• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pretty sure I need new batteries...

dc9137

I got my M1028 today from GL and someone had left the blackout light switch on so the batteries were completely drained. They have a 2010 date on the so I was hoping they will still be good.

• I took them out and charged each of them individually and re-installed.
  • I turned the key and the dummy lights were very dim...then got brighter after a few seconds.
  • Gen 1 and 2 lights were on but the voltmeter didn't move.
  • It took approximately 45 sec for the wait light to go off then I turned the key and it just buzzed at me. Didn't even attempt to turn over.
What do you think? New batteries?

Scarecrow1

I would take them and have a load put on them to see if there is a chance of saving them. I did that but had to buy two new ones anyway but , it answered the question and I already had them for the trade in

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are 6TLMF's or whatever they call them, 2 years is tops for them. You can try to hot charge them for a couple days but all that will do is buy you a some months before you get stranded somewhere. Can you tell I hate 6TL's? I expect 5 years from an expensive battery, not 2.

dc9137

I couldn't tell a bit. :) They are Interstate U6TL Heavy Duty Workaholic's.

If they are 6TLMF's or whatever they call them, 2 years is tops for them. You can try to hot charge them for a couple days but all that will do is buy you a some months before you get stranded somewhere. Can you tell I hate 6TL's? I expect 5 years from an expensive battery, not 2.

Skinny

Your load test was the GP's warming up causing the Gen lights to dim. Take them out, top them off, then crank the amps to them. If that doesn't fix it they are probably sulfated from sitting and need to be replaced.

Triple check your connections for voltage drops. Get a volt meter on them and see what voltage you have with the key off and when the GP's cycle.

Red_506

If you have a store like batteries plus you can take them in and have them do a deep cycle charge for you and they will retest once that is done. Beyond that, replace them.

dc9137

It was quite funny...my 7 year old daughter climbed in the seat with me while it was running and said "Wow! This thing is a monster!" :)