• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary fuel filter woes.

BillIdaho

Gentlemen: I hAve a 1968 Kaiser M54A2C. I haven't had it long, and it's time for a filter change (oil and fuel). Here is my problem. (Let me interrupt myself, I tried the search, but my web-fu must not be very good)
I was given Fram 3512's for the secondary fuel filters. The old ones were pretty rough. They were the old style "cloth" covered element, with a metal plate on each end. I noticed the Fram 3512's were a metal container design.
When I opened up the cannister for the primary, I discovered the same style of element. When I took it to the local parts house, (Shucks, Autozone, NAPA, etc) they did their cursory search, and said they didn't have anything like it. When I suggested just measure it and match it that way...it was like asking for their next paycheck. When they asked what vehicle it was out of, I reluctantly told them. Somehow I knew that wasn't going to go over very well.
I read on the technial thread here a Fram 3512 is supposed to work, but at two of the places, they said no way, they didn't even list it.
Certainly something is commonly available. (?)