• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preditor Inc. HMMWV HEAVY DUTY 12K HALF SHAFT KIT

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems like you can do it cheaper just sourcing the parts but it is convenient as a kit form but I have no experience with that company.
I have been beating my 7K and 10K axles (mix) for around 6K miles on my Duravee and have not been able to bust any of them or the Autozone 10K shafts only the rubber boots on the Autozone shafts do not like triple digit speeds.

Lothar

I personally think all of Predator Inc.'s offerings are overpriced. I drive a Duramax converted truck daily. It hauls a ton or more of gear. It only received the 10k halfshafts (OEM) in the rear and still has original 7s up front. 35k miles on the conversion. No halfshaft problems. Generally, I am a proponent of upgrading equipment but considering the 10k are plenty sufficient, if you already have them, I would suggest rolling with those. Also, an overbuilt halfshaft would likely relocate a point of failure to another, more difficult to repair area. An upgrade I would encourage and hope to get myself would be brakes.

jrtoffroad

Some day I may do the 12k shaft conversion, but I've been wheeling my HMMWV pretty hard and no issues with the stock 10k's yet. I've broken a driveshaft u-joint, wore out some steering parts, but no axle issues.

hardware1197

Interesting because I'm not convinced I don't have other issues......Stuff only breaks in 2WD but this is 10k shaft #2 but different side.....originals appeared genuine Mil NOS. This one made it 50 miles at no more than 75mph. Maybe I'll do the rears first and see.....I'm not beating it up off road much...

Enjoy my before and after....

b_after.jpg

I personally think all of Predator Inc.'s offerings are overpriced. I drive a Duramax converted truck daily. It hauls a ton or more of gear. It only received the 10k halfshafts (OEM) in the rear and still has original 7s up front. 35k miles on the conversion. No halfshaft problems. Generally, I am a proponent of upgrading equipment but considering the 10k are plenty sufficient, if you already have them, I would suggest rolling with those. Also, an overbuilt halfshaft would likely relocate a point of failure to another, more difficult to repair area. An upgrade I would encourage and hope to get myself would be brakes.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that is the front and you are using the part time MP transfer case then you are having "other" issues unless you are somehow locked in FWD and putting a ton of bind on the drive train.
Or they just forgot to add grease..

hardware1197

That picture is the rear......There was a fair amount of grease tossed around but as you can see in the before picture - a picture I took because it looked like grease was spinning out of the boot - perhaps it was leaking!

If that is the front and you are using the part time MP transfer case then you are having "other" issues unless you are somehow locked in FWD and putting a ton of bind on the drive train.
Or they just forgot to add grease..

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will not last long without grease, I thought that was a before you changed it photo, you should never have driven it like that, especially having taken note of the problem to the tune of snapping a photo of it.
I am willing to bet the clamp was loose on the large end of the boot.
You can see that it got so hot from lack of lubrication it burned all the grease off of the outside of the housing, you should also change that seal as that shaft got hot enough to burn it.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was not a shaft failure, it was a boot failure, at least now you know not to ignore such an obvious problem.
This is a prime example how important daily inspections of the hubs and half shafts are.
A $100 Autozone shaft will do fine as long as you stay out of the high 80s and above, and even if you do tear it up they have a lifetime warranty.
I destroyed 4 of them before realizing that the boots could not take triple digit speeds, they warrantied every one.

hardware1197

Hey - now we are getting somewhere. I should let you know that I had just picked up this rig from being worked on....The before picture I took specifically because after the first 20 mile drive I inspected everything and found that ooozing grease...it was mixed with diesel cause there was a puddle of fuel somewhere from when at the same time the fuel sender had been worked on....

That was not a shaft failure, it was a boot failure, at least now you know not to ignore such an obvious problem.
This is a prime example how important daily inspections of the hubs and half shafts are.
A $100 Autozone shaft will do fine as long as you stay out of the high 80s and above, and even if you do tear it up they have a lifetime warranty.
I destroyed 4 of them before realizing that the boots could not take triple digit speeds, they warrantied every one.

hardware1197

UPDATE: After replacing the half shaft, within 20 miles in 2WD the same RR shaft boot on the brand new shaft was torn with spewing grease and there was evidence of heating. Something not happy at all - Going to troubleshoot maybe aim a GoPro at it to watch for anything funky.....no clue....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing is to look for anything that could have torn the boot, imagine the suspension during its travel and see if anything is interfering.
Inside or out?
Also you are never in 2WD, there is only FWD and FWD locked, there is a differential in the transfer case that allows for uneven rotation of the front and rear diff in 'H'

hardware1197

Thanks Mogman,

That was my first thought too but I cannot see anything that could possibly interfere and cut the boot....The rig never left flat pavement either so there probably wasn't much in the way of suspension travel . This is also why I think I might take the time to mount up a GoPro down there to rule out that scenario...

First thing is to look for anything that could have torn the boot, imagine the suspension during its travel and see if anything is interfering.
Inside or out?
Also you are never in 2WD, there is only FWD and FWD locked, there is a differential in the transfer case that allows for uneven rotation of the front and rear diff in 'H'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks