• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preparing My Truck for Classic Plates

mbarber84

Hello all,

I just picked up my classic plate paperwork from the Notary. The DMV rejected my application because of the scratches on the front bumper, and said that my paint has a "blue tint" to it.

I admit the paint is somewhat faded, but I didnt think it was THAT bad. Anyway, I have a few questions.

I did some searching on here but couldnt find the direct answer to the questions I have.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1) I bought 12 cans of spray CARC (383 Green & Brown, 911 Flat Black) from Rapco Parts. Anyone have any experience with this paint in the rattle cans? Quality? Durability?

2) Is it possible/practical for me to tape off each section of the cammo pattern and "freshen the paint" with a few coats ?

3) How will the CARC adhere to the paint thats already on the truck?

4) Any other painting tips would be greatly appreciated. I am in somewhat of a hurry to get this project over so that I can re-apply for my classic plate in order to enjoy the truck this summer.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Attachments

droz

wow! to get my classic / historic tags all i had to do was show the title to prove the vehicle was 20 years old or older, pay $55 for the plates for 2 years and head on home.

as for the other questions i have no clue

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Get back in line and get another teller/helper. That one was a fool. I wish my trucks look as nice as yours.

Pinz25086

I would not tape off the pattern. You will get very sharp lines and it will not look correct. Just use the spray cans and roughly follow the pattern. The over spray will be slight but the edge will be feathered. Can not help you with the questions about the spray cans quality ect. as I have never used them but have painted many trucks using a spray gun using the above method. You will want to scuff the old paint and the wipe it down with a prep solvent before you put any of the new paint on or you will not get good results.

Good luck!

txdodge43man

I know from using Rapco spray cans that if your not careful they will run very easy so watch it when you are spraying. The old paint will suck up the new paint quick but it will fade in a year or so. The paint on the truck is CARC the paint that is in the spray cans is oil based paint it will adhere to the CARC pretty good. I would not take the time to tape off each section the over spray would look more original that a tape line,2cents

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Matt shame on you for having such a nice truck. The beauracats have struck again. I am glad in MD that you walk in with the paperwork, answer the question (What is Kaiser, so now I tag all as jeeps) and out I go with a historic set of tags. The SF-97 was an issue in MD for a while but they are seeing more and getting used to it.

m35a2kevin

here in the screwed up state of pa, in order to get classic tags on any vehicle, it has to be in original condition, or restored to. luckly when i got mine switched over from va, all i had to do
was show pictures of it, i cheated, mine would have never been compliant. so i used pictures of someone elses truck. it worked.:-D thank god for maching camo patterns:wink:

kevin

Numbers

mbarber84,

That is one sweet looking truck. I agree with what was said by Gimpy. Get back in line and try another person or try a different office.

Blood_of_Tyrants

The person you got was a mental midget with an Adolf Hitler attitude. Get in line and talk to someone who isn't at total jerk with nothing better to do than be an idiot with a tiny bit of power.

Blood_of_Tyrants

here in the screwed up state of pa, in order to get classic tags on any vehicle, it has to be in original condition, or restored to.

kevin
Who in their right mind expects 40 year old paint to be in perfect condition? Is the paint original? Yes. Are the scratches original? Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

m35a2kevin

2 classic cars in the family had to get paint touchup before tags could get issued. its pretty screwed up. god only knows whats going to happen when i get my general lee?charger finished:cry:

kevin

rockman

Matt, why classic instead of antique? I titled my 1966 as an antique and still used it quite a lot when living in Finleyville.
All I had to do was provide 4 photos. I went to Jaskowichs title messenger servce in Finleyville and it was a breeze.

mbarber84

I went classic because of the fact that the truck is a 1985. In order to qualify as an "antique" the vehicle must be 25yrs old or older, I fell just short of that cut off. Also, with classic, I am a bit more free as to where and when I can drive it.

You used to live in Finleyville? Thats awesome, my grandparents (before they passed) lived in Ginger Hill right down the road. I pass through Finleyville all the time on my way to Bethel Park, where I am storing my truck. My best friend Russ Smith owns Kiefer Coal & Supply Co. next door to the Bethel Park police station. It truly is a small world!!!

Any idea who owns that old deuce across the street from the Dairy Queen??? That truck has been sitting there for ages, and it looks to be in fair shape! I remember riding past the truck all the time when I was little, that used to be the one thing I always looked forward to on the way to the doctors lol.

Thanks for the input all....im still trying to decide what to do.

mutt1966

Iam from Pa. and havent applied for classic or antique plates for awhile but have been told that they are looking at old sales broshures and if the one that they have looks different then the one they have they reject it, how he came to the conclusion that it was to blue is anybodys guess, also this all started with the Vette guys trying to get around lower insurance premiums.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I applied for my Classic tags it was rejected as well. I had to fix the dent in my front bumper and send in new pictures. They didn't catch the dent in the air intake mushroom. Due to the weight class, it will also need to be inspected twice a year with Classic tags.

The decision on issuing tags is made in Harrisburg, not on the local level.
Going to another teller/agency will get the same result.

Paint over the scratches and take picture in a different light and angle. You might want to paint the front punkin as well. It looks like it has a few scratches. Or try repainting the front bumper and send just that picture in. Tell them you have repainted it to eliminate the blue hue and scratches. It's worth a try.

Good luck.

Attachments

Michael

I would not repaint that truck with rattle cans. It might look better for a while but in a year or two it will look worse. I would repaint the bumper, take the chalk markings off the hood and retake the pictures in better/different light. I didn't think the rapco paint was real CARC, it just matches the CARC colors. Scrubbing CARC with scotch brite pads will remove some of the fading.