• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prepping the M814 for a long trip

dk8019

So my wife and I are moving down to VA, near Lovettsville, and the M814 will be making the trip down with us.

I've been going through all the standard after winter PMs, greasing the chassis, changing the oil, flush the radiator fluid etc, but I'm wondering what else I might ought to consider doing for the long haul there and back.

Here's what I had considered and I'm looking for advice:

1. Removing the rear most drive shaft between the two rear axles. I've read somewhere here that this can make the trip easier.

2. Putting a shutoff valve on the Sprag for the front to disable the front wheel drive. Only thing is I can't figure out where for the life of me to put the shutoff.

3. Planning to take her in to the truck shop to have the wheels pulled and the bearings regreased etc, I've read a few not happy stories about what happens if that's not done regularly. Brakes will be checked at the same time as well.

Advice on those two would be appreciated, as well as anything else that might make sense that I could be missing. I've done a couple of 180 mile one way trips in this guy, and it does seem to like the road at about 50 MPH, this trip will be closer to 440 miles or so, so I'll be ready with a good book on MP3 to listen to, plenty of fluids etc.

dk8019

Wow guys! I've got it all figured out then! :grin:

Seriously, if anyone thinks of anything, esp. advice on the drive shaft removals etc, let me know.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Advice on those two would be appreciated, as well as anything else that might make sense that I could be missing.
Sorry, not maintenence related but something you might want to check on none the less. Since you will be driving out of state you might want to check on trip permits, both registration and fuel (IRP and IFTA). Even though you are not for hire this is a gray area. The first time I left Virginia soon after I crossed in to NC I got stopped at the first weigh scale I came across and was hit with $600 in fines for lack of IRP and IFTA. Trucks with tandem rear axles fall in to this gray area regardless of weight due to just having the tandems in the first place. You might want to check with each state that you will be going through in regards to whether you will need permits or not. Be sure to ask for regulation or statute numbers that support the official's answer. Also keep a log of who you talked to and when the call took place, especially if the person in question told you you did not need a permit and you get stopped for not having one. This saved my butt more then once when I had a scale official try to cite me for not having them. If you have any other questions about the permits feel free to send me a pm.

Ruppster

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a problem. Just be careful how you refer to the weight of your truck when asking about permits. What you want to use is the trucks weight rating (GVWR), not the actual weight, and make sure they know it is a tandem axle truck. Also make sure you tell them that you are not for hire and that you will be hauling your own stuff.

Ruppster

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks