• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preping your deuce for paint

zout

Some day I am going to learn how to do body work but one of the biggest things when you go to Prime and Paint - pay attention to the temperatures and humidity outdoors unless you have a sealed down draft paint booth system to spray in.

There are many array's of paints and chemicals that do not match each other as well.

From my statements I approached this that most are spraying outdoors in a slightly sealed off area - or in just a really big garage.

From the automotive end there are endless threads of how to from start to finish and it relates totally to MV's as well.

As far as safety - get the best da* respirator money can buy - if you can get an air suit - go for it. Its only your lungs. If you ever saw the chit you spray dried up in a bottom of a bucket you will get the idea. Spraying outside - pay attention to where that overspray and fumes are headed.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do it the same way another member showed me and his trucks looked pretty good. Simple and easy and still looks better than a motor pool job.

Pressure wash anything loose and clean the entire truck.
Mask what you want.
Prime it with Rustoleum.
Rattle can it with Rapco. (Single color takes 20 cans per truck)

Done

Attachments

gungearz

Make sure when your using sanding disks, that you work fast on a big area. To much heat from working on one area will warp a panel... Then it would take the fire and ice method to reshape it back.

gungearz

Yep, very true! I've learned that one the hard way! Sandblasting can seriously warp panels too.
Yea... I found out the hard way with sandblasting also. Until I found out that thin metal shouldn't be sandblasted but mediablasted instead. The best universal media I came accross is dry ice blasting.... Unbelievable results with very minimal mess.

tco3129

I thought OD green was OVER DIRT green. I took a putty knife and popped off loose chips and took to carwash. Was dry by the time I got home so I fired up the paintgun and WALLAH?, I had a green truck. DONE!

Kloakndagr

Here's a question for you guys....anyone think bout painting their duece using a truck bed liner, you know the entire truck. Would kinda intimidating and be pretty durable. Just a thought.

welldigger

Here's a question for you guys....anyone think bout painting their duece using a truck bed liner, you know the entire truck. Would kinda intimidating and be pretty durable. Just a thought.
Pretty much exactly what I am going to do. So far I have decided to use durabak. At least until someone points me to a better product I don't have to tint myself. They offer od green with UV inhibitors as an off the shelf color.