• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

priming fuel system

rescueram

Hi,
I am new to the maintenance aspect of M35A2's. I am doing a PM on a recently acquired 1971 AMG with a Hercules multifuel. I have a couple quick questions:

1. Is it necessary to re-prime the fuel system when doing a fuel filter service (primary, secondary and final)?

2. If so, what is the procedure (manually refilling canisters, cracking injector lines at the injector, etc)?

3. I think the in-tank electric pump is el-tostado; will I be able to get the truck running again without it?

If this has been asked 1,000 times before, please don't flame me. I tried searching previous threads and didn't find what I was looking for. I don't have access to a TM, so I am hoping someone will guide me. Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

:)

wsucougarx

Yes you do prime the fuel system. There is a relief valve on top of the secondary/final fuel filter assy. Open the valve, turn on the accessory switch, you'll hear the air purging through, then fuel...shut the valve and start cranking

Before toasting the intank pump, check the fuse to make sure that is toast rather than the entire pump. Do you get any sound when you flip the accessory switch or vibration from the top of the in tank fuel pump cover?

Last edited:

littlebob

I've not had that issue yet and all I can tell you to is go to resourse and find the TM there. I changed all of my filters and was able to get going again by first running the in tank pump to purge the air out of the secondaries. Without a functional pump I don't know

jim-m35a2

My in-tank pump took a dump too. I bought a 24V in-line pump from NAPA for 90 bucks and cut the fuel line above the tank and installed it. The fuel system is a loop system and I just ran the pump till the air bubbles in the tank slowed down and fired the truck up. There is a company that sells new in-tank fuel pumps for $200+ bucks, do a search on this site and the guys name will come up.

Jim
Jim
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited:

rescueram

Thanks for all the quick replies. The LP does not make any noise when the master is on... I will be checking the fuse and pump condition tomorrow, though based on the amount of crapola that came from the filters, I am afraid of what I will find both there and in the tank.

WSU- The bleeder is the brass screw (maybe nut, I can't remember) on the assembly, between the two filters?

Jim- Do you have any pictures of your pump install? I'm going for functionality, not authenticity. The NAPA pump seems like the solution for me if the in-tank pump is dead. By chance, did Napa stock that pump?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks