• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preferred Electric Fuel Pump

19trax95

So to make a long story short, my m1031 I got a 6.5 turbo setup that is mostly complete that I'll be installing in the near future once I gather more parts to do the crossover and downpipe.

But in the mean time, I'd like to get my fuel system converted over to an electric pump and spin on filter. I pretty much have the filter head and filter I want to use picked out.

But the fuel pump I keep seeing all sorts of confliting info on. My plan was to go electric and use the mechanical pump location for the oil drain for the turbo.

I see that the Carter p4070 comes up semi often, but then others say that it doesn't have enough pressure.

So if anyone who has gone electric pump would share what they used, I'm all ears.

reloader64

I used the "stock" inline pump that GM installed on the 6.5TD trucks in the 90s. It works fairly well, as long as your electrical connections are good.

Scott

Reactions: NDT

reloader64

I think mine uses an inverted flare, but I got it from one of the "performance diesel" websites. Depending on where you get it, they may have a specification that gives you that info.

Scott

19trax95

Just to update the thread in case anyone else can find it useful, I have received the pump I ended up going with.

After some back and forth and looking at specs, and what I want to do, I ended up going with a walbro FRB-5 pump. I planned to install it this past weekend but it didn't happen due to time constraints.

But I plan on mounting it down on the frame rail and making a little relay harness to power it on with ignition on. It doesn't draw much so a relay probably isn't needed, but I prefer to do it that way.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to update the thread in case anyone else can find it useful, I have received the pump I ended up going with.

After some back and forth and looking at specs, and what I want to do, I ended up going with a walbro FRB-5 pump. I planned to install it this past weekend but it didn't happen due to time constraints.

But I plan on mounting it down on the frame rail and making a little relay harness to power it on with ignition on. It doesn't draw much so a relay probably isn't needed, but I prefer to do it that way.
I will also need to do this mod as well once I go about installing a turbo. I’m interested to see how this pump works for you.

ridenby

On the passenger side under front of bed on M1008, inside frame rail I installed a zato zone 7-9psi electric pump. It has lasted 5+ years , been under water a few times. Pretty surprised at it.

19trax95

Just to update the thread, I have installed my FRB-5 pump and have been running it for a bit now. Haven't put a ton of miles on it since the weather here has been super hot (for PA) and a flat green truck with no AC isn't too fun to drive haha.

But it's been working great so far. It primes up when I turn the key on, then will shut off once it's primed. Fire it up and it'll run. Engine idle smoother it seems.

I mounted it on the passenger side frame rail under the cab. Nice spot there that's tucked out of the way. I still need to remove my mechanical pump and install my block off. I will be ordering my filter head for the spin on filters soon so I'll do that once i do the filters.

I have since installed the metal shield that was there after modifying it a bit and cleaned up the wiring. Overall I'm pleased with the pump install.

ssdvc

Just a question, but why do you need to "prime" your fuel line before starting? If you don't prime with the electric pump, do you have a hard/no start condition?

19trax95

That's just how this pump functions. It runs initially to build pressure then will shut off so it's not just dead heading itself. Only runs for a second or two when I turn the key on.

ssdvc

So priming with the electric pump was not necessary to start your truck (it started fine without the electric pump?), just a normal bonus of installing the electric pump, is that correct?

Keith_J

Most fuel pumps will easily self prime with diesel. With winter gasoline at summer temperature, especially with a carburator, you can have vapor lock with an electric pump. A bypass type fuel pressure regulator which reduces pressure by returning fuel to the tank primes easily and stops all vapor lock.

In this diesel, any air will travel through the pump to the IP's transfer pump where it exits the charge passage through the vent wire and then goes back to the fuel tank.

19trax95

Yeah the truck started and ran fine without the electric pump.

Only reason I went to the electric pump is because I'm doing a 6.5 turbo setup and will be using the mechanical pumps mounting spot for the oil drain for the turbo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks