• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price for a M35A2?

sua_sponte_rgr

What is a good price for a M35A2? If this has already been discussed in a forum I missed sorry to bring it up again, just directly me to that forum.

Hi, I'm a new member, spent the last week reading the forum, and found a lot of great tips for deuces. I started out getting interested in Gama Goats but after doing some research, finding the GL site, and this site I realized that what I really need is a good usable truck for carrying the occasional big load that can also be a big toy.

I need a truck that I can drive a 1000 miles in a weekend, if needed, with no worries. I not interested in a historically correct restoration. A winch and cargo top would also be nice to have. I don't mind traveling to pick up a trunk I can drive home, I don't have the means to haul or tow a deuces.

I've watched Ebay and I watched the last round of GL deuces sales, I even bid a few rounds on the 72 deuces in VT but from what I read in some of the post its probably good that I didn't go too high in the bidding (sorry if I was bidding against any of you). I've also seen that there are a few M35A2 listed on this sites classified section. Prices seem to vary between $2500 on GL (buyer beware) to $6500 for a nicely restored M35A2 on Ebay. Given what I described above are there any thoughts as to what I should be willing to pay.

Thank You
John C.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
Welcome!

I was exactly where you are now, back in November. I finally got the wife to agree to let me get 'a new toy'. It was actually her idea so I would 'get out' more.

ANYWAY, I looked. AND LOOKED. Talked to everybody. It's like this.

If you purchase a deuce from a company that sells deuces, expect to pay a minimum of about $5000 or up.

If you go the GL route, you already know the 'buyer beware' warning. AND you should look locally in your area. If there is NOT a base some where near you, spread your search a little at a time. Prices on a deuce that is being sold by GL can vary anywhere from $2000 up to about $6000 but at the upper end it should be in excellent shape. Something that you can jump in, start up and drive right away.

Next, and this is where I got my deuce from, is from a private seller. I just got lucky. A guy not thirty miles from my home listed one of his MV's here. We do have a classified section. I paid $3500 and it was a steal. It's in excellent shape. Runs well and has very little wrong with it. Things like broken drivers side glass, things like that.

Finally is ebay. I ebay all the time. Both buy and sell. YOU can get lucky. But normally they are in the $5000 and up range. That's what I've seen. And I watched for almost three months before I 'got lucky'.

I wish you well and hope you get lucky like I did. If something doesn't 'feel' right, trust your gut and run, not walk away.

If you have any questions and/or just want someone to talk to about this, email me.

jim

Caveat - this is ONLY for deuces. If you want a 5 ton, the price just goes up. j

rice

Don't forget GSA

I've bought my deuces from GSA and have got super bargains compared to what I see elsewhere http://gsaauctions.gov
GSAalways lists their vehicles as needs repair and parts may be missing. But if you can go look you'll find some good deals. I bought one in January for $878.00 and drove it 250 miles home without doing anything but replace a taillight bulb.
This picture is of a truck I bought June 2005 for $1165.00 I removed the fire body, installed the drop side bed and painted it. I did have to replace the master cylinder after I drove it awhile. I now have about $2100 invested in a truck with 3375 actual miles.

Attachments

colyork

I paid $5500 for mine but I didn't have to do anything to but put insurence and plates on it. By the way I am in Sanford
have you tried that guy over in Berwick? He has one in His yard. I don't know the condition of it though. his phone number is 207/698/1328

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Colyork,
I don't know who you will use for insurance. I used Gulfway Insurance out of Florida. We have an agreed upon value of $5000. It cost me $283 a year.

MY PLATES are collectors plates and in Colorado you pay for five years at a time. That was a little over $525. But the plate says "11" on them for the year to renew. Kinda kewl really.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
colyork,
Well that beats me hands down. Could I get the name of that company for next years insurance? Either pm or email me. Take your time, as my insurance just took effect for one year.

jim

eddiec

if you do go to bid on one, check here, there might be someone close by that can go look at it for you, and relay the condition, as well as any known problems. better to know before than after.

mcmullag

Not to get off the subject too much, but you mentioned real cheap insurance, and collectors plates and I have seen this info put out on threads before. Here in Missouri, it is my understanding that our collector plates or classic vehicle plates may be bought cheaply but only allow you to use the vehicles to go to parades and car shows. In other words, if the local cops saw me pulling in to the gas and go on my way to work or running errands each weekend in my huge, different-looking than all the other vehicles on the road ( still dreaming, don't have a deuce yet)...don't ya think they would come over and talk to you and say, if your gonna drive that thing on the street about every week, ya gotta pay the full price for licensing and have her up to specs on any type of inspections for all the other vehicles on the road out here, to be fair to the other kids paying full price. I'm just saying....
* been reading ss since last fall and you guys are great and unbelievably informative.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Colorado, we can drive any vehicle over 25 years old with collectors plates as long as we like.

colyork,
THX. I'll have to talk to them and see if they can sell me insurance out here in Colorado.

jim

kenny

There is one in San Antonio For 275 dollars on GSA and it ends Tuesday the 28th of this month.
I looked at it today and it would make a great parts truck.
All the tires are up.It looks like the only big thing wrong with it is the front clip is gone.
It has the fold down sides on the bed.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey RICE,

I've got one for you. When I went in to transfer the title for my deuce, the guy at the desk said my truck weighed 6400 lbs. I said, "Uh, I think it's more like 13000 lbs".

His response was, "Not according to THIS title" and held up the previous owners title. Not being a person to 'fight city hall', I knew when to shut up.

Probably saved me about $200+ . AND if I ever get stopped in my neighborhood, where it says 'no trucks over 7000 lbs', MY registration says 64 (as in 6400 lbs).

Who knew the truck weighed so little?

jim

eddiec

in indiana, you can get a Historic Military Vehicle plate instaed of the collectors plate or the antique plate. don't know if your state has them, but we can drive our mv all the time that way.

dma251

Speaking as a former police officer, and a Deuce owner that drives his deuce all over the place with collector's plates - here's the deal in washington State-

In Washington you are permitted to drive up to 2500 miles per year to and from shows or events, OR for non-hauling trips for the purpose of pleasure.

That being said I will add this - there is no method of documenting miles when you buy your collector plates, there is no annual tab renewal, so there is no later opportunity to document mileage either. Police officer's MDT's (computer's) don't display old mileage. I have never met the cop that would stick his neck out and hassle someone for driving frequently on a collector plate simply because there is no way to PROVE anything. Not where you are going, not where you are coming from. Nor how many miles you have put on it in the last year. Cops by and large hate to be wrong, and this is an issue where they would be proven wrong in court VERY easily. There is no proof, and just seeing you driving around a lot is not near enough.

When you drive a Deuce around, EVERYWHERE you go is a show...

Oh, and State Farm insures my truck for $105 yearly for full coverage w/$100 deductibles.

m.walker

Mcmullag I live in Mo. your allowed 1500 personal miles a year not counting parade,shows or maintenance ( so of course I'm always driving it to be worked on , Right ? ) I've got a 5 ton and I've got historical tags , the state for some reason lists the body style as a pickup . I dont care mines legal ! $25 permanent tag no inspections , $54 dollars a year for $3000 full coverage . So when you get a duece it'll be cheaper than a pickup to get legal ! I'm happy , Mark .

marksgarage2

I live in NJ in the country, but when I drive into the city the people always go nuts over my deuce. The police don't even look at me. I have never been stopped and most officers wave. I have pickup tags because they have no classification for 3 axle 13,500 lb truck. The tag is 60.00 a year and antiuqe ins 98.11 a year. Added my 46 willys for another 48.61. A few years ago a 17 yr old punk kid got a deuce and drove it in the same busy town for a year. He was seen running lights and other dumb stuff with no tags and ins. And no one stopped him. He finally blew out the spiders in one of the axles that parked it. He came to my shop but I will not help him. The deuce was nice before, but now the winch is even blown apart. Guess what......its for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks