• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price?

bkwudzhom

I understand that without pics it is impossible to price something. However I just saw an M52A2 for sale beside the road right down from my house! I haven't had the chance to check it out--- muchless take pics so please hold on the "usless w/o pics " comments. I have no expirence with these so I was looking for some guidelines for inspection as well as reasonable prices. I would like to pick it up to make a 4x4 hauler with it-so the hitch and 1 axle would be up for sale. Any suggestons?
Thanks
BK

Capt.Marion

Depending on what kind of hauling, you may want to look at something civilian as the 5 ton M49 series don't have an OD transmission, making for slow going...

EDIT: To answer your question:

Look for cab rust in areas that would be difficult to repair, damage to the truck's frame... Does it run, smoke badly, any knocks or unpleasant noises? I'm assuming it has the multifuel LDS that A2 trucks are supposed to have. Check the data plate for the transmission shift pattern. See if it has the non-OD transmission (standard shift pattern) or the OD transmission (from the M35A2 where 4th and 5th gear appear to be backwards). They are supposed to have the non-OD transmission as they are a bit too heavy for the OD transmission (you won't ever make it to 5th gear).

I'd recommend reading up a little bit on the 5-Ton page in the Wiki to familiarize yourself a bit with the truck's specs, etc...

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had a multi-fuel tractor and they are SLOW on the road......I drove from Eglin Fla to north Alabama and it took me about 12 hours (made it in a car in 6) and my average speed was 35mph....I was towing a van trailer and on flat ground I could manage 45mph if I had a 50mph tailwind.

All 5 tons, gassers, multis and diesels, are gearbound no matter what transmission is in them.

As far as value, that is in the eye of the buyer......if it is a basket case figure scrap value.

If it is a good runner and in good physical shape figure scrap value and add a few hundred bucks.

Last edited:

dc3coyote

Wreckerman is right. First you should consider what kind of load and where your going to be hauling and where. Pretty much anything on paved roads I would go with a civi tractor.

If you look in the governments MV dictionary, you wont find a listing for the word "speed".
It has a m35 cab, I would look on the thresholds, and around the door openings. That is where I always see the most rust and cancer.
Good luck, now go get me some pictures.

bkwudzhom

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at selling the hitch, extra axle and bobbing it if the price was right. Making a heavy hauling farm/woods truck. A few trips to town for heavy supplies while building our house as well as something to pull out the "hunters" that come down from the city in their crewcab 4x4's and get stuck--for a price of course. :grin:

Here are the few cell phone pics I got before dark.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hummmm.....as the bulldog said when he backed into the barbed wire fence......."rough, rough, rough."

She needs some TLC......but might be a diamond in the rough.

That does not appear to be a stock military 5th wheel.

Hardtop is a plus and can be sold easy if you have to part it out.

There is a limited market for 5 ton running gear to the guys that build swamp buggies.

If you take the spare tire rack off you can mount a deuce bed on it for trips to Home Depot, etc.

The grass growing on the frame tells me she has been sitting a while.

Having owned a similar beast I would offer a grand (if it is a runner) and see what happens.

At 20,000 lbs (my guesstimate) the scrap value is $1400.00 bucks at $7.00 per hundred.

If you want a farm truck I would look for a deuce for ease of maint, parts and the fact that everything on a 5 ton is heavier than a 5 ton. That is why I am out of the 5 ton club.

Just my 2 cents worth.

bkwudzhom

So the verdict is in. Better to pass on it and get a deuce. Guess I need to see what the price is. If has been siting for a while I might get it for a song.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks