• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pretty decent fuel mileage I'm thinkin'

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been driving the 1009 like there is a raw egg under the accelerator pedal....this mornings fillup computes right at 20 mpg. I'm pretty happy with that.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's some good numbers. I can hope for similar numbers with my Oh-8 after the 700R4 conversion. My RPM should be 1oo lower than yours at 65mph.

FLINT

20mph is good for an old truck. we had a 2004 sedan that got that about 20 mph with normal driving - and thats a newish car - not an old truck !

This June I got 19mpg in my 1028 on a 150mile trip driving exactly 50 mph the whole time (except for slowing down to stop and start of course).

Normally I get between 13 - 16 mpg in the truck.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running stock 31" tires on stock steel 15" rims, max speed 55 mph, most driving is between 40 and 50 mph. I fill just to the bottom of the fill tube so I can do it the same way each time. Tire pressure is 45 psi.

I hear you guys talking 70 mph....I dunno...mine seems wound up tight at 60 so I keep it 55 or below.

combatmech

I have been getting a constant 18-19MPG with my oh-nine. Adding Diesel Kleen evey other fill up. Running 65 on the freeway, 33's at 40psi. Way better than my GTO.

SGT Estum

I have been getting a constant 18-19MPG with my oh-nine. Adding Diesel Kleen evey other fill up. Running 65 on the freeway, 33's at 40psi. Way better than my GTO.
I've been rolling my 33x12.5R15 BFG A/T's at 36psi and, until now, hadn't thought twice about it. Looks like I'll be pumping those babies up a bit :beer:

combatmech

I've been rolling my 33x12.5R15 BFG A/T's at 36psi and, until now, hadn't thought twice about it. Looks like I'll be pumping those babies up a bit :beer:
I have BFG A/T's as well. L O V E them!!! Had them put on July 2010 and the TP has stayed the same over the past year. I'm also running with a K&N air filter.....Not sure if it matters though. I drive mine just about everyday!!

donalloy1

Must be doing something wrong on this end? I continue to get about 15.5 mpg no matter how I drive. Wonder if odometer is shot? I here all speaking 20+ mpg all the time. Need to go back to gps and re-evaluate. Motor seems tight. I wonder how many are realizing 15.5 ish and how many getting 20ish? Any thoughts. DMLII sends...

Barrman

Verify your odomter with gps or interstate mile markers. Do as long of a run as possible to find out exactly what percentage you are off. My speedo with the BFG 33x12.40 is off 12 percent, but the odometer is only off 6 percent.

Town driving can really kill your mpg's no matter how careful you are with the throttle. I have gotten as low as 15 with just running around town. Next tank on the open road 20-22. Now, I am down to 18-19 on the open road and will put in an IP replacement soon because I can smell diesel leaking out the throttle shaft seals. How is your IP?

DrJekl

There is a guy at work that swears his charger gets 32MPG and he can't keep his foot out of the floor. After riding with him one day he shows me the little meter in the car that tells him his current MPG while he is cruising on 4 cylinders on the highway and sure enough he is getting 32MPG. Just at that instant in time however. In reality that POS car is probably pulling down abour 14 the way he drives it.

I get consistant 15 MPG (no better, sometimes 12 or 13 if I am pulling) out of my M1031 and that is with a gear vendor OD unit installed. Very respectable in my opinion for a big old heavy truck.

Must be doing something wrong on this end? I continue to get about 15.5 mpg no matter how I drive. Wonder if odometer is shot? I here all speaking 20+ mpg all the time. Need to go back to gps and re-evaluate. Motor seems tight. I wonder how many are realizing 15.5 ish and how many getting 20ish? Any thoughts. DMLII sends...

donalloy1

condition of ip is a question mark. plan on rebuilding/replace soon just because its 25 years old. suppose it is original? keep my tires at 40psi per tm on stock 31.50's. mixed driving freeway/city. should not complain. gets better mpg than ranger with v-6 and weighs another 2k#. will continue diagnostics and replacement as wear identified. sure its all needing attention. we all generally have a budget.:(

DokWatson

A lot of roads here are 35-45mph if you stay off the highway. The highest MPG I've gotten out of my monster was 19 sticking to the backroads, thats running at about 1700RPM. I average 12 otherwise, thats a mix of highway (65) and city (25-45) which really kills the MPG potential. A friend of mine has a bone stock crew cab with a 6.2, he averages 25mpg.

Last edited:

donalloy1

dokwatson, sounds like you and i are realizing similar mpg under same conditions. ip condition has been brought up. hows condition of yours?

SGT Estum

dokwatson, sounds like you and i are realizing similar mpg under same conditions. ip condition has been brought up. hows condition of yours?
It looks like you have an M1009 and he has a M1028. It should be expected that they get significantly different miles per gallon. M1009 should get way, way better.