in showing the WC in the Veterans Day parade.

zout

PB - you can keep Barbie and her sister - I was hoping you did not notice I left them down there - I would not call them my prize possessions.
imagesCAV6FZOI.jpg

zout

Swiss will be getting happier in more than a couple ways within the next couple weeks - WC should be getting done meaning he can stop counting and contemplating figures and all that mathmatical stuff - he is going to blow his top.

Spoke with Mona at New Life Canvas - she is going to work on the WC upholstery this weekend and hopefully get it out next week - that of course will be the last step because that is where I will have the project at that point. I guess I will have to throw my bucket away or donate it to CAMO Historical Society.

Just think - you'll all get a break from having to look at this thread pretty soon.

o1951

Zout, I have really enjoyed following your restoration. I hope you leave it up as a guide for future WC restorers years from now, when we can no longer personally guide them, as Golden Eagle has done with his restorations.

zout

Front hubs on - test of how the tires will look to further tease the owner.
I did not fix nor swap out that front hub flange - there is another one at CAMO and its an easy fix. I did stick the thick stack of spacers in there because it brought the flange even further out making less room for
spline contact. I highly doubt it needs to be changes because it will not be driven down the highway at top end speed - remember what its intent is for use as PB mentioned.

Will most likely finish some painting tomorrow night while I wait patiently for the last pieces to arrive besides the upholstery.
Photo2096.jpgPhoto2097.jpgPhoto2098.jpgPhoto2099.jpgPhoto2100.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss will be getting happier in more than a couple ways within the next couple weeks - WC should be getting done meaning he can stop counting and contemplating figures and all that mathmatical stuff - he is going to blow his top.
Getting Happy, need to start new German Panzer Build thread :0 Stay Tuned

zout

Yeah - I am selective in who's tongue I want in my mouth PB. Swiss - your going to do your own build thread cause I need no more guff over post counts - you can pick on yourself. See in a week how many counts you get.

o1951

Front hubs on - test of how the tires will look to further tease the owner.
I did not fix nor swap out that front hub flange - there is another one at CAMO and its an easy fix. I did stick the thick stack of spacers in there because it brought the flange even further out making less room for
spline contact. I
Zout - do you mean you did NOT stick the spacers in, or am I confused?

zout

01951 - No I only used 1 of the flange spacers per the TM - when in doubt follow the TM unless there is something really wrong while your holding it in your hand.

The hub is already secure by the spindle nuts and their torqued free play - hub flange has nothing to do with this tolerance.

The flange if you look at the picture when I just slid it almost all the way on - was flush with the end of axle where there is its securing bolt/washer/locknut.
IF - I had used the spacers as I took them out that would have pulled the flange farther out away off the axle (less contact) and at the same time pulling the flange farther away to where it would not have been flush with the end of the axle - but then at least more than a 1/4 inch away - meaning if I put the spacers in and did not pay attention - when I secured the 6 bolts to the flange to hub the end of axle would have been countersunk into the flange by the 1/4 - so when its bolt was installed it would have only been tight to the end of axle & not even touching the flange.

CAMO has another one down there - but I see no reason to replace it - it has plenty of contact - its in tolerance - all components are secure and hub bearings are in proper free play.

Besides - having this confidence in the install - there is no reason to spend the customers money forcing the repair over budget for its intended use.

o1951

Agree with everything you said. I got confused when you said "I did stick the thick stack of spacers in there". I knew that would bring flange out too far. You are creating excellent documentation for future rebuilders.

zout

I typed the "DID" wrong when I did it - did not catch it till later and figured if anyone actually read this thread they might ask :shock:

Sure hope nobody follows my example - some day I am going to actually grow up and learn how to do this stuff.

Should be a very interesting evening tonight - checked the Midwest Military UPS shipping number and John did me good again - got the stuff out early enough Monday the remainder of the parts are getting delivered TODAY - whoooo hoooo. I see some major changes in the WC happening this weekend.

zout

Hopefully the critical come here as well - I would be more than happy to have some of them around here working with me instead of being CRITICAL.

TWM - the map board is 14in x 14in. When I talked with you on the phone I mentioned I would router the front edges to look more uniform instead of so sloppy - I am not allowed to carry sharp objects and I cannot read a tape measure so that is why I laid the tape to show you the measurements. As I said - the under cut finger hole to pull it out was just a cut out of a table saw about 1/4 deep and about 3 inches long (I had to have Zout2 to read the tape measure to tell me that).

Brake lines are totally installed. So is the map board and coated with that epoxy stuff.
Fill the system tomorrow and bleed it.
Fill the paint gun and get the remainder painted @rims @small section underside of the front framework.
Get the correct yoke onto the PTO shaft and that leaking seal changed out.

Literally DROP the WC on the ground and take it across YELLOW RIVER to test it out.
Photo2104.jpgPhoto2105.jpgPhoto2106.jpgPhoto2107.jpgPhoto2108.jpgPhoto2109.jpgPhoto2110.jpg Oh yeahPhoto2111.jpg better get the horn finished and steering wheel nut locked down before I do anything stupid.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I can't think of the appropriate words to say here so I'll just wrap the entire thread into this:

Thank you my Brother for what you have done and are doing, I never expected you to take the truck this far but somewhere, somehow, I will try to return at least part of the favor you have done.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Commander, thanks for the dimensions on the map board. The look totally accurate to me so go ahead and duplicate it and send it my way. I would prefer you make it out of Gopher Wood like the Ark. I would help in high water situations. :beer:

zout

Better yet - I'm going to call Ron today and see if he has any of that tree left he ran the motorcycle into - might as well keep the tree in the family - historic value.

Walked into a cluster **** here at work at 4am this morning - folks concept of "work" has totally taken a crap - wonder what they will think come here the end of the month when the signs go up saying "CLOSED-OUT OF BUSINESS" and they get no severence pay and their vacation pay is gone - wonder if they would want to actually work then ??? Take that statement literally.

The WC -should be nearly done by Sun night @upholstery waiting on yet. Then I will just go over it with a fine tooth comb while I wait for the stuff.
See - your just about done having to read this garble of mine and looking at pictures.

zout

I ordered the ENTIRE brake line - shoes - cylinders - everything - and guess who has nearly everything together EXCEPT item #12 in the TM - one stinking little fitting that goes in the nose of the MC to finish the hook up of the brake system.
Can you say someone is totally pissed off - go ahead cause I am.

The underside is finished painting - along with the rims - and when this idiot removed one of the tire/rims for show to paint it it fell out of my hands (should have never lifted and turned at the same time) and it dropped on the hub hitting the valve stem and thus puncturing it - I have the spare tube here so tomorrow I will break it down and get it all remounted again so the 4th tire can go on so I can sit it on the ground - did I mention I was really pissed off !!!!!!!!!

PB has the remainder of the lug nuts down there so I will not worry about them - the rears are adaptable to mount duals on it (reason for 14 inch drums) and not all the lugnuts are here. I did have to torch the living crap out of 4 of them and hose them down with SeaFoam - will get these split apart tomorrow.
Horn is hooked up but not totally wired in tho (no horn) and CAMO will be doing the wiring anyhow.

Some knucklehead had the galls to send me a pic of standing on a balcony overlooking the Panama City Beach - go figure you'd do that to a buddy.
Photo2112.jpgPhoto2113.jpgPhoto2114.jpgPhoto2115.jpgPhoto2116.jpgPhoto2117.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks