• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price for a rebuild..

maybefixit

Glad to hear you found the motor would rotate. I was afraid you had a totally seized bearing in there since the starter would not turn. With the engine having been under (any) power after making expensive noises, I'd be skeptical of its survival. I'd recommend getting some very cheap oil (or using leftover new oil of any weight) and adding a quart or so to the engine. Then drain the oil into a clean, open pan and see whether any metal chunks are washed out with the oil. Also remove the oil filter, cut the bottom off with a hacksaw, and see if there are any metal chunks/flakes/etc in the oil filter paper.

Watch the oil stream as it comes out, if the stream splits then there may be a big chunk that is partly blocking the oil drain hole. If you don't have a spare oil filter then get the cheapest one you can, since it might become a throwaway with the old block (you can probably get a canned rebuilt motor from GL cheaper than manually rebuilding yours). Of course, if the motor is totally fried maybe it doesn't matter if the oil filter seat is allowed to rust. Putting an oil filter on the engine would help prevent it from dripping oil on the ground while you strategize.

Dabba

Eh, i broke down and brought it to a mechanic. I got out there and tried getting the starter off, i was just breaking my knuckles trying to get the bolts off, not to mention the foot of snow around me and the dirt blinding me. I cant wash the underside of the truck and its not even in the driveway. Cant get my impact gun to it either. I would even do the rear main myself if i was in the driveway in decent weather or could get it to a garage but eh. So im having him do it, i figure that if anything big happens its there already, so ill keep you guys updated.

just for the record im all about doing my own work, already did my kingpins and front output shaft seals on the tcase, its just too damn cold now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks