• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Presidential Candidates Supporting MV Owners

devilman96

My truck is leaving little to guess about whom I am supporting for the presidential primaries… I wanted to ask my choice in candidates’ campaign about their take on MV ownership and surplus sales to the public being that we are all feel pressure here lately from the DRMO and GL when it comes to some of their more annoying practices like post sale EUCs and recalling parts which… well… Don’t fit any category of “national security threat”.

I was also kind’a curious to see how long it would take to get a reply (if I was even going to get one from them)… Posted below are my questions and their response which came about 16 hours later…

.. and guys please… I’m not trying to open this up for debate or a “my candidate is better than your candidate” sling match… If you disagree with my choice in backing please write your preferred candidate and post their response to your questions.

MY QUESTIONS…

I would like to ask the Ron Paul campaign some specific questions regarding military vehicles under private ownership by collectors in the US.

1. DRMO/surplus sales to the public were handed over to private
contractors (Gov. Liquidation) under the Clinton administration which
has put 1000's of US businesses out of business over the past 10
years. What is Dr Paul's take on surplus Military sales and big
business handling them as opposed to how it use to be under DRMO/gov run auctions and control?

2 As a result of the above and contractors mishandling sales by mistakenly selling restricted items to the wrong people many collectors
have recently come under threat by overzealous "security"
measures and or DRMO recalls which would remove or repossess our
vehicles. Please keep in mind these policies are being made out of a
desperate paranoid response to F15 and F16 parts being sold by mistake
to former arms dealers with connections to Iran… We, as owners, own
military VEHICLES not aircraft but are being caught up in the
repercussion of this. What is RP's feelings on private collectors keeping retired, former military vehicles as a hobby?

Thanks,
Mike

THEIR RESPONCE

Dear Mike,

Your question is very specific, and we here at the headquarters don't have quite enough information to give you an “official” response. I do know that as an avid supporter of the 2nd Amendment, Dr. Paul would fight for your right to own military surplus vehicles. I also know that Dr. Paul is opposed to the type of partial privatization that equates to government enforced monopolies. He would much rather the surplus be turned over to the free market so that those business you refer to could still thrive in our United States of America. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'll post the official campaign response on the 2nd Amendment for your consideration.

Thank you for your email, I hope we can count on your support.
Stephen Farrington
Ron Paul PCC

----------------
Thank you for writing to us with your thoughts/concerns about gun control and the Second Amendment. Congressman Ron Paul recognizes that the Second Amendment is "the right the founding fathers saw as the guarantee of every other right". In other words, if we, as free individuals are able to take up arms against a corrupt government, we can secure, for ourselves, all the other rights written into the Constitution. Without Second Amendment rights, we open the doors to losing all our other rights. In a speech to Congress on January 3, 2003, (introducing H.R. 1096) Congressman Paul quoted Thomas
Jefferson: "Thomas Jefferson said 'The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; ...that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.' Jefferson, and all of the Founders, would be horrified by the proliferation of unconstitutional legislation that prevents law-abiding Americans from exercising their right and duty to keep and bear arms. I hope my colleagues will join me in upholding the Founders' vision for a free society by cosponsoring the Second Amendment Restoration Act."

For full text see:
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2003/cr010903.htm

Dr. Paul introduced H.R.1096, which repeals the 1993 Brady Bill. The Brady Bill (H.R. 1025) established a waiting period/instant check system. H.R. 1096 also repeals the "Child Safety Lock Act of 2005" and the "sporting purpose" distinction. The "sporting purpose" distinction can be used to ban certain types of guns. You can read the entire text of H.R.1096 here.

Assault Weapons

In his April 21, 2003 newsletter, Dr. Paul takes the issue of assault weapons head-on. He writes that "the debate about certain types of weapons ignores the fundamental purpose of the Second amendment. The Second amendment is not about hunting deer or keeping a pistol in your nightstand. It is not about protecting oneself against common criminals. It is about preventing tyranny. The Founders knew that unarmed citizens would never be able to overthrow a tyrannical government as they did. They envisioned government as a servant, not a master, of the American people. The muskets they used against the British Army were the assault rifles of the time. It is practical, rather than alarmist, to understand that unarmed citizens cannot be secure in their freedoms. It's convenient for gun banners to dismiss this argument by saying "That could never happen here, this is
America"- but history shows that only vigilant people can keep government under control. By banning certain weapons today, we may plant the seeds for tyranny to flourish ten, thirty, or fifty years from now.

Tortured interpretations of the Second amendment cannot change the fact that both the letter of the amendment itself and the legislative history conclusively show that the Founders intended ordinary citizens to be armed. The notion that the Second amendment confers rights only upon organized state-run militias is preposterous; the amendment is meaningless unless it protects the gun rights of individuals.
Georgetown University professor Robert Levy recently offered this simple explanation:

"Suppose the Second amendment said 'A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed.' Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read?"

For full text see:
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2003/tst042103.htm

Snipers, Terror, and Gun Control

Here is part of a brief article about the sniper shootings (Fall 2002) where Dr. Paul reiterates that it is not guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens that is the danger. Despite all the talk about rifles, the undeniable truth is that armed citizens are safer than disarmed citizens. We can't know, of course, that armed citizens would have prevented any of the shootings or brought the sniper to justice more quickly. Yet it's hard to imagine the sniper choosing Texas or another well-armed southern state to commit his crimes. The bottom line is that criminals seek defenseless, unarmed victims. Any criminal operating in the suburbs of Washington DC, southern Maryland, and northern Virginia- all bastions of anti-gun sentiment- can reasonably assume that his victims will not shoot back.

For most Americans, guns are not a political issue. People buy and own guns to protect their families, not to commit crimes. The truth is that even millions of Americans who support and vote for gun control own guns themselves, because deep down they share the basic human need to feel secure in their homes. Since September 11th, that sense of security has been shaken, resulting in a big increase in gun sales across the country. Most supporters of gun rights take no pleasure in this fact, nor do they trumpet it as a political victory over gun control forces. The time has come to stop politicizing gun ownership, and start promoting responsible use of firearms to make America a safer place. Guns are here to stay; the question is whether only criminals will have them."

For full text see:
http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2002/tst102802.htm

For more articles on his position on guns, see:
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/topic.php?id=17

I hope this helps you better understand his position on guns and gun control. If, after reading the suggested documents, you still have questions or concerns, please feel free to email us back.

Thank you for your interest in Congressman Ron Paul.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was interested in Mike Huckabee but from what you posted Ron Paul seems to support all the things I hold dear as a gun owner. But more specifically supporting the US Constitution is critical which he seems to support. I am an officer and have sworn to protect it against all enemies.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe Ron Paul is our last best chance to actually get a freedom loving statesmen in office, rather than another self-promoting loser like most of the other candidates. He truly puts Americans and their best interests FIRST, and supports our Constitution, our liberties, and our freedoms more than any other candidate.

I have no doubts that our MVs will be safe if he is elected president.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dman, did you send the campaign office a picture of your truck? you would be a hit I'm sure! I too see this election as a chance to plug some of the leaks threating to sink this great country of ours.

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,Click the link in my siggy.2nd amendment is not hte only thing he stands up for.Anti-Abortion,Anti IRS,Anti Nafta,Anti WTO etc,For securing our borders,No amnisty,Track Visa holders and deport the ones staying past the date on it,No welfare for illegals,If the parrents are illegal the child is illegal,Lower taxes,End free hand outs to scum,etc etc etc.....Amazing a candidate has the balls to actually stand up for the American way of life

kcimb

Here in Pensacola there are tons of "Google ron paul" and "Ron paul 08" signs everywhere..just out of reach.

My sig explains my views...

devilman96

Dman, did you send the campaign office a picture of your truck? you would be a hit I'm sure! I too see this election as a chance to plug some of the leaks threating to sink this great country of ours.
Naw... I mean... Its a statement for sure but when you look at some of the stuff others are doing for support him its pretty small... I cant give directly to the campaign because of the store (contractors can not donate to campaigns) so I am finding other ways to do what I can, sponsoring other endeavors like the blimp www.ronpaulblimp.com, links on the store's site for the 07 Tea Party www.teaparty07.com, registering first time voters and getting a lot of Dem's to switch sides for the primaries *grinz*, local meetup groups www.meetup.com, etc, etc… I have a really hard time sinking to the level of “sign waving” on a street corner but I think getting his message out to as many people as possible is a huge priority... Im tired... I have no spare time... im strapped for cash... but im so greatful and passonate to see a change happen I make the time... This is my country and I aim to see it taken back I guess!!!

With this election and with all of the changes I’ve seen with the DRMO, surplus, EUCs, contractors handling most of what our servicemen use to do on US bases. The current state of affairs in the US jobs going over seas, trade agreements, spending, taxes, the dollar, and my civil liberties being trampled more and more each day. Ugh… Where does it ever end? I live here… I exist here… I function… I am a patriot… but this is no longer MY country and it really bugs me to the core with a very disgusted and uneasy feeling.

However… my apathy has been cured… Thomas Jefferson once said “All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.” Its amazing how smart our forefathers were in 1776!!! For the first time ever I will be heading to the poles to vote FOR someone… Which will be quite a change as I’ve always had to cast my vote AGANST someone in the past.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks